Roast Tigers getting sent back to the Cattery ?

Remove this Banner Ad

We make more money playing games at SS. We need a full MCG to make the same kinda cash as a full SS. We would need more fans than a Geelong Richmond game has typically drawn to make it worth our while.
No offense meant as I understand what you're saying, but how is that our clubs problem?

If your supporters don't turn up to our home game do you think we somehow make more money out of it?

This would also apply to Richmond considering we have more members than Essendon.

It's all about attendances though. Geelong v Essendon clashes have pulled more through the gates in recent times than those against Richmond. If both of us happen to be successful on the field over the next few years, then it'll be moved to the MCG, but until then it makes more sense for us business-wise to play such matches at Kardinia Park.

I believe one of the reasons we get picked to play SS is due to being paid on some occasion to play there...selling a home game for example. We don't need to do that now, so if i was Gale I would be telling the AFL to go get stuffed or if they have to they make sure our fixture we play GWS in melbourne twice..

Nobody in their right mind would demand a Geelong-Hawthorn game at Simmonds. It has become the biggest home and away clash in the comp, even outstripping the drug cheats vs Collingwood Anzac Day farce.
If the Cats want a big Vic club, then I'm afraid it's either us or the Blues.
As I said, I don't mind. I live in Barwon Heads.

We wouldn't pull anywhere near 80,000 against Hawthorn at the 'G if both sides were, say, 10th and 16th. They were playing at Simonds until relatively recently (2006) and will probably be back there once they aren't so successful and their crowds/membership base drops off.

No offense meant as I understand what you're saying, but how is that our clubs problem?

If your supporters don't turn up to our home game do you think we somehow make more money out of it?
Didn't we only get 30k this year. Can't complain about it if that's how many turn up.

It's all about attendances though. Geelong v Essendon clashes have pulled more through the gates in recent times than those against Richmond. If both of us happen to be successful on the field over the next few years, then it'll be moved to the MCG, but until then it makes more sense for us business-wise to play such matches at Kardinia Park.
The last 7 clashes between the sides, Richmond has been the home side only once and that game drew 55,625 people, let's see how attendances fare when Richmond has been the home side for a while because it's about time geelong started being the away side for a while in games between the two.

Richmond as the home team vs Geelong at the MCG 2002-2014, average attendance 40,904 ( 5 games)
Richmond as the home team vs geelong at mcg/Etihad combined 2002-2014 average attendance 39,664. (7 games )
Richmond vs Geelong at mcg / Etihad 2002-2014 average attendance 38,127 (11 games)

I don't mind it, if it's there home game then it's there home game. I hated going to the mcg this year against the cats as a cats home game. who TF cares?

As long as we are not fixtured to play them at Simonds Stadium in Round 23 in case we need to win that game to make finals

As I said on the main board's thread, I don't mind playing them there but I think it should be shared as we've played there more than probably the rest of the big clubs (Essendon, Blues, Hawks and Pies) combined in the last 14 odd years.

Now that we're (touch wood) seemingly on the up, we'll probably attract more fans to games in Melbourne.

Didn't we only get 30k this year. Can't complain about it if that's how many turn up.
2014 - 35k, 3:20pm on a wet Sunday afternoon where it was fully ticketed (from memory)
2013 - 56k, 7:40pm on a Saturday night, Richmond home game (200th game Stevie J, 250th Enright)

2014 - 35k, 3:20pm on a wet Sunday afternoon where it was fully ticketed (from memory)
2013 - 56k, 7:40pm on a Saturday night, Richmond home game (200th game Stevie J, 250th Enright)
Our home game numbers don't count. It's how many of us actually bothered to turn up to an away game? Didn't it get mentioned here earlier that 2500 away game members went to the game? If they allocate at least that many then I can't see an issue. Geelong should be able to play whoever they want at their own ground, even if they want to play 11 games there then go for it.

At the same time we should be asking for all our games at the MCG.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our home game numbers don't count. It's how many of us actually bothered to turn up to an away game? Didn't it get mentioned here earlier that 2500 away game members went to the game? If they allocate at least that many then I can't see an issue. Geelong should be able to play whoever they want at their own ground, even if they want to play 11 games there then go for it.

How many away game members do we have, how many geelong home game members scanned in, how many people paid at the gate, as far as I'm concerned there were more Richmond supporters at that game than geelong supporters.

How many away game members do we have, how many geelong home game members scanned in, how many people paid at the gate, as far as I'm concerned there were more Richmond supporters at that game than geelong supporters.
Seems that its only the away members that are supposed to be guaranteed access to away games then they're the only ones relevant to the debate. Home members only and general admission people it's just bad luck for.

If it's a Geelong home game it's really not ridiculous to have to play at their home ground.

Seems that its only the away members that are supposed to be guaranteed access to away games then they're the only ones relevant to the debate. Home members only and general admission people it's just bad luck for.

If it's a Geelong home game it's really not ridiculous to have to play at their home ground.
Just went and re-read the article, no mention of how many geelong members turned up, maybe they were too embarrassed to quote this and SS now holds 33,800 people but in a one team town they are only averaging 25,000 this year at SS, says more about geelong supporters to me., geelong might need to get the seat covers off port Adelaide soon if that keeps up.

No I'm just saying there's more to it than 2500 scanned in, particularly with the ticket price problems this year
- There was no GA, had to upgrade your ticket
- Ticket prices are too expensive
- It was Sunday afternoon
- It was wet
- We were playing like s**t

Just went and re-read the article, no mention of how many geelong members turned up, maybe they were too embarrassed to quote this and SS now holds 33,800 people but in a one team town they are only averaging 25,000 this year at SS, says more about geelong supporters to me., geelong might need to get the seat covers off port Adelaide soon if that keeps up.
If they're only averaging 25k people then it shouldn't be an issue for us to get in. :p

No I'm just saying there's more to it than 2500 scanned in, particularly with the ticket price problems this year
- There was no GA, had to upgrade your ticket
- Ticket prices are too expensive
- It was Sunday afternoon
- It was wet
- We were playing like s**t
I don't recall having to upgrade a ticket. I was going to rock up on the day but I was sick. FWIW I'm an away member so it does affect me but that's my fault for not going. The other excuses are pretty soft. We were s**t and it was a Sunday. :p

In the last 10 years there have been 15 games between us, only 5 have been our home game. Including 5 away games in a row
That's probably a good thing for you guys given the poor crowds Cats Tigers games draw.

If I was Geelong I would rather play the bigger drawing Victorian clubs in Melbourne as a home game. You would get way more ticket sales and exposure. Keep the low drawing crowd teams down in Geelong. If they were smart they would have their home game against us at the MCG like they did this year.

They make way more money even on lower crowd attendance at Kardinia than they do the G

Nobody in their right mind would demand a Geelong-Hawthorn game at Simmonds. It has become the biggest home and away clash in the comp, even outstripping the drug cheats vs Collingwood Anzac Day farce.
If the Cats want a big Vic club, then I'm afraid it's either us or the Blues.
As I said, I don't mind. I live in Barwon Heads.
Wouldn't object as I'm in Leopold!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back