Tim Rogers recording new theme song?

Revamped theme song

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's not judge till we hear it. It could be awful it could be wonderful.

In this boat. There's a serious musician involved in the recording and Tim's not the kind for sentimental bullshit. Hearing it first would be good.

The facebook reaction to this is the very definition of hysterical.

I don't mind the idea as a way to generate a bit more atmosphere pre-game. It's not as if the current song won't be sung after a win or by the players or anything. As long as it's not too cheesy or dated then I think most people after hearing it in round 2 will realise that they're objecting to the idea of change and not the change itself.

The facebook reaction to this is the very definition of hysterical.

I don't mind the idea as a way to generate a bit more atmosphere pre-game. It's not as if the current song won't be sung after a win or by the players or anything. As long as it's not too cheesy or dated then I think most people after hearing it in round 2 will realise that they're objecting to the idea of change and not the change itself.

Am amazed at some of the responses this has gotten. It's our full club song being sung no inxs
, even a worn out acdc one for that matter.
North supporters are a defensive mob any inkling of change and they are set off

Lets break it down....

We have between 10-20 thousand supporters attending our home games at Etihad. In a 50 thousand capacity stadium our supporters are spread across the stadium and any attempt of singing on our part is gonna sound really disjointed. Particularly if only 50% or less are only joining in.

This isn't a knock on Tim. But it doesn't matter if he comes up with something as good 'We are the Champions'(Queen) or something as bad as 'Tie me kangaroo down sport'(Rolf Harris)........it just isn't going to work.

This sorta thing has more scope for bigger supporter group clubs like Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond etc

Also, some interesting little tidbits to take out of the articles:

- "Words of the song will be writ large on the new LED lighting system at Etihad Stadium, with theming to match on the ground’s video screens."
- "The club song is not the only match day tradition to be revamped. The club will also unveil an exciting new banner for the players to run through."

Not sure how exciting a new banner can be, but I'm glad the club is doing something in enhance the match day atmosphere. I just hope supporters start showing up to EVERY game (when they can).

They could line the path to the banner with hot coals...? That would liven things up.

Lets break it down....

We have between 10-20 thousand supporters attending our home games at Etihad. In a 50 thousand capacity stadium our supporters are spread across the stadium and any attempt of singing on our part is gonna sound really disjointed. Particularly if only 50% or less are only joining in.

This isn't a knock on Tim. But it doesn't matter if he comes up with something as good 'We are the Champions'(Queen) or something as bad as 'Tie me kangaroo down sport'(Rolf Harris)........it just isn't going to work.

This sorta thing has more scope for bigger supporter group clubs like Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond etc

Booo!

I don't know how Tim is going to do it but the idea that I have in my head is the entire crowd singing in unison like the players do after a win.

The deafening roar of "Heaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarts to hearts" would be terrific for something like that.

I can't imagine what will be added regarding backing though, will make or break it.

Lets break it down....

We're well known for making more noise than we should physically be able to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This should perhaps be under the main board "What unpopular AFL opinions do you have?" but I have actually never been much of a wrap for the Fable Singers version of our song.

Other than the fact that it is only half the song I have always thought it was perhaps the most uninspiring of all the old recorded VFL team songs.

This should perhaps be under the main board "What unpopular AFL opinions do you have?" but I have actually never been much of a wrap for the Fable Singers version of our song.

Other than the fact that it is only half the song I have always thought it was perhaps the most uninspiring of all the old recorded VFL team songs.
Has there ever been a full recording of the entire song including the preamble?

While i'm at it, what are the actual origins of our song? It's something I should know but I don't.

If I can chime in here. Not only is Tim Rogers a legendary bloke who was integral to the Keep North South campaign, a man who loves North Melbourne with a passion and commitment unrivalled amongst the majority of supporters, he is also one of our nation's best Rock musicians and responsible for some of the best Rock Classics of the last 25 years. He's a humble man and a man who understands the responsibility and honour of taking on such a project.

Knowing his music as I do, as well his genius in being able to work a crowd, his ability to turn a live audience into a frenzy and most importantly his knowledge of the history of our footy club, I have complete faith that anything he produces will be brilliant. Let's everybody wait to hear the finished product and then judge. As has been noted a number of times it's only for the beginning of our our home games as the players enter the field and intended to contribute to an overall atmosphere. The traditional classic will still be rolled out every time we have a win and for all interstate games. It's not the potential seismic tear in the fabric of time and space that some people here are predicting :)

All for Tim working it, but I've been to many a north game and as Dan puts it, it'll be a tough sell. Sometimes it takes a quarter or two to get the north faithful going. I think ten plus years of giving up leads may have something to do with it. And the sub 20,000 crowds.

but if it helps get things going, why not?

Prepared to give it a shot.

Do find this competition over pre-match entertainment abit ironic, when the almighty ALF has censored every cheersquad in the league, banned flags over 30cm large, banned swearing, banned full strength beer and more or less sterlisied every aspect of the rough and tumble of the suburban game.

And now is demanding clubs engage their fans with better pre-match entertainment.

Ffs, bring back reserve footy, bring back full strength beer and remove censoring of fans, and watch the noise and fans come back in droves!! It aint rocket science.

True, fan makes a bit of noise, security coincidentally stand 2 meters away.

Though to be fair, richmonds cheer squad end can make it happen at etihad.

North are getting there, just need those north end bays at full capacity and a bit of coordination down there. Cue cheersquad chant thread v 2.3

I already do sing the song when North run out.

Will reserve judgment until I hear the finished product. Rogers is a pro, so he won't put his name to something half arsed.

Prepared to give it a shot.

Do find this competition over pre-match entertainment abit ironic, when the almighty ALF has censored every cheersquad in the league, banned flags over 30cm large, banned swearing, banned full strength beer and more or less sterlisied every aspect of the rough and tumble of the suburban game.

And now is demanding clubs engage their fans with better pre-match entertainment.

Ffs, bring back reserve footy, bring back full strength beer and remove censoring of fans, and watch the noise and fans come back in droves!! It aint rocket science.

Could Etihads surface cope with reserves footy?

I doubt it.

The idea is to do a version that encourages the fans to sing it as one - and loudly.

We originally wanted the crowd voices and nothing else - but Tim feels it needs a little something to give it a kick along.

Hopefully all the chanting will drown out anything else - just imagine all our fans yelling the song out loud (our song - not INXS or Farnham) as the players run out.

Hey NB. On this point.

How about just blast Hearts to Hearts pre-game, with the lyrics line-by-line on the big screen? My old man has been a supporter and member most of his life, but he'd have no idea the lyrics to the h2h intro.

Make it so loud that you can't ignore it, and over time it'll become a trend.

We're in a unique situation at North, being lucky enough to have a very long verse before the 'traditional' song kicks in (Join in the Chorus). I don't think we take advantage of an organic opportunity.

Back