Tour De France 2014 Stage 8: Tomblaine - Gererdmer La Mauselaine

Remove this Banner Ad

Last night saw some arguably poor tactical work by Sagan and by Team BMC. Tejay Van Garderen went down about 16km from the finish. A couple of team mates went back to help him, but Daniel Oss pushed the pace at the from of the peleton, trying to help Greg Van Avermaet gain stage honours. You'd think that in a situation like that, Oss might've dropped back to help Tejay, and certainly wouldn't push the pace, making it hard for Tejay to rejoin. Mind boggling. Now to Sagan. He and Van Avermaet had a very small gap over the peleton at the top of the final climb. They decided to push on. Sagan was never going to get enough time to win the yellow jersey, so he (and Van Avermaet for that matter) would've been much better served by conserving the energy in the peleton and sprinting for the stage win. In the end, Sagan finished second in a photo finish, with Matteo Trentin winning.

Current Jersey Leaders
Yellow:
Vincenzo Nibali (AST)
White: Peter Sagan (CAN) worn by Michal Kwiatkowski (OPQ)
Green: Peter Sagan (CAN)
Polkadot: Cyril Lemoine (COF)
Team: Astana

Stage-8-Map.jpg

PROFIL.png

• Km 142.0 - Col de la Croix des Moinats (891 m)7.6 kilometre-long climb at 6% - category 2
  • Km 150.0 - Col de Grosse Pierre (901 m)3 kilometre-long climb at 7.5% - category 2
  • Km 161.0 - Côte de La Mauselaine1.8 kilometre-long climb at 10.3% - category 3

PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.png

PROFILCOLSCOTES_2.png

PROFILCOLSCOTES_3.png

PROFILKMS.png

General Classification after Stage 7
ITA 1 NIBALI, Vincenzo (ASTANA) 29:57:04
DEN 2 FUGLSANG, Jakob (ASTANA) + 2
SVK 3 SAGAN, Peter (CANNONDALE) + 44
POL 4 KWIATKOWSKI, Michal (OMEGA PHARMA - QUICK-STEP) + 50
BEL 5 VAN DEN BROECK, Jurgen (LOTTO BELISOL) + 1:45
FRA 6 GALLOPIN, Tony (LOTTO BELISOL)
AUS 7 PORTE, Richie (SKY) + 1:54
USA 8 TALANSKY, Andrew (GARMIN SHARP) + 2:05
ESP 9 VALVERDE BELMONTE, Alejandro (MOVISTAR) + 2:11
FRA 10 BARDET, Romain (AG2R LA MONDIALE)

Tonight sees the first real "mountain" stage. While we don't take in any really big mountains, we have three tough climbs all in the last 25km of the stage. This is definitely a stage where the big GC guys will just be marking each other, testing each other out to see how well they are riding. I wouldn't expect a big move on this stage. Contador may have a crack on the final climb to try and get 15sec or so back from Nibali, but this is a stage where someone who is a few minutes back on the GC but is a good climber could have a crack. My tip is Pierre Rolland.

Watch out for:
Blel Kadri, Cyril Lemoine and maybe even Tiago Machado to make the breakaway and battle it out for KOTM points.

Conversation regarding past cases of PED use or innuendo surrounding current riders will not be tolerated. This thread is specifically about Stage 8 of the 2014 Tour de France, so let's keep it that way.

Don't feel the short steep climbs will suit Rolland, If the break doesn't get up this will be a battle between Valverde, Kwiatkowski, Contador with Nibali just trailing. Hoping Purito has been hiding some form at the back there, but I doubt it.

Don't feel the short steep climbs will suit Rolland, If the break doesn't get up this will be a battle between Valverde, Kwiatkowski, Contador with Nibali just trailing. Hoping Purito has been hiding some form at the back there, but I doubt it.
I think Rolland will attack early and none of the GC riders will mark him. Once he's away, he is hard to catch.

Having said that, my predicting skills are horrible, so I'm likely to be wrong :p

Today's breakaway is very unusual - 3 riders (not unusual), none of which are from the wildcard entry teams!
What's even more unusual is I got a prediction right. Kadri made the break.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know why there's such a big deal being made about having 2 Kings from USA riding. We have 2 Schlecks from Luxembourg riding on the same team, and 2 Feillus from France riding on the same team, yet they manage to make mistakes and make a fuss over the two guys with the same name riding on different teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back