Top 15 players 07 - 09 Drafts

Remove this Banner Ad

MAAAATTDAAAAMON

Club Legend
Jun 6, 2010
NSW
AFL Club
Essendon
From the 2007 - 2009 drafts, who will become the best 15 players, in order. I have listed players who have done fairly well, from national, pre-seasons and rookie drafts. I have left out the recent draft as we haven't seen them yet. Very very hard. The hardest one for me was Watts, I find him impossible to judgle, so I left him out, not saying he is not in the 15, I just haven't seen enough yet.

My attempt:
1. S. Hill
2. M Kreuzer
3. M. Hurley
4. D. Martin
5 S. Sidebottom
6. C. Rioli
7. T. Cotchin
8. N. Natanui
9. T. Pears
10. P. Dangerfield
11. D. Rich
12. J. Ziebell
13. H. Taylor
14. T. Scully
15. J. Trengove (Dees)
Apologies: Morabito, Fyfe, Bastinac, Barlow, Grant, Hannebery.

2009 Draft
Scully
Trengove (Dees)
Martin
Morabito
Cunnington
Rohan
Sheppard
Butcher
Moore
Melksham
Gysberts
Lucas
Talia
Jetta
Bastinac
Fyfe
Stratton
Colyer
M.Barlow

2008 Draft
Watts
Natanui
Hill
Hartlett
Hurley
Yarran
Rich
Vickery
Ziebell
Davis
Sidebottom
Johnstone
Cordy
Shoenmakers
Ballantyne
Trengove (Port)
Shuey
Swift
Zaharakis
Suban
Beams
Hannebery
J. Garlett

2007 Draft
Kreuzer
Cotchin
Masten
Morton
Grant
Myers
Palmer
Henderson
McEvoy
Dangerfield
Vespremi
Rioli
Ebert
Grimes
H.Taylor
C.Ward
Pears
Hooker

Updated: 14th May 2011

Thought I would add this to the OP. This is the overall results to the top 15s added to date. Won't add up any more, but will be interesting to see which ones turn out better or worse than most people expected. 15 votes given to # 1s through to 1 votes given to # 15s.

1. C. Rioli: 255
2. S. Hill: 241
3. M. Hurley: 203
4. D. Martin 188
5. M. Kreuzer: 178
6. T. Scully 158
7. J. Trengove: 140
8. S. Sidebottom 133
9. T. Cotchin: 122
10. H. Taylor: 112
11. M. Barlow: 103
12. N. Natanui: 94
12. P. Dangerfield: 94
14. D. Rich: 79
15. D. Hannebery: 71

J. Grimes: 70
J. Watts: 48
T. Pears: 39
L. Jurrah: 36
A. Morabito: 26
S. Mumford 25
D. Beams: 24
N. Fyfe: 22
T. Walker: 22
H. Hartlett: 17
J. Ziebell: 17
C. Ward: 17
P. Davis: 14
J. Melksham: 8
T. Rockliff: 6
C.Yarran 6
L. Shuey: 4

There's no way Barlow wouldn't be in the top 10 IMHO. I'm sure he'd be smashing all of those guys for BL votes, and IMHO that's a very fair representation of the (huge) impact he had.

How many people think Cotchin will get that good; let alone surpass him??

There's no way Barlow wouldn't be in the top 10 IMHO. I'm sure he'd be smashing all of those guys for BL votes, and IMHO that's a very fair representation of the (huge) impact he had.

How many people think Cotchin will get that good; let alone surpass him??

Those 13 games he played were better than anything any of the others have put up, including Hill and Rioli
Who else has turned out 28 possessions a game, averaged 5 tackles and 1.2 goals, with a peak of 4.
Bloke is a freak.
http://finalsiren.com/PlayerCompare...yers=1988,1975,1970,1902,1809,1977,1819,1895,

Greg Broughton comes closest

Those 13 games he played were better than anything any of the others have put up, including Hill and Rioli
Who else has turned out 28 possessions a game, averaged 5 tackles and 1.2 goals, with a peak of 4.
Bloke is a freak.
http://finalsiren.com/PlayerCompare...yers=1988,1975,1970,1902,1809,1977,1819,1895,

Greg Broughton comes closest

So on that rational the 17 games that Liam Anthony has played, producing average stats of 25 disposals, 4 tackles and 1 goal, with a high of 3, and 5 marks per game would put him in the top 10 also?

L Anthony games: 17
Goals: 6

Career goals per game =
6 / 17
= 1.

You heard it here first.
Stop fudging numbers.
Not a fudge Slats, so calm down. Must have misread or Footywire is bogus. Sorry bout that.

Still decent numbers alround though, so the point still stands..

Not sure how Martin got in ahead of Cotchin, Dangerfield, Sidebottom Rioli, etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Martin's first year consisted of averaging 20 disp a game as an inside mid, lead the club for clearances in 2010 with 101 and was ranked 9th in the comp for clearances up to r10. Finished 4th in our B&F, polled 6 Brownlow votes and was favourite for the Rising star.

I'd say that's a pretty good first year.

If I had the first 15 selections in the 3 yr draft it would go like this based on how I project the player to impact the league by end 2012.

1) Kreuzer
2) Hill
3) Cotchin
4) Naitanui
5) Morabito
6) Hurley
7) Martin
8) Barlow
9) Rioli
10) Hartlett
11) Scully
12) Watts
13) Shuey
14) Taylor
15) Dangerfield

For interests sake this is my next 10

16) Sidebottom
17) Hannebery
18) Ziebell
19) Rich
20) Trengrove
21) Pears
22) Sheppard
23) Lucas
24) Fyfe
25) Bastinac

Whilst not a Freo supporter - as far as I can tell they will have 3 of the most influential 8 younger players in the league.

As a footnote - I reckon Swallow will usurp all

Trent Cotchin is so so overrated.

Agree, the less he plays the more legendary he becomes.

It's amazing how Sidebottom still isn't rated at all or highly enough by "neutrals".

Seriously, he is the best performed player from his draft (along with Hill) and is still a teenager. His finals matches have been all class and his reputation should be enhanced.

Beams is also the other best performed player from 2008 to round out the trio (Sidebottom + Hill). He finished 6th in Collingwoods BnF in a premiership year.

It seems because they are Collingwood players, the neutral BF posters want to overlook them.

Rioli is also the best from his talent pool by a fair way. Amazing how players such Martin, Hurley and Kreuzer are ranked ahead of him.

Pretty handy group of players there! Whilst i have an attempt at my order, I'd throw it out there that from a Melbourne perspective i'd have Jurrah and Grimes ahead of Jack Trengove.

It's a tough thing to call considering so many of these guys are at VERY different stages of development. Not just due to the years they were drafted but considering guys like Watts, Naitanui, Kreuzer, Hurley, Henderson, Pears etc. are going to need a few more years until they show what they're really made of while guys like Sidebottom, Rich, Martin, Rioli, Palmer etc. are ready-to-go type players who had the physical attributes necessary to make a seamless transition into AFL.
Then of course there's the Barlow/Anthony/Taylor types who had state level experience before being drafted and were always going to have a better first year than most of the others.

So considering all of that, if I could draft ANY player from the last 4 years on what I think they'll become I'd go:

1. Hill
2. Kreuzer (although with his ACL recovery might never get there)
3. Rioli
4. Hurley
5. Watts
6. Naitanui
7. Sidebottom
8. Scully
9. Hannebury
10. Martin
11. Rich
12. H. Taylor
13. Barlow
14. Trengove
15. Pears

I don't have any problem with Martin's ranking. Sure, we're basing it on one year, but hell, he was carrying Richmond's midfield in his first season. In his first game when they went up against Hawthorn in the NAB Cup he more than held his own against guys like Hodge and Mitchell (admittedly they may have been cruising a little since it was NAB Cup).

He combines incredible ball winning ability (which will only improve as he gets even bigger and stronger) with utterly sublime kicking off both feet. He'll be a star. The only young midfielder I would even consider taking ahead of him is Hill. I have a feeling Hill will have a slightly better highlight reel, and will win more games with an incredible quarter or something, while Martin will just contribute to making Richmond a 10% better side in every game he plays. He might not get the same plaudits, but perhaps he'll provide more value overall?

Rioli is also the best from his talent pool by a fair way. Amazing how players such Martin, Hurley and Kreuzer are ranked ahead of him.

I agree with the rest of your post - and I agree that Rioli is a fantastic player ... but I think you're underestimating Kreuzer.

He's a ruckman who plays as a midfielder and can go forward and play as a KPP - I think he's showed plenty at such a young age (when it is known that KPP/Ruckmen take much longer to come on).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back