Tom Boyd vs Jesse Hogan

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm all for waiting, but Hogan has shown something very important which Boyd hasn't in the games of senior football I've seen - attitude, aggression and a bit of campaigner.

I'm not sure who'll be the better player in the long run, but I think that if Hogan is fit he'll have the greater impact next year due to his ready made style of play.

I'm all for waiting, but Hogan has shown something very important which Boyd hasn't in the games of senior football I've seen - attitude, aggression and a bit of campaigner.

I'm not sure who'll be the better player in the long run, but I think that if Hogan is fit he'll have the greater impact next year due to his ready made style of play.

I agree to a degree I think Hogan will have more impact next season and could be close to the Rising star. As to whose a better player in time well each side has a fair argument.

I'd probably say that size is the most important attribute for a key forward. If you looked specifically at all of those feature bar size someone like Brent Harvey could be on top but you aren't gonna play him at full forward.

Great, let's not worry whether they can actually play football.

We are happy with boyd and the dees should be happy with Hogan. No real point continually pumping up their tyres when both of them have proven mere glimpses if not less at AFL level (for a variety of reasons). I am not going to speculate on whos definitively better. This debate was far better when we could purely judge them pre-drafting and the past year hasn't changed that at all. Both clubs need to work on their weaknesses so that they can have maximum impact at AFL level. All very well and good saying our kids better when really we don't have a clue. Some rate Hogan better, some rate Boyd more.

We are happier than you nyer nyer nyer

I can't figure out if this thread is just a long joke, or a sad manifestation of two struggling sides searching for a victory in any form.

Seriously Doggies fans, Hogan is a freak. Could run around on the heels of St. Nick and then crash packs and hurt folk like Jonno Brown. He's shown this against men, including AFL listed players. He gave some beat downs in the VFL when fit. His kicking is improving compared to when he was recruited, but is unlikely to reach Boyd's much more natural skill level.

There is a reason Tom Boyd was taken number 1, Dees fans. While he ain't the same beast as Jesse aerobically, he's quick, and can jump. He has a grest understanding of the drop zone, and a fricken huge frame to protect it. Very good skills make the opposition pay. Boyd has less to show against quality league sides compared to Hogan to date.

Agree that Hogan will likely be a better player over the next two seasons. Thereafter, I think that its going to be close, and club bias will continue to prevail.

If both players were in the draft and I had the choice, I'd lean to Boyd due to his extra size and ability to play five solid minutes on ball a quarter (important for team balance). If Boyd didn't have that bow, I'd favour Hogan, because he has the capacity to play deep and wrestle like Alistair Lynch, or play a true CHF.

If I had neither, I'd take either.

I can't figure out if this thread is just a long joke, or a sad manifestation of two struggling sides searching for a victory in any form.

Seriously Doggies fans, Hogan is a freak. Could run around on the heels of St. Nick and then crash packs and hurt folk like Jonno Brown. He's shown this against men, including AFL listed players. He gave some beat downs in the VFL when fit. His kicking is improving compared to when he was recruited, but is unlikely to reach Boyd's much more natural skill level.

There is a reason Tom Boyd was taken number 1, Dees fans. While he ain't the same beast as Jesse aerobically, he's quick, and can jump. He has a grest understanding of the drop zone, and a fricken huge frame to protect it. Very good skills make the opposition pay. Boyd has less to show against quality league sides compared to Hogan to date.

Agree that Hogan will likely be a better player over the next two seasons. Thereafter, I think that its going to be close, and club bias will continue to prevail.

If both players were in the draft and I had the choice, I'd lean to Boyd due to his extra size and ability to play five solid minutes on ball a quarter (important for team balance). If Boyd didn't have that bow, I'd favour Hogan, because he has the capacity to play deep and wrestle like Alistair Lynch, or play a true CHF.

If I had neither, I'd take either.

Pretty balanced analysis. But do you think the Doggies will risk the $1m man in the ruck?

Pretty balanced analysis. But do you think the Doggies will risk the $1m man in the ruck?

i think we will once he matures and has a bit more of a tank - about 3 years or so???

i reckon at the moment, minson will shoulder the ruck load mostly one-out, leaving tom to run around up forward and be large. but as will moves on i feel we'll see a tom campbell 85% / tom boyd 15% kinda spilt in ruck duties.

ideally, we'd park boyd 20m from goal all game, but the way footy is trending, you need that 2nd ruckman/fwd to aid with midfield rotations and structure.

Well now I'm going to have a slight opinion, if you can call it that...

There is a reason Hogan was taken in the mini draft and Tom Boyd wasn't

There is also a reason why Tom Boyd is earning a million a year

Those reasons I'm still not quite sure on can a poster clarify me on them?

Don't think Boyd was eligible for mini draft, could be wrong though.
Boyd's on a mill 'cause the Doggies wanted revenge and were desperate for a KPF

Okay I can't really use the Mini draft as a yard stick or the Million dollars so I guess I'm back to square one.

Correct. August birthday. Had to be pre-April from memory.

meh, just pointing out that you're trolling, this response just proves that I was right. Another smart arsed comment, not really surprising coming from you though
Another person who likes using the word trolling.... i was making a comment on a thought, no need to get upset by it :) if i had of said Sloan is going to a Melbourne base club in my opinion, would you have had the same reaction? no, its just you are precious about your club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They will both hopefully be guns but those using size to support Boyd, how many 200cm+ AA forwards have there ever been? In the history of the competition? Possibly Salmon? Maybe Daniher and Boyd will change that but extreme height is certainly not a prerequisite of a great KPF.

From the limited knowledge I have, I think Hogan may have the edge but Boyd is a far greater kick than Hogan, who has a very ugly set shot routine. It's essential that both get protection next year as they both have little hope against the Talias, Mckenzies, Hookers of the competition but could grow much quicker playing on teams 2nd defenders. As a dees fan I have never jumped at one of our early picks like others have but Hogan is the one I am very excited about, if we can't make him into a good/great forward we should just go ahead and voluntarily fold.

Another person who likes using the word trolling.... i was making a comment on a thought, no need to get upset by it :) if i had of said Sloan is going to a Melbourne base club in my opinion, would you have had the same reaction? no, its just you are precious about your club

You're a troll because of the language you use, it's pretty simple. Not sure why you're getting so uptight about being called out kid.

Don't get those big panties in a knot little girl, sound familiar?

Think you'll find that Hogan has more versatility to his game. Can spend time up the field and play the high forward role. The ability of tall forwards to get up the ground is under-estimated, and it's been a shame seeing Collingwood waste Cloke's attributes by playing him so deep in 2014 Will wait and see if Boyd can do the same.

You're a troll because of the language you use, it's pretty simple. Not sure why you're getting so uptight about being called out kid.

If you spent more time discussing the issue rather than abusing other posters and then putting them on ignore as soon as you start to feel a little threatened you'd "enjoy this site more" as you say.

For those commenting on Hogan's versatility vs Boyd being somewhat one dimensional - remember a lot of AFL players can play multiple positions at lower levels. There is no evidence of Hogan being able to play as a high forward in the AFL, where there is less space and fitter defenders on him. Whereas although he shows the most as a forward, Boyd can also go into the ruck to get himself into the game.

Think you'll find that Hogan has more versatility to his game. Can spend time up the field and play the high forward role. The ability of tall forwards to get up the ground is under-estimated, and it's been a shame seeing Collingwood waste Cloke's attributes by playing him so deep in 2014 Will wait and see if Boyd can do the same.

I've been really surprised by Hogan's running ability, both with his pace and stamina.

If you spent more time discussing the issue rather than abusing other posters and then putting them on ignore as soon as you start to feel a little threatened you'd "enjoy this site more" as you say.

For those commenting on Hogan's versatility vs Boyd being somewhat one dimensional - remember a lot of AFL players can play multiple positions at lower levels. There is no evidence of Hogan being able to play as a high forward in the AFL, where there is less space and fitter defenders on him. Whereas although he shows the most as a forward, Boyd can also go into the ruck to get himself into the game.

Are you able to post without any club bias. Reports of Hogan's VFL games were that he sometimes successfully played up the ground, and my EYES showed me he played up the ground in parts of the NAB Cup. My eyes showed me that Hogan looked comfortable in this role. I haven't seen this yet from Boyd.

Are you able to post without any club bias. Reports of Hogan's VFL games were that he sometimes successfully played up the ground, and my EYES showed me he played up the ground in parts of the NAB Cup. My eyes showed me that Hogan looked comfortable in this role. I haven't seen this yet from Boyd.

They key word there is VFL level. Liam Jones is a gun at VFL level. You are going off VFL reports and a couple of flashes in a practice match. Until Hogan actually debuts he's shown nothing at AFL level. Boyd has shown very little but at least he's been able to physically cope with the demands of being in an AFL system.

They key word there is VFL level. Liam Jones is a gun at VFL level. You are going off VFL reports and a couple of flashes in a practice match. Until Hogan actually debuts he's shown nothing at AFL level. Boyd has shown very little but at least he's been able to physically cope with the demands of being in an AFL system.

Hogan dominated VFL level as an 18 year old. He dominated juniors. It's hardly a stretch to think that he'll be a cut above most players at AFL level when he's had the measure of lesser lights his entire career. It would be far less likely that the reverse is true.

How did Tom Boyd go at NEAFL?

Wow there is not much thought in your writing is there... how is saying i think a player might go to another club as an opinion language of somebody trolling? i think you better stop sooking and worry about something else, and if anybody is uptight its you, getting upset i mentioned a player from your club....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back