List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ralphsmiths kicking is fine. His kicking efficiency (72.3%) is slightly better than Picketts (71.5) and slightly less than Kmacs (73.2) Mccluggage who is widely regarded as the best winger in the comp goes at 57.6%. Ed Langdon is probably 2nd best goes at 64.1%. AA winger callum Mills 67.8. Josh Daicos 60.6. Lachie Whitfield 69.9.

He just needs to improve his decision making and composure which will come with time.

I know I’ll get shut down for this but I think it’s possible that Kingsley going to GWS could change the Taranto situation.
Taranto has always said he likes living in Sydney over Melbourne and these are the types GWS need. It’s known that we chase Tom Green every year and Adam Kingsley would know this, he would also know if the club thinks he will come one day.
Worst case scenario would be GWS losing Taranto this year as Green has taken his inside mid spot and then Green leaves next year. Could it be possible Kingsley believes Green will go next year and decides to trade Tom Green and keep Taranto? They would get better compo for Tom Green especially as he is contracted and younger so now might be the time to maximise what they get in return. Wouldn’t be surprised if GWS were discussing this possibility.

You shouldn’t be shut down; I think it’s a very valid point, and worth a discussion.

The first thing I will say re: Tom Green, I think the link is primarily driven by the fans and not the club nor Tom. Not to say there hasn’t been feelers put out, but I don’t think it’s as inevitable or pre-ordained as fans think.

In terms of TT, Kingsley may well talk him into staying. To Taranto’s credit, he apparently has always given GWS the opportunity to discuss once a new coach was hired.

However, I suspect GWS are fighting an uphill battle. It’s no secret that the GWS salary roll is already too heavy and that it has to make large and wholesale cuts to get it down (Giants and Suns had larger salary in comparison to the rest of the competition to keep its talent etc. was supposed to be staggered until it got back to parity but two COVID effected seasons fast forwarded everything). The result is two fold. One, the best contract is unlikely to come from the Giants; and two, it’s likely more experienced talent will be leaving the Giants than it bringing it in. So if Taranto wants a hefty payday and go to a competing team, it’s more likely to not be the Giants.

Rcd will get a go elsewhere coz he’s a r1 pic and doing well at VFL avg 21p 5 tackles , my tip gws or coll
https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F86a6a920-ca73-4f59-aade-db50cd72693c

HRS is a poor kick. Very limited upside unless that improves. I’d trade him and Rhyan Mansell as well.

Not sure what people on here see in either of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Realistically, our future best-22 is going to have a mix of good ball users, ball winners and elite runners who are average kicks at best, and hard-nut role players, just like it currently does and like it did through the flag years.

Hugo is going to fall into the elite runner category at the very least and given his already nuggety physique, it won't surprise me to see him also show inside ball winning talent further down the track. He's comfortably a good enough kick to fill those kind of roles, I wouldn't grade him as "poor" - there's numerous examples of perfectly respectable kicking in the small sample of games we have.

IMO, it's really important to keep in mind that at this stage of their career, with kids like him who are learning to cope with the repeat sprinting and other massively demanding physical aspects of the game at the top level, their disposal by foot is going to be very hit and miss.

If you have a look back through his draft highlights you'll see plenty of well executed, orthodox drop punts and some quality checksides, the kid's no bunny, we'll just be watching him kick tired (badly) quite often in games for another season or two until he catches up to the seasoned players.

As for Mansell, he fits the role player category well with his aggression and accountability. Takes a balanced blend of types to make a great team and we knew what we were getting when we drafted both these kids - they both fit the type of player we love.

Realistically, our future best-22 is going to have a mix of good ball users, ball winners and elite runners who are average kicks at best, and hard-nut role players, just like it currently does and like it did through the flag years.

Hugo is going to fall into the elite runner category at the very least and given his already nuggety physique, it won't surprise me to see him also show inside ball winning talent further down the track. He's comfortably a good enough kick to fill those kind of roles, I wouldn't grade him as "poor" - there's numerous examples of perfectly respectable kicking in the small sample of games we have.

IMO, it's really important to keep in mind that at this stage of their career, with kids like him who are learning to cope with the repeat sprinting and other massively demanding physical aspects of the game at the top level, their disposal by foot is going to be very hit and miss.

If you have a look back through his draft highlights you'll see plenty of well executed, orthodox drop punts and some quality checksides, the kid's no bunny, we'll just be watching him kick tired (badly) quite often in games for another season or two until he catches up to the seasoned players.

As for Mansell, he fits the role player category well with his aggression and accountability. Takes a balanced blend of types to make a great team and we knew what we were getting when we drafted both these kids - they both fit the type of player we love.

I can't believe Hugo and Mansell are being spoken about, they are our future both are required IMO. Mansell offers toughness and would have been a lock if Rioli didn't turn it all around. Hugo will be an amazing winger in years to come. We would be crazy to let them go, can't we give away Castagna, Aarts, Soldo and Stack surely Castagna and Aarts and a packet of Montecarlos would do the trick.

Ralphsmith limited upside? Give me a ******* break. Elite tank, good hands, good workrate, good size, good kick for goal, versatile. The only knock I'd have on him atm is that he panics a bit under pressure.
Ralphsmith has plenty of upside, but he also has plenty of holes in his game. I'm not as confident that he'll make it compared to blokes we drafted this year like Banks and Sonsie.

I have always likened him to Cam Guthrie in his junior years and like HRS Cam was also predominantly outside player that in time developed inside ability to his credit. Not sure if the club are wanting this but in 4-5 years time i see a similar type with similar upside

Their Stats are incredibly similar at the same age and i think 2023 and beyond we will see HRS step up another level again and hopefully take over 1 of the wings permanently allowing Pickett to be used more through the mid/fwd

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed re composure being the issue with HRS kicking rather than technical flaws

Remember Gerard Healy raving about this guy early in the season about how good he could be.
Absolutely all about composure , even sonz had a couple of unforced errors similar to what Hugo has had ,,,they both good kicks don’t you worry about that

Agreed re composure being the issue with HRS kicking rather than technical flaws

Remember Gerard Healy raving about this guy early in the season about how good he could be.
Everyone was saying the same thing about Lachy Sholl. However better players have gone past him. We have drafted players that play the same position as HRS and I can see Brown, Banks and Sonsie go past him.

Everyone was saying the same thing about Lachy Sholl. However better players have gone past him. We have drafted players that play the same position as HRS and I can see Brown, Banks and Sonsie go past him.
Time will tell but there’s no reason all those players can’t eventually be in the same side by the time they are in their prime.
We are setting players up in the VFL to play multiple positions. We’ve seen HRS forward/wing/back. Already seeing the same with Banks and Brown.

Sonsie is a midfielder and I could see Banks moving into the midfield in time too. McIntosh is 29 next season, Pickett is 31. Ralphsmith played most of his juniors as a half forward.

There is no reason all those youngsters can't play in the same team in a couple of seasons.

Sonsie is a midfielder and I could see Banks moving into the midfield in time too. McIntosh is 29 next season, Pickett is 31. Ralphsmith played most of his juniors as a half forward.

There is no reason all those youngsters can't play in the same team in a couple of seasons.
Wonder if the club would entertain the idea of Pickett on ball?

He’s such a weapon in the wing but would allow ralphsmith to take a wing

Love stack but a 2nd / future 2nd too good to refuse
Stack is such a liability that I doubt his value is very high. For the potential he has we’d be better off keeping him on the list, maybe as a rookie, and going all in again until he comes good. Trading him will not net us anything and only make us look on in angst when he becomes a star elsewhere ala Stengle

Stack is such a liability that I doubt his value is very high. For the potential he has we’d be better off keeping him on the list, maybe as a rookie, and going all in again until he comes good. Trading him will not net us anything and only make us look on in angst when he becomes a star elsewhere ala Stengle

Stacky is a back man. Yes he can play forward or probably even midfield but he's looked his most comfortable behind the ball. It's just unfortunate for him we've got better/safer options back there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RCD couldn't even break into our aging midfield.
No way he'd be involved in a trade when they can pick him up in the psd if they're desperate for depth cover only.

Agree. RT in dreamland again. Our list management team own keyboards as well. You dont need to have one to know we'd be lucky to get a bag of crisps for RCD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back