Traded Trent West (Geelong) to Brisbane for #41

Remove this Banner Ad

Big pickup for the lions. Question is, Where's Billy Longer going now?

if longer goes to geelong that'll be an alright result if they lose west. they've got a couple young rucks coming through but adding another might just prolong their dominance a while longer (haha no pun intended).

Will be a good get if Geelong can get Longer. Saints were always unlikely to part ways with a decent pick to satisfy the lions so Longer really is up for grabs for anyone who wants to pay a decent price.

Not sure Geelong are interested in Longer. They are just moving West on for a pick of Lions. Lions will need a back up for Luey. Cats already have Simpson - McIntosh - Blivacs and Vardy and rucks. Be surprised they chased Longer - just looking to get a late second round pick. Wells has a good record in draft so you would back him in.

I would be shocked if Saints get Longer for pick 25. To the best of my knowledge 18 + Savage would have been reluctantly accepted by the Lions had he wished to go. Lions wanted more so it would be an amazing coup for St Kilda if it were to come off. At first there was talk that Longer would stay if a trade couldn't be agreed to, but as it's unfolded he may very well threaten to walk into the PSD, putting Saints into prime position.

I would be shocked if Saints get Longer for pick 25. To the best of my knowledge 18 + Savage would have been reluctantly accepted by the Lions had he wished to go. Lions wanted more so it would be an amazing coup for St Kilda if it were to come off. At first there was talk that Longer would stay if a trade couldn't be agreed to, but as it's unfolded he may very well threaten to walk into the PSD, putting Saints into prime position.

They should just Swap Longer for West then. I have a feeling Dal Santo going (which they've known for a while) freed up a tonne of cash for the Saints and they've been getting in the ear of these young fellows and luring them back home, Longer, Bruce et cetera.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They should just Swap Longer for West then. I have a feeling Dal Santo going (which they've known for a while) freed up a tonne of cash for the Saints and they've been getting in the ear of these young fellows and luring them back home, Longer, Bruce et cetera.

We would be happy to do that, but for Longers request.

This is what a lot of people are not understanding. We had 5 players come to us. 4 of them wanted to return home, 3 of which specified a club, one which couldnt make his mind up between two.

We could have done one of 3 things:

1) Accepted the players position and dealt with the club they specifically requested they be traded to. These are 19-21 year old, 2-3 year players. Barely out of their AFL infancy.

2) Tell the players we will take the best deal we can get with whoever offers it to us for the benefit of the club, if they want to leave after barely leaving a mark at the club.

3) Offer the players more $ to stay and forget about going home like they expressed their preferences being.

Now, we would love to take number 2 with Longer. Theres clubs in Melbourne besides Saints who would likely trade with us. But we are putting Longers wishes first, and attempting to get him to St Kilda. Which puts us in the worse position possible, as we were with Polec and Port, Yeo and West coast and will also be with Karnezsis and Collingwood.

I dont understand Brisbane have all these plethora of underachieving KPF/Rucks?

why add another one?

+1

Can probably cover Leueny with Stef Martin and Sam Michael and not even bother replacing Longer with a veteran.

Anything Geelong get for West will have them laughing. They know they've got 4 better options on their list.

West is no star but is the ideal second ruck man in that he is mobile, can rest forward and decent around the ground, physical etc.

Problem at Geelong was having Simpson and Hmac go down, he is just not suited to the no.1 role and we preferred to give games to a potential gun CHF (vardy) and freak athlete playing is first year of footy since u14s.

West is a better ruck than both the above when he is behind a good no.1.

In saying that, possible trade ideas may be:

West + #36 for #25; or
West for #34

Hamish McIntosh has really hamstrung Geelong's list.

I don't think West is worth pick 41.

But good luck to the Lions. I hope he pays off for you.

As opposed to the player we could have gotten at 41, in a draft where anything past 30 is considered a less than 10% chance to be decent, we take a mature player.

God we suck at this trading thing!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back