Tom Boyd vs Jesse Hogan

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm happy to debate other's opinions on my club, but I would never offer an opinion on other club's players because inevitably it will be wrong, as I don't watch the games as a supporter. For example, I can't support the idea that Toumpas was an enormous bust, as is popular opinion, because he might do things that Melbourne supporters love. He seemed to play well on the weekend though, even though I was understandably more concerned with my club than happy for Melbourne.

With regards Boyd, yes he played on Grundy, who would you suggest is their number 1 defender?

Sydney do have an All Australian KPD in Ted Richards, who is also taller than Grundy, so you can't use that argument either.
I doubt any Sydney supporter would say Grundy's their best defender.

Ok, that's fine. How about we let them decide?

Alrighty then. But maybe you should follow your own supposed philosophy and not have implied that he gets the best defender each week, when that involves an opinion on other clubs' players. Bye for now. :)

I'm saying that the opinions of those who watch the games closest are the most important. If you have been a Dogs member, firstly I commend you, but you're in the vast minority if you think he's been disappointing overall.
Pan, don't even bother mate.
This has never been the thread for reasonable or intelligent conversation.

Toys are hard to come by, I'm extremely happy with the one we got.
Agreed with this. Just like we took a punt on Roosy, the Dogs have on Boyd. We've been in the Premiership wilderness for over 50 years now, you simply have to take risks and do something different.

Sydney do have an All Australian KPD in Ted Richards, who is also taller than Grundy, so you can't use that argument either.
I doubt any Sydney supporter would say Grundy's their best defender.

Grundy takes the big lumbering types. Ted takes the lead-ups.

Individually they are not superstars but together (along with the others that play in our back 6) they are a superstar defensive unit and more often than not get the job done.

I watched the Dogs vs Dees on the weekend.. Boyd is a fair way behind Hogan ATM.

Dees should be putting a Buddy/Boyd style contract together for him.

If they don't I'm sure others will... Just a matter of time.

Ted Richards is made to look good by others around him like that hack Lrt that's how he got a game

I watched the Dogs vs Dees on the weekend.. Boyd is a fair way behind Hogan ATM.

Dees should be putting a Buddy/Boyd style contract together for him.

If they don't I'm sure others will... Just a matter of time.

Agreed. Boyd has done tremendous things for our structure this year, but is essentially still a 2nd year KPF who doesn't yet have the tank to get his large frame around the ground for 100% of each match. He's played well in some matches and poorly in a few. Well beaten on the weekend.

The interesting question for Dees fans is: Would Hogan have performed in a similar manner in his first/second year - if he could have played ? Dogs fans were (largely speaking) not expecting Boyd to play every game for this very reason, he doesn't have the fitness base to keep going all year. Would Hogan have been in the same category. I remember being impressed with his early body work and positioning, but cannot recall his early fitness base.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. Boyd has done tremendous things for our structure this year, but is essentially still a 2nd year KPF who doesn't yet have the tank to get his large frame around the ground for 100% of each match. He's played well in some matches and poorly in a few. Well beaten on the weekend.

The interesting question for Dees fans is: Would Hogan have performed in a similar manner in his first/second year - if he could have played ? Dogs fans were (largely speaking) not expecting Boyd to play every game for this very reason, he doesn't have the fitness base to keep going all year. Would Hogan have been in the same category. I remember being impressed with his early body work and positioning, but cannot recall his early fitness base.
This is Hogan's second year, but I'm inclined to think that he would have been similar last year. Time off gave him a chance to streamline and learn the right movements though I guess.

I would say he would have had a similar impact last year. Although he did have a year to further himself with game style etc as stated above. He as an underager played very well in the VFL in 2013. In his NAB cup performances in 2013-14 he also looked strong and fit. Can't say he would have had the same impact last year but would have been close.
From what I understand he has always been an extremely hard worker on and off the field which is something that is hard to instill in players that do not possess it.

The year he dominated in the VFL when too young to play he was AFL ready. Born footy brain and has always had great fitness. Could have had a great debut season last year if not for the injury.

hogan was out for a year with a dodgy back though wasnt he?

Yes. Boyd has played more senior games than Hogan, who only debuted this year. Hogan spent the previous year at Casey, having been drafted in the 17 year olds mini-draft thing (which was stupid), then spent last year on the sidelines, protecting a back complaint.

They are from the same draft year though.

That said, I don't like this thread. Without being bothered to check, I hope it wasn't a Dees or Dogs supporter who started it.

Hogan is obviously a rare KPP who has the ability to impact from a young age. I watch Boyd and see more of a Tom Hawkins type - who will need to develop his game and body, and will be able to start monstering opponents when he gets to around 25-26 years old.

I like the doggies, so I'd much rather be having this s**t fight over say, Hogan and Daniher.. :D

The worry on the weekend for Boyd.. He was match up on Jack Fizpatrick..

So it's not like he getting there first or even second best defender..

He had one hand pass and one F/A.. Till 3Q time..

Is he carrying something ? An injury ? Or is his tank just not up to AFL standard yet?

Is he carrying something ? An injury ? Or is his tank just not up to AFL standard yet?
He's Raw and not used to playing outside the 50.

Haven't heard anything about any injuries. His tank isn't at AFL standard but I think the biggest thing is that he is just a young and inexperienced player who doesn't yet have the ability to push through and make an impact when things aren't working out on the day. He was very impressive a few weeks ago on Brian Lake under even tougher circumstances, but sometimes things go well, sometimes it doesn't. Hogan has the advantage at the moment where he has those extra strings to his bow where he can go and create his own luck.

Ted Richards is made to look good by others around him like that hack Lrt that's how he got a game
Going off topic but LRT is not a hack. No superstar by any means but played 2 very good grand finals (think he got norm smith votes in both) and there is no hiding hacks on the biggest stage. Show a little respect.

Haven't heard anything about any injuries. His tank isn't at AFL standard but I think the biggest thing is that he is just a young and inexperienced player who doesn't yet have the ability to push through and make an impact when things aren't working out on the day. He was very impressive a few weeks ago on Brian Lake under even tougher circumstances, but sometimes things go well, sometimes it doesn't. Hogan has the advantage at the moment where he has those extra strings to his bow where he can go and create his own luck.

In terms of having a presents on the ground Hogan is miles in front. Everyone knows his on the ground at all times.
Boyd has periods in games where you wonder if the #17 is even out there. Very much like Paddy Mac at this stage.
Fitzpatrick had a day out and really Boyd should be handle that match up.

Another thing I've found with Giants they don't rush there kids.. Had JC and Patton been fit all year
Boyd would not have played much senior footy Last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back