tweaking time

Remove this Banner Ad

With the season now half over and byes occurring it is now time to reassess our side and make some subtle changes to a team that plays well at home and inconsistently away during games.

With Doedee out Worrell becomes a key player. He would have been a better option on Jack on the weekend but that is in the past nd we did not know we were going to lose Doedee during the game to make matters worse.

Sholl unfortunately has run out of petrol tickets and his lack of tackling ability has cost us goals in recent weeks. He needs a rest and Cook deserves his chance playing consistent football for the twos each week.

ROB needs a cut out in the ruck. If Filthy is unable to do this because of his knee why not play two rucks and see if it can work. If it doesn't at least we have tried.

Nank must be close to a debut. If not at half back on the wing. He too has been one of our better performers in the SANFL.

Soligo looks cooked to me. Maybe a time for a rest and Nank could take his place. He has not been as consistent this year. He looks less cool in the crisis this year.

Pedlar needs to have his midfield minutes increased. He is one player who has terrific acceleration away from the contest and who can run and spread from the centre bounce.

Rory should play a sub role from time to time. He should not be getting a lot of time in the middle at the start of games.

Harry played his best game for the year on Saturday. Kicked two running goals and was more of the Harry we saw in his first few years. He needs to replicate more of this before returning to the side
Agree on Worrell, Nank and 2 rucks, good write up.

Agree with this. Soligo's performance on the weekend wasn't an issue with being stuffed around by the coaches, he had a really poor game. I'd be happy to see him back in the SANFL winning a bunch of the ball and getting his confidence back up. He has a long term role to play for sure but I would like to get a look at Schoenberg for a full game again.

Anyone who suggests dropping Soligo ahead of Sloane should consider following another sport, footy is too complicated for them.

This is why I see him as a Ruck

He is naturally a tall mid.

Sure his height and strong hands make him a good Forward target. But his work in traffic is ridiculously good.

Almost a shame he isn't 8cm shorter.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
They need to find something for him.

I don't think he is a 100% pure forward either seems wasted.

We can’t play 2 rucks, that makes our side way too tall unless we aren’t playing Thilthorpe and that would be madness. ROB is useless up front so we’d be playing a man down. Shout out to list management, how about bringing in another ruck!!! 2 on the list is a joke.
Oh course you can play two rucks, it's not a new tactic.
Good coaches should be willing to change and experiment with team line up's.
ROB can ruck, Thilthorpe can start in the forward line and Strachan on the bench.
ROB and Strachan can rotate from the bench to give different looks at center bounces or around the ground.
Thilthorpe can be used around the ground and Strachan can be thrown forward or back at times. (You cannot say our backline is overly tall.)
It all depends on how the team is travelling.
All three don't need to be on the ground at once but if the circumstances call they can.
When we are getting beaten in the center clearances, adjustments don't always come from the midfielders, the rucks may have to adjust.
A change to their palming patterns to hit a different drop zone, simply smashing the ball forward or throwing different combinations of ruck men at our opposition is another alternative until the coaches find something that works.

Having witnessed an undersized Murray go into the ruck last week showed us how little flexibility we had to alter the look of the game.
If Burgess has us as fit as everyone gives him credit for then taking in an extra ruck man to certain games should not be a problem.
It's just another option to consider, the coaches still have to make the right moves. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work but there is merit in trying.

I do agree we need another ruck on our list.

ROB can ruck, Thilthorpe can start in the forward line and Strachan on the bench.
ROB and Strachan can rotate from the bench to give different looks at center bounces or around the ground.
Thilthorpe can be used around the ground and Strachan can be thrown forward or back at times. (You cannot say our backline is overly tall.)
All three don't need to be on the ground at once but if the circumstances call they can.
When we are getting beaten in the center clearances, adjustments don't always come from the midfielders, the rucks may have to adjust.
A change to their palming patterns to hit a different drop zone, simply smashing the ball forward or throwing different combinations of ruck men at our opposition is another alternative until the coaches find something that works.

Having witnessed an undersized Murray go into the ruck last week showed us how little flexibility we had to alter the look of the game.
If Burgess has us as fit as everyone gives him credit for then taking in an extra ruck man to certain games should not be a problem.
It's just another option to consider, the coaches still have to make the right moves. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work but there is merit in trying.

I should have qualified that with you can’t play 2 average rucks who are limited where else they can play, sure 2 decent ones is worth a go, also depends on your forward line.

ROB can’t play forward, I doubt Strachan can either and either in our forward line means a decent forward isn’t there. You can’t have one of these guys permanently on the bench as you are effectively down a rotation.

I should have qualified that with you can’t play 2 average rucks who are limited where else they can play, sure 2 decent ones is worth a go, also depends on your forward line.

ROB can’t play forward, I doubt Strachan can either and either in our forward line means a decent forward isn’t there. You can’t have one of these guys permanently on the bench as you are effectively down a rotation.
When Rob is in defense and taking marks the Crows win. He doesn't do it often enough.

Don’t think I could deal with Rob in the F50. I just imagine us having 12 I50 for the quarter for 6marks , 3 for Rob, 3 for Keays for a total return of 2 points
On the bright side, I'd get to hammer these gifs a bit

reilly-obrien-kicking-gif.1636921

ben-keays-kicking-gif.1659114

They need to find something for him.

I don't think he is a 100% pure forward either seems wasted.
Imo model his game on prime Nick Reiwoldt. No-one big enough can keep up, no one quick enough can contest.

It would require us to hit a lead up though.

Imo model his game on prime Nick Reiwoldt. No-one big enough can keep up, no one quick enough can contest.

Yep, could see that, would be extremely damaging.

Saves getting smashed constantly in one on ones as well

Last edited:

I agree our rucks need an upgrade and I wouldn't play ROB forward, as for the rotation why they're on the field someone's having a rest.
That is you're perception, you're not down a rotation at all, it comes down to they're effectiveness on the field.

Given we are 6:6 and struggling away from home it is obvious that we need to tweak our present team make some changes and give some players a chance to impress in the A’s who have been stuck in the reserves to date. Nank and cook are two that come immediate to mind they would both be add some pace and flair to our team
Sholl and Soligo may be the two to miss

Worrell hopefully will come in this week and add some much needed height to the team Dodee out

Looking at crouch on the weekend he appears to either be going through the motions or struggling with the type of game style we require

Our stoppage work at league and reserves level is not giving us an advantage over the opposition. As La 40 stated we need to change our technique and approach here or get new coaches

Parnell had a Barry Crocker on the
Weekend but he can give us good run out of the backline

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the idea of tweaking. For me players fall into a few groups:

Play every week despite form dips
Dropped if out of form
Needs less games
Needs more games

Plays every week despite form dips
Dawson
Rankine
Murray
Laird (altho I’m open to putting him back to HB sometimes)
Rachele
Pedlar
Max
Worrell
Thilthorpe
Fog

Dropped if out of form (and for healthily amount of list rotation)
Soligo
Sholl
Butts
Parnell
Milera
ROB
McHenry
Murphy
Walker
Keays
Hinge
Jones
McAdam

Need more games
Schoenberg
Cook
Dowling
Keane
Strachan

Need less games
Sloane
Himmelberg
Doedee (even before his injury)

I think our major problem with selection is not turning over the players in list 2 enough. Look at the Cats. They are struggling for wins, and have injuries in their mids, but even they can resist picking a pretty good player like Parfitt every week, and instead give kids like knevitt a go. The Bulldogs do this well (maybe they overdo it, but we are nowhere near that kind of problem).

The rebuild isn’t over, we still need to expose more of our list to AFL footy.

Dropped if out of form
Needs less games
Needs more games

Dawson
Rankine
Murray
Rachele
Pedlar
Max
Worrell
Thilthorpe
Fog

Soligo
Sholl
Butts
Parnell
Milera
ROB
McHenry
Murphy
Walker
Keays
Hinge
Jones
McAdam

Need more games
Schoenberg
Cook
Dowling
Keane
Strachan

Need less games
Sloane
Himmelberg

I think our major problem with selection is not turning over the players in list 2 enough. Look at the Cats. They are struggling for wins, and have injuries in their mids, but even they can resist picking a pretty good player like Parfitt every week, and instead give kids like knevitt a go. The Bulldogs do this well (maybe they overdo it, but we are nowhere near that kind of problem).

Not sure why you haven’t got Soligo in the first group

This is why I see him as a Ruck

He is naturally a tall mid.

Sure his height and strong hands make him a good Forward target. But his work in traffic is ridiculously good.

Almost a shame he isn't 8cm shorter.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
What if we ignore his height and thought about what role his skills suggest? A bit like we needed to think of Jenkins as a mid/small forward rather than a tall forward.

Playing TT as a mid would be interesting. Imagine if it worked...

One of his best games of year was against saints 3 weeks ago

He was ok against lions

Some people talk the talk re youth then jump at shadows

He’s going fine but let’s settle him down a bit , he should be 30% inside mid for mine

Soligo is the classic example of why young teams are up and down. Not yet at the level where he can play impactful minutes week after week after week

We are tracking ahead of where we all thought we would. We have blown 3 games that would have positioned us in the top 4

Patience is required while Soligo, Pedlar and Rachele build there tanks.

It was only 18 months ago that there were some regular observations on here about Rozee and Butters plateauing - they are 3 years ahead of our boys

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I thought that when we drafted him, he should be developed as a roaming forward like St.Nick and Jeremy Cameron, he would be a defenders nightmare in that role.

Dropped if out of form
Needs less games
Needs more games

Dawson
Rankine
Murray
Rachele
Pedlar
Max
Worrell
Thilthorpe
Fog

Soligo
Sholl
Butts
Parnell
Milera
ROB
McHenry
Murphy
Walker
Keays
Hinge
Jones
McAdam

Need more games
Schoenberg
Cook
Dowling
Keane
Strachan

Need less games
Sloane
Himmelberg

Agree with the majority of that list, where do you have Berry and Gollant?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back