Mega Thread Trade and List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is not going to be a popular one. But in my opinion, Cooney is done for, he may have the odd good game here and there, and his damaging plays, but otherwise overall he doesn't offer to much more to what our youngsters do.

Given this year, and possible next are key position drafts. I would throw the likes of Cooney, Grant around the trade table, see who bites and offers what. If we can upgrade a pick or two a few spots, or get an extra one inside the top three rounds, we should take it and load up on talent and develop them.

I know this is not going to be a popular one. But in my opinion, Cooney is done for, he may have the odd good game here and there, and his damaging plays, but otherwise overall he doesn't offer to much more to what our youngsters do.

Given this year, and possible next are key position drafts. I would throw the likes of Cooney, Grant around the trade table, see who bites and offers what. If we can upgrade a pick or two a few spots, or get an extra one inside the top three rounds, we should take it and load up on talent and develop them.
Yeah a bit worries about Coons. My idea was to pretty much play him as an impact sub for the next 2 years where in theory he would be perfect for and it would help his knee, but last week kinda ****ed that up! Still think it's worth another shot though, he obviously wasn't up to the pace yet. Although if someone's interested at the end of the year I'd probably look at it, doubt anyone will be though.

I don't disagree on Cooney, but would like to see Grant a few more times at AFL level before I let him go. I'm still of the opinion that we should have let Boyd move on at the end of the year as well.

My changes would be (ignoring actual events like offering Boyd another contract):

Delist: Gia, Williams, Howard, Goodes, Boyd, Pearce (re-rookie), Greenwood - Higgins (FA), Cooney (trade).

Upgrade: Redpath, Austin, Jong - one year, with optional 2nd year deals only.

Would give us 3 new rookie spots, 5 on the main list. They may still move along these lines, with Boyd being kept giving us 4 main draft picks and the 3 upgrades.

According to Wayne Carey on triple m we have offered John Patton 5 years 5 mil and he knocked it back. My question is that he hasn't been out of contract so how could we have made him this offer (legally)? FA at the end of next season correct?
We were talking about this today, but that's ridiculous. I doubt that we'd offer him that much, he's not even close to being worth it at this point in time. It's true you have to pay overs to lure good players, but that's way too over the top.

We were talking about this today, but that's ridiculous. I doubt that we'd offer him that much, he's not even close to being worth it at this point in time. It's true you have to pay overs to lure good players, but that's way too over the top.
Some people are saying that the deal wasn't knocked back, and that it's merely on the table.

I have trouble believing even that. Goes against everything the club stands for and get the feeling it'd put more than a few noses out of joint.

Some people are saying that the deal wasn't knocked back, and that it's merely on the table.

I have trouble believing even that. Goes against everything the club stands for and get the feeling it'd put more than a few noses out of joint.

Would have to be heavily front loaded, as we are under the cap and should cut a few players and older ones to, give us room under the cap. Otherwise there is no way we can afford that surely, particularly when our youngsters come to their next contracts

To be paid like Buddy Franklin, you'd have to be worth that much. Soon as I heard the value I called b**s**t. He is no where in the league of Ablett or Franklin to be worth that much. Would be poor form on our behalf and a massive risk

Would have to be heavily front loaded, as we are under the cap and should cut a few players and older ones to, give us room under the cap. Otherwise there is no way we can afford that surely, particularly when our youngsters come to their next contracts
Yeah, it'd be front loaded to the max given that we'll be paying 100% of the cap from next year, we get a boost from the incoming equalisation rules (or so I've heard, don't quote me on it) and I'd expect a few young players to want a boost in a couple of years' time, and rightfully so.

But honestly, I just don't buy it. I think we'd be mad not to go down the Patton path and see what we'd have to do both to lure him and satisfy GWS, but $5m over 5 years sounds like total crap on Carey's part.

Who the * would turn down 5mil over 5 years?

I still like Griffiths very much but am yet to see much at all from O'Rourke that changes my mind on him. Feel free to disagree, would be interested to hear others' thoughts.

yeah not too sure I am a fan of making a 5million dollar offer to a 3rd year player on promise onlu
I wouldn't be concerned, I'm quite positive it's not true. I don't really know where Carey pulled it from to be honest.

How was Golds against Richmond? Still think a player like him is better than trading away a top pick.

Unless we are getting Boyd and co of course.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's no ******* way we offered Patton a mil a season over 5 years not a chance.

And there'd be no way he would turn that down to stay at GWS :eek:

Problem with cooney is that he's no longer physically able to win contests. Can't stick tackles, can't break tackles and can't win contested footy any more. Slippery slope from here.

My frustration is with McCartney picking him the last 2 weeks and then pointing to his lack of conditioning for his poor form. Ummmmm, how about playing him in the vfl then until he gets his legs back???

Problem with cooney is that he's no longer physically able to win contests. Can't stick tackles, can't break tackles and can't win contested footy any more. Slippery slope from here.

My frustration is with McCartney picking him the last 2 weeks and then pointing to his lack of conditioning for his poor form. Ummmmm, how about playing him in the vfl then until he gets his legs back???

Personally I feel that Cooney is cooked and his knee is in a far worse state than what we're being told. Just a gut feeling based on my own personal experience with the joint. I agree though, he should be playing out the year in the 2's and given his condition cant justify a spot on the 22.

As for Higgins, I'd personally let him go next year and be talking to clubs about a possible deal (yes I know you dont need to have one for a FA to walk), just something to lessen the likely hood that we'll get screwed again

There's no ******* way we offered Patton a mil a season over 5 years not a chance.

agree.

I call BS

i had cooney as trade bait at the start of the year. he's not worth much now though.

...the other guy i'm open to trading (and always have been) is grant. i really like jarrad, he copped it hard for a long time from fans - BUT the flash in the pan at the end of 2013 was a long time ago. when we were all drafting our dream 2013 forward line, i didn't have him in it due to lack of consistent output. at his best, he's a freak and a tough, tough cover for any defence. he's been cruelled by not playing off a big bodied forward. but it's going nowhere for jarrad at VUWO. i'd trade him and a second rounder for a late first-rounder without thinking. i'd probably trade him for john butcher.

Apparently Simon Garlick shot down that rumour and said it wasn't true. He is under contract anyway so if we are ever going to offer him a deal - it will be at the end of 2015.

If it's true that Patton turned that down then we should look elsewhere. Bigger offer then I would have made.

The key word being 'IF'.

If my aunty had you know whats she'd be my uncle - that sort of thing.

We really need to be going for an under the radar type KPF.

Yeah a bit worries about Coons. My idea was to pretty much play him as an impact sub for the next 2 years where in theory he would be perfect for and it would help his knee, but last week kinda ****** that up! Still think it's worth another shot though, he obviously wasn't up to the pace yet. Although if someone's interested at the end of the year I'd probably look at it, doubt anyone will be though.
I'd play him out of the forward pocket. Smart around the ball and a good set shot - let him kick goals.

I don't disagree on Cooney, but would like to see Grant a few more times at AFL level before I let him go. I'm still of the opinion that we should have let Boyd move on at the end of the year as well.

My changes would be (ignoring actual events like offering Boyd another contract):

Delist: Gia, Williams, Howard, Goodes, Boyd, Pearce (re-rookie), Greenwood - Higgins (FA), Cooney (trade).

Upgrade: Redpath, Austin, Jong - one year, with optional 2nd year deals only.

Would give us 3 new rookie spots, 5 on the main list. They may still move along these lines, with Boyd being kept giving us 4 main draft picks and the 3 upgrades.
Definitely keep Grant - it would be insane to let him go. Redpath can go after what I saw of Tom C yesterday - neither are the answer but Tom is in front of Jack.

Definitely keep Grant - it would be insane to let him go. Redpath can go after what I saw of Tom C yesterday - neither are the answer but Tom is in front of Jack.

The major issue I have with letting Redpath go is the factor we have 2 (count them - 1, 2) KPF's. Jones and Redpath.

If Jones were to get injured, the Campbell/Cordy will be playing a lot next year. And that could be an issue if Will were to get injured/suspended. Redpath at least offers a big bodied alternative. He's a decent mark, good kick. Not a world beater, but has improved consistently over the past 2 years, no reason he can't improve more next year.

So if we let Redpath go, we HAVE to go for a KPF in the draft, who will be several years behind Redpath in physical development and match hardening - and with the picks we have the best talent will likely already be taken.... And that also prevents us from fixing other areas of need as well. So there is risk involved in letting Jack go....

POSSIBLE father-son selections Alec Waterman and Jayden Foster are among the 91 draft hopefuls invited to test at state NAB AFL Draft Combines later this year

The Western Bulldogs have kept an eye on Foster's progress, given he can join under the father-son rule as his dad Peter played 163 games for Footscray between 1983-93.

Foster, a developing tall forward, has kicked 29 goals in 11 games for the Calder Cannons in the TAC Cup side after being eligible for last year's draft.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-04/state-combines-named

Also Lazarus has risen

while Norwood standout and ex-Western Bulldog Matt Panos is among the squad of 15 South Australian players

:D

BRING BACK PANOS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regarding Cooney, I love the guy and would hate to see him leave but i think it's best that we move him on. Im sure we can pick up a 2nd rounder for him. Let him go to a finals bound side and give him a chance at a flag like Lake. Just don't think his got more then a couple years left and even then it won't be even at 50% of his best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back