tweaking time

Remove this Banner Ad

bigman

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2004
All Parts
AFL Club
Adelaide
With the season now half over and byes occurring it is now time to reassess our side and make some subtle changes to a team that plays well at home and inconsistently away during games.

With Doedee out Worrell becomes a key player. He would have been a better option on Jack on the weekend but that is in the past nd we did not know we were going to lose Doedee during the game to make matters worse.

Sholl unfortunately has run out of petrol tickets and his lack of tackling ability has cost us goals in recent weeks. He needs a rest and Cook deserves his chance playing consistent football for the twos each week.

ROB needs a cut out in the ruck. If Filthy is unable to do this because of his knee why not play two rucks and see if it can work. If it doesn't at least we have tried.

Nank must be close to a debut. If not at half back on the wing. He too has been one of our better performers in the SANFL.

Soligo looks cooked to me. Maybe a time for a rest and Nank could take his place. He has not been as consistent this year. He looks less cool in the crisis this year.

Pedlar needs to have his midfield minutes increased. He is one player who has terrific acceleration away from the contest and who can run and spread from the centre bounce.

Rory should play a sub role from time to time. He should not be getting a lot of time in the middle at the start of games.

Harry played his best game for the year on Saturday. Kicked two running goals and was more of the Harry we saw in his first few years. He needs to replicate more of this before returning to the side

Last edited:
I think Soligo has been stuffed around by the coaches, we haven’t settled him, they forget he’s a second year player.

Started season on the half forward flank, then midfield and played it well, remember Pies game. Then so we can fit Keays back into the midfield we’ve moved him to a wing. How about we move Sloane out of the midfield whose form is no better than Soligos and we actually get some development into Soligo.

We can’t play 2 rucks, that makes our side way too tall unless we aren’t playing Thilthorpe and that would be madness. ROB is useless up front so we’d be playing a man down. Shout out to list management, how about bringing in another ruck!!! 2 on the list is a joke.

Cook deserves a chance and I’m ok with Sholl given a rest, just don’t know if Cook has the same fitness levels but I’ve not really seen much sanfl so can’t comment there.

My changes would be:

Sloane rest, then rotating between some starting games and sub but that’s just not going to happen sadly.
Soligo to the guts and we rotate him more with Pedlar/Rach.
Cook to the wing
Jones back to the wing, playing his best footy on the wing and last 2 weeks we’ve had to send him back due to poor team selections. Plus give him some bursts through the middle, who knows he might do well.
When McAdam is fit, get him back in. Murphy out, just not good enough. Take away the mids safety blanket of pushing Murphy up around the ball, how about they win it themselves and rotating Pedlar/Rach/Soligo can play that role when resting. Id even chuck Shoenberg in the mix

I think Soligo has been stuffed around by the coaches, we haven’t settled him, they forget he’s a second year player.

Started season on the half forward flank, then midfield and played it well, remember Pies game. Then so we can fit Keays back into the midfield we’ve moved him to a wing. How about we move Sloane out of the midfield whose form is no better than Soligos and we actually get some development into Soligo.

We can’t play 2 rucks, that makes our side way too tall unless we aren’t playing Thilthorpe and that would be madness. ROB is useless up front so we’d be playing a man down. Shout out to list management, how about bringing in another ruck!!! 2 on the list is a joke.

Cook deserves a chance and I’m ok with Sholl given a rest, just don’t know if Cook has the same fitness levels but I’ve not really seen much sanfl so can’t comment there.

My changes would be:

Sloane rest, then rotating between some starting games and sub but that’s just not going to happen sadly.
Soligo to the guts and we rotate him more with Pedlar/Rach.
Cook to the wing
Jones back to the wing, playing his best footy on the wing and last 2 weeks we’ve had to send him back due to poor team selections. Plus give him some bursts through the middle, who knows he might do well.
When McAdam is fit, get him back in. Murphy out, just not good enough. Take away the mids safety blanket of pushing Murphy up around the ball, how about they win it themselves and rotating Pedlar/Rach/Soligo can play that role when resting. Id even chuck Shoenberg in the mix
+ Worrell now has to come in and I like it

I think we need to start phasing Thilthorpe into the number 1 Ruck spot.

The issue with that is second Ruck/chop out. RoB is not a Ruck/Forward.

I do wonder with Worrell in Murray can Ruck 30%.

Nicks does seem to like Murray as second Ruck.

Bring in Gollant up forward.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Soligo was hitting form, then we subbed him. Then we pushed him out of the midfield for more Sloane/Keays.
His drop in output has little to do with him and more to do with the coaches.
Disagree. Last year he showed he could impact wherever he was played. This year he's struggling in all positions (including midfield) aside from a few good games.

His kicking and decision making has dropped off and he is getting caught far too often. It's a development thing not a positional thing.

Edit : I think he's a mid and should get some games as a full time mid in the Sanfl to work on the areas he's struggling

Soligo was hitting form, then we subbed him. Then we pushed him out of the midfield for more Sloane/Keays.
His drop in output has little to do with him and more to do with the coaches.
One of his best games of year was against saints 3 weeks ago

He was ok against lions

Some people talk the talk re youth then jump at shadows

He’s going fine but let’s settle him down a bit , he should be 30% inside mid for mine

First step is to get Sloane out of the midfield. We're bleeding in there as opponents run away from him like he's standing still. Sub only from now on.

Similarly we need to get Crouch out of the SANFL midfield. He can spend his last few months on an AFL list sitting in the forward line.

I think we can phase Thilthorpe in by making Rob rest forward. He can take a strong contested mark. Not ideal I agree given he can't kick. But I mean Ian Perrie anyone.

If we do go with Murray, we need him to be given a few weeks to work out how to play midfield, he looked lost on the weekend.

Harry played his best game for the year on Saturday. Kicked two running goals and was more of the Harry we saw in his first few years. He needs to replicate more of this before returning to the side
Wasn't the knock a lack of two way running ?(genuine question, that's what I thought was the issue)

Out of interest any other mids catch your eye in the SANFL?

Disagree. Last year he showed he could impact wherever he was played. This year he's struggling in all positions (including midfield) aside from a few good games.

His kicking and decision making has dropped off and he is getting caught far too often. It's a development thing not a positional thing.

Edit : I think he's a mid and should get some games as a full time mid in the Sanfl to work on the areas he's struggling
Agree with this. Soligo's performance on the weekend wasn't an issue with being stuffed around by the coaches, he had a really poor game. I'd be happy to see him back in the SANFL winning a bunch of the ball and getting his confidence back up. He has a long term role to play for sure but I would like to get a look at Schoenberg for a full game again.

I really don't want Thilthorpe getting smashed up in the ruck any more than necessary. Chipping in with a few minutes when ROB (or whoever is number 1) is having a rest is one thing, but I wouldn't want him to be the number 1. I'd want him up forward, although if we're getting smashed in the middle due to our sub-par midfield then I'd push him up into the middle, whether that's as ruckman or just start in F50 at the bounce then roam up the ground after that.

I'd give ROB a rest, give Strachan a crack for a couple of weeks, but longer term we need to be looking for another option for that position that can be an upgrade on ROB / Strachan but not require throwing Thilthorpe in there. We just don't really have any depth or development there at all after Strachan. Unless you count Himmelberg, and I'd probably rather just play a man short.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nick's does seem to like Murray as a 2nd ruck?

That experiment failed on the weekend, it was a failed move.

Everything Murray has done this far suggests he can become one of the best KPD's in the League, some would suggest he's very close to that already....bugger using him as 2nd ruck while his KPF opponent runs riot.

If we drafted Thilthorpe at pick 2 (pick 1 really) to be our lead ruck then we payed too much draft collateral, we paid premium KPF rates to get him.

We need to draft a developing young Ruckman and this is an excellent draft to do just that, 3 that come straight to mind Taylor Goad, Mitch Edwards, Joe Pike.

I think we can phase Thilthorpe in by making Rob rest forward. He can take a strong contested mark. Not ideal I agree given he can't kick. But I mean Ian Perrie anyone.

If we do go with Murray, we need him to be given a few weeks to work out how to play midfield, he looked lost on the weekend.

Wasn't the knock a lack of two way running ?(genuine question, that's what I thought was the issue)

Cap unfortunately our mids were generally beaten by their opponents on the weekend except for Harry on the weekend and Hately when he switched to the CC after three qr time.

Crouch looks like he knows now he is done at he AFC but he still gets a tonne of it. Berry is still not able to break free from tackles and win ball out of stoppages but he did take a few marks again which has been missing from his game. Brown who tries to play like the Daicos' and Rozee and Butters but without the talent. Billy played well in first term and then became indecisive and fumbly.

Hately is not an outside mid he needs to play inside where his kicking skills are less of an issue.

Cap unfortunately our mids were generally beaten by their opponents on the weekend except for Harry on the weekend and Hately when he switched to the CC after three qr time.

Crouch looks like he knows now he is done at he AFC but he still gets a tonne of it. Berry is still not able to break free from tackles and win ball out of stoppages but he did take a few marks again which has been missing from his game. Brown who tries to play like the Daicos' and Rozee and Butters but without the talent. Billy played well in first term and then became indecisive and fumbly.

Hately is not an outside mid he needs to play inside where his kicking skills are less of an issue.
Cheers for that, not a great reflection on our midfield development.

Had hopes for Hatley but that boat seems to have sailed.

It would be good to see Harry get another run at it.

So true, and very funny.

RoB up forward could work if he had a better kick. He has strong hands.

Yeah agree, Murray does need to get better in the middle for it to work.

Cheers for that, not a great reflection on our midfield development.

Had hopes for Hatley but that boat seems to have sailed.

It would be good to see Harry get another run at it.
Hately should never have worn the number 6...

Cursed number since Blight traded Mods.

RoB up forward could work if he had a better kick. He has strong hands.

Yeah agree, Murray does need to get better in the middle for it to work.

The kicking his the biggest problem. But I guess Carlton didn't seem to mind with their forward set up. Could work for 12 rounds, understand pipe dream.
Hately should never have worn the number 6...

Cursed number since Blight traded Mods.

We need that curse lifted, I assume it will be lifted when the next captain is wears 6 and wins the flag.

Don’t think I could deal with Rob in the F50. I just imagine us having 12 I50 for the quarter for 6marks , 3 for Rob, 3 for Keays for a total return of 2 points

We should totally destroy the knee of our highest draft pick in the ruck because people are too stubborn to accept its a ridiculous use of resources.

Dudes still wearing a freaking bandage from this lunacy

We should totally destroy the knee of our highest draft pick in the ruck because people are too stubborn to accept its a ridiculous use of resources.

Dudes still wearing a freaking bandage from this lunacy
I listened to him in an interview that he wanted to be a midfielder.

Can you imagine Rob tapping it to Thilthorpe

I listened to him in an interview that he wanted to be a midfielder.

Can you imagine Rob tapping it to Thilthorpe
This is why I see him as a Ruck

He is naturally a tall mid.

Sure his height and strong hands make him a good Forward target. But his work in traffic is ridiculously good.

Almost a shame he isn't 8cm shorter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back