Tom Boyd vs Jesse Hogan

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably the most ignorant post on bigfooty. Well done.

If you think about it without rose coloured glasses no player gets benched early in the 3rd for 2 quarters of poor performance. A coach would normally allow a player with credits in the bank some leeway to work their way back into the game, especially if that player is a KPF.
Let's be realistic Boyd got benched because he has been poor more times than he has been good.

Beveridge hung the kid out to dry in plain view for all to see.

OK BOG singular then. He's been taking the tagger each week freeing Shiel and Treloar up to dominate. Point still stands.

Agree. In this regard, Griffin has been massive for GWS. He gets the tagger most weeks, this frees up Shiel - who is having a career best year, and would be in the top 5 mids in the game this year. Treloar and Ward also in great touch. None of this would happen without Griffin, his value has been massively underrated.

It is getting unfair on Boyd to continue to compare the 2. Now we have had a look at both Hogan is so far in front there is nothing that can be put up other than wait for 10 years and see who is better.

The only reason why this thread has deteriorated is because of the same old suspects bagging Hogan earlier.

I'm sure there will also be games when Hogan is quiet and Boyd kicks a bag and then it will start up all over again. It's a shame because at one stage the thread was going well...

If you think about it without rose coloured glasses no player gets benched early in the 3rd for 2 quarters of poor performance. A coach would normally allow a player with credits in the bank some leeway to work their way back into the game, especially if that player is a KPF.
Let's be realistic Boyd got benched because he has been poor more times than he has been good.

Beveridge hung the kid out to dry in plain view for all to see.
I suggest you watch more of the games before commenting then. Your overly simplistic and, with due respect, silly comments, do you no favours. He has been sensational this year. Much better than anyone expected and the vast majority of our scores come directly from his involvement.

Last edited:
I think the general consensus is that Hogan has been magnificent for Melbourne and has clearly performed better than Boyd thus far. That is without question. But, as many have highlighted, the comparison is nonsensical. They are two different players, with different skill sets and attributes. For those who wish to comment without having watched the games, Boyd has been terrific this year. Stats can be misleading, just watch the games, have a look how we go into attack, see who he's matched up on, and then pass judgement.

Those who say "he's averaging 1.5 goals, 4 touches and 2 marks. He's hopeless"' in all honesty, don't belong on the site nor should their opinions be given any weight.

Funny thing is hogan will be a great player in a side playing for priority picks , Boyd on the other hand Will be a superstar winning premierships

Funny thing is hogan will be a great player in a side playing for priority picks , Boyd on the other hand Will be a superstar winning premierships
There's no way we're going to swap Boyd for Hogan :rolleyes:

Boyd vs. Cameron McCarthy would be the best comparison IMO, considering they were both selected in the same draft, are playing the same role for their sides, and that McCarthy is essentially taking the place in the GWS pecking order that Boyd would have, had he still been there (with Jon Patton's injury).
But it's no fun comparing toys with the spoiled rich kid...

I suggest you watch more of the games before commenting then. Your overly simplistic and, with due respect, silly comments, do you no favours. He has been sensational this year. Much better than anyone expected and the vast majority of our scores come directly from his involvement.

You do yourself no favours using phrases like "vast majority of our scores come directly from his involvement".
He hasn't been sensational. There is no comparison to Hogan (at this point) because Hogan is so far ahead of him he would need a telescope to see him. He is not even the best forward in your team.
Obviously not "much better than anyone expected" I would say many think quite the opposite.

Instead of just saying he is just a kid, will take time bla bla bla you want to make it out like he has set the house on fire when I would guess at least half of footy fans would beg to differ.

You do yourself no favours using phrases like "vast majority of our scores come directly from his involvement".
He hasn't been sensational. There is no comparison to Hogan (at this point) because Hogan is so far ahead of him he would need a telescope to see him. He is not even the best forward in your team.
Obviously not "much better than anyone expected" I would say many think quite the opposite.

Instead of just saying he is just a kid, will take time bla bla bla you want to make it out like he has set the house on fire when I would guess at least half of footy fans would beg to differ.
Ok seeing as though you seem hell bent on having an uninformed opinion, I'll answer your points

1. "The vast majority of our scores, have come from his involvement" is not an opinion. Again, perhaps go back and watch more of the games. I wouldn't dare have an opinion on Sydney as although I watch all their games, I simply don't watch them forensically enough to have an opinion worth consideration.

2. I've already agreed that Hogan has been better than Boyd thus far

3. He hasn't kicked the most goals but he's the most important forward. Again, you'd need to have more knowledge to form that opinion though.

4. He is better than anyone expected, except those who are foolish.

5. What the general footy population think is frankly irrelevant. Again, I wouldn't comment on other clubs because I concede my opinion is nowhere near as informed as those who support the club and watch it intimately, which renders it irrelevant.

You may not agree with me, but again, you're in no position to comment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK I look forward to reading your argument about how Heath Grundy is Sydney's best defender

I guess I can't blame you for choosing to ignore that Griffen has been a good thing for GWS either.
I don't comment on other clubs. My opinion is irrelevant. Perhaps you might want to follow my lead?

It is getting unfair on Boyd to continue to compare the 2. Now we have had a look at both Hogan is so far in front there is nothing that can be put up other than wait for 10 years and see who is better.
Fairly passive aggressive clip over the ears there, but correct at the same time.
Dees and Doggies fans can have a measuring competition for the next 10 years.
But it's all a waste of time until they end their careers.

I don't comment on other clubs. My opinion is irrelevant. Perhaps you might want to follow my lead?
So you in a smart-arse fashion suggest I'm wrong in saying Boyd doesn't get the best defender each week and that Griffen hasn't been good for GWS, then don't want to back your opinion up? OK then.

So you in a smart-arse fashion suggest I'm wrong in saying Boyd doesn't get the best defender each week and that Griffen hasn't been good for GWS, then don't want to back your opinion up? OK then.
Name a game, other than last weekend when he hasn't got the best defender? And up until recently, I believe the popular opinion was that Griffen hadn't been good, but again, I don't comment on other clubs. I'll leave that to the GWS supporters to comment on that.

Name a game, other than last weekend when he hasn't got the best defender? And up until recently, I believe the popular opinion was that Griffen hadn't been good, but again, I don't comment on other clubs. I'll leave that to the GWS supporters to comment on that.
Like I said, Heath Grundy Round 5 (Delaney is also not StKilda's best defender, but I suppose Fisher and Dempster are a whole 2 cm shorter so I'll let that one slide). Over to you.

(Also, if you don't comment on other clubs, how can you comment that someone's comment on another club is wrong, which is in effect commenting on that club).

Ok seeing as though you seem hell bent on having an uninformed opinion, I'll answer your points

1. "The vast majority of our scores, have come from his involvement" is not an opinion. Again, perhaps go back and watch more of the games. I wouldn't dare have an opinion on Sydney as although I watch all their games, I simply don't watch them forensically enough to have an opinion worth consideration.

2. I've already agreed that Hogan has been better than Boyd thus far

3. He hasn't kicked the most goals but he's the most important forward. Again, you'd need to have more knowledge to form that opinion though.

4. He is better than anyone expected, except those who are foolish.

5. What the general footy population think is frankly irrelevant. Again, I wouldn't comment on other clubs because I concede my opinion is nowhere near as informed as those who support the club and watch it intimately, which renders it irrelevant.

You may not agree with me, but again, you're in no position to comment.

So what you are really saying is your opinion is the only thing that matters because you are a Dogs fan?
I have been a Dogs member for more than 10 years.
It is a discussion forum.

We'd say his output was down early doors.
He was getting the tag however which freed up Shiel/Treloar
He had his best game on Saturday.

Like I said, Heath Grundy Round 5 (Delaney is also not StKilda's best defender, but I suppose Fisher and Dempster are a whole 2 cm shorter so I'll let that one slide). Over to you.

(Also, if you don't comment on other clubs, how can you comment that someone's comment on another club is wrong, which is in effect commenting on that club).
I'm happy to debate other's opinions on my club, but I would never offer an opinion on other club's players because inevitably it will be wrong, as I don't watch the games as a supporter. For example, I can't support the idea that Toumpas was an enormous bust, as is popular opinion, because he might do things that Melbourne supporters love. He seemed to play well on the weekend though, even though I was understandably more concerned with my club than happy for Melbourne.

With regards Boyd, yes he played on Grundy, who would you suggest is their number 1 defender?

So what you are really saying is your opinion is the only thing that matters because you are a Dogs fan?
I have been a Dogs member for more than 10 years.
It is a discussion forum.
I'm saying that the opinions of those who watch the games closest are the most important. If you have been a Dogs member, firstly I commend you, but you're in the vast minority if you think he's been disappointing overall.

I'm happy to debate other's opinions on my club, but I would never offer an opinion on other club's players because inevitably it will be wrong, as I don't watch the games as a supporter. For example, I can't support the idea that Toumpas was an enormous bust, as is popular opinion, because he might do things that Melbourne supporters love. He seemed to play well on the weekend though, even though I was understandably more concerned with my club than happy for Melbourne.

With regards Boyd, yes he played on Grundy, who would you suggest is their number 1 defender?

Toumpas is a bust all things considered - he has time to turn it around though.

I wont pretend that I didn't want Stringer and Wines before him, especially Stringer.

Ted Richards by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back