Unpopular Basketball Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

The Westbrook one isn't. I'm so surprised how many people pegged him as a great defender. Him and Durant have the tools to be great but they gamble or get a bit lazy.

Here is a big one. A very controversial opinion but Luis Scola is a HOF player. Here is why. 4x Americas MVP, Spanish League MVP (x2), Won all the Spanish basketball titles, 2x Euroleague 1st team, gold medalist for Argentina in the Olympics and dominated the international scene.

Well it's not just NBA players that can be inducted, but he has played 9 years in the NBA and while pretty good, not great. He has basically nothing on his NBA resume. And that has been through the peak of his career (27 to 35).

Yep, he would. He's MJ. Not going to argue about him giving them fits. Still doesn't make the Bulls unbeatable.
Well you sit there and say the Bulls arent unbeatable. Yet they were. They went to the Finals 6 times, they won 6 times. Jordan once he reached the top of the mountain was never knocked off. So... unbeatable.

I never really understand when people say it's tougher. It was a more physical game yes, but that doesn't mean you have to be better to win. Every year there is one champion. Same as today. You beat the competition that's in front of you. Doesn't mean that if they change the rules, take out hard fouls and all of a sudden it becomes easier to win. Both teams are playing by the same rules.
Of course both teams are playing by the same rules but the Bulls are used to the harder fouls, the tougher play. The NBA is soft these days. GSW would have trouble going back to 96 and playing in those circumstances. That doesnt translate to the Bulls coming forward, as they would just find it easier and less physical.

Bulls aren't seasoned in handling the Warriors offense, or wondering wtf is happening when players are pulling up 8 feet behind the 3 point line 8 seconds into a shot clock. Bulls aren't seasoned in how good team defense and help defense is now. Wing defenders are better than ever. You are under-estimating how much the game has moved on. s**t, they are running an offense that is pre-historic now (and been figured out).
The game is completely different which is why it is hard to compare teams from different eras. Obviously if you just started the series the Bulls would be a little bit lost as they wouldnt be used to the way the game is played today which makes it unfair. You would have to give them a season under Phil to get up to speed, make adjustments and get back to winning which im sure they would.

Pippen is a GOAT candidate for guarding the 3, but not the 1. Obviously can still do it, but it wasn't like he was guarding Payton or Stockton in the Finals.
He didnt need to guard Payton or Stockton in the Finals. He could have easily switched onto them if needed. Doing Pippen a bit of a disservice there mate. Could guard anywhere from 1 to smaller 4's and do at GOAT levels. The bloke was ridiculous defensively.

Kerr shot nothing but wide open jumpers. He's a great shooter, but he would be abused in this series. And letting Steph rest on defense is a horrible idea. And obviously having Kerr guard Curry isn't a great idea.
All players have to carry some guys. Kanter at OKC is a prime example. Harden at Houston, B.Wallace at Detroit. Some blokes arent gonna give you enough at both ends but give you enough at one end to get them on the floor.

Kerr's three point shooting is going to be needed. He is going to get looks too as Jordan and Pippen require doubles.

Why would they be doubling with Steph? Kerr wasn't a good defender though and the 90s was filled with 6 foot white guy shooters, so he always had someone to defend when he was out there. How many Steve Kerr type players are there today? Barb will still abuse him, not to the level Steph Curry would obviously.
I think you underrate Kerr a bit. He was a smart player which you can see by his coaching. He understand defence, where to be and spacing etc. He was a key cog for Chicago in that three-peat. He would effect the series. You're suddenly turning Barbosa into some world beater. He's a journey man at best.

Harper obviously. He wasn't an offensive weapon when he was with the Bulls. He averaged 7ppg.
Steph would get abused in the post by Harper, the sheer size advantage. Plus Harper only averaged 7ppg because he wasnt required to score. Jordan, Pippen and Kukoc did most of that. Can Harper score though? You bet he can. Averaged over 15-20ppg for most of his career and was known as a scorer before joining the Bulls and changing his game.

So they are going to completely change their triangle offense for one series? Bulls very rarely used switches to abused them. I think in the NBA Finals I remember Jordan posting up Stockton only a handful of times. Harper in the post wasn't generally a scoring option for the Bulls. 7ppg.
Who knows what Phil would do. You have to give him time to have a look at the Warriors. See what they do and adjust. You cant just throw them into a series with no knowledge of what they are up against.

If they could get a switch they abused it quickly and often. With the triangle and Jordan in the post, they didnt need switches as Jordan's fadeaway in the post was unguardable and money. So whether it was Stockon, Hornacek or Russell, Jordan was gonna have his way.

They would often abuse Hornacek against Pippen or if Stockton found himself against Jordan, they would quickly go to the post. Today's NBA is so different with switch up's and a million screens though so the Bulls would obviously adjust.

If Jordan was so great why hadn't he worked out how powerful the 3 is? Be ahead of the times. When he lost his athleticism why didn't he become an all time great 3 point shooter. You don't become great at shooting 3s in months btw. Years at best.
He's not an oracle where he knows where the game will be in 10 years time and how important the three ball will become. He is playing in his era, doing his thing. If he were to be playing now, Jordan would be an excellent three point shooter, he would work on it to make it top notch, no doubt about it. He was pretty decent from deep anyways back in the day.

ESPN keep telling me Ezili would be starting on another team :p Also Barbosa was a pretty good player before hand. Likewise Livingston before the injury. But they obviously look better at the Warriors, but I know if I have a choice of Randy Brown or Barbosa, or Livingston or Kerr, I'm going with the Warrior boys.
ESPN say a lot of silly things though. As I said the Warriors bench is better but let's not blow it out of proportion. Ezeli is average and Barbosa and Livingston were journeymen. They are made to look better than they are by being on a great team, much like a lot of the Bulls bench players were made to look in their day.

Despite the Warriors having the better bench, the Bulls have the better starters though so it evens out.

Early days obviously and jumping the gun by a lot, but saying that Green and/or Thompson if they continue their current career trajectory would retire and become Hall of Famers isn't crazy.
Jumping the gun their mate. Haha. Are they handing out HOF spots to anyone nowadays. Give me strength.

This post just doesn't make sense and is nonsense. So Jordan wasn't trying in 96? If he wanted to he could up his effective shooting percentage by 10% (which is how much Steph is currently in front of him btw - 68% to 58%). Must have been half arsing it that year...
Not sure you understood what I was saying. Records are made to be beat. You cant chase and beat something that doesnt exist. So you are comparing Steph's current season to Jordan's but not allowing Jordan to respond.

What I mean is that if Jordan were playing today and people on ESPN and social media are banging on about Steph Curry and what he is doing, do you think Jordan would just plod along or would be come out and score 50. Hit a game winner. Get three triple doubles in a row. Score 40+ for 5 consecutive games. That's who he is/was.

Oh someone is challenging me, ill better them.

But he cant respond to what Steph is doing now because he is retired and old. But if they were playing in a 7 game series, im willing to bet Jordan would have the bigger series and take his team to victory. He would take on the challenge of Curry and beat him. That's just who he was.

So how do these series go jod23 ?

Bulls jumped in a time machine to today and 7 game series started straight away under today's rules

Warriors jumped in a time machine to 96 and played a 7 game series under the 96 rules. Neither team given time to prepare

Bulls jumped in a time machine to today, they are given 6 months to prepare with assistance from today's technology and training staffs. Also allowed to play other non-Warrior teams from today's NBA in practice games. 7 game series under today's rules.

Bulls jumped in a time machine to today, they are given 6 months to prepare with assistance from today's technology and training staffs. Also allowed to play other non-Warrior teams from the NBA in practice games. Warriors allowed practice games against other non-Bull teams from the 96 to prepare. 7 game series under 96 rules.

1. Bulls in 6. In today's game Jordan would be WAY too much to handle. He would abuse the Warriors defensively and get to the line about 30 times a game. Plus the Warriors have no exposure to Jordan. Back in the teams and players had played him for years. Jordan was a different animal. He'd light you up for 55 points, be jawing at you as you run down the court, then steal the ball, break away and dunk it. Then let you know about it again. He demoralised people. The Warriors have no experience with him.

2. Bulls in 6. A series played back then. More physical. The Warriors would struggle without the softer calls. Particularly going to the rim and looking for slight contact... no whistle. They would get frustrated. Also a physical battle works right into the Bulls favour who would abuse the Warriors on the boards which is where the series would be won and lost.

3. Bulls in 4 or 5. Todays rules as I said earlier makes it easier for the Bulls. Then you give them a ton of time to prepare with today's technology and training staff. You give Phil time to pick apart the Warriors and play against similar teams to work on it. Then a sweep could be on the cards.

4. Bulls in 6. Warriors get help by playing against tougher teams, more time to prepare for a physical battle. But the Bulls are too big and too strong anyways.

Also let's be realistic about Curry and his offensive season.

Jordan averaged 35.0ppg and shot .535 in 87/88. Won the MVP.

Curry currently is just over five hundred going at .507 for 29.8ppg.

How is that a better year offensively exactly?

TS Percentage and effective FG percentage. Do you even basketball? :p

Curry is 10 percentage point ahead in both. He's averaging more points per minute. Also averaging more assists per minute.

Sorry man, if Steph finishes the season at the current rate, he's got him beat for the best individual offensive season since 1980.

Nothing wrong with that.

MJ has him comfortably covered over the duration. For now...

And I'm going to stop arguing Bulls vs Warriors. You're too blinded. Warriors could win the next 138 games by 20+ and it wouldn't worry you. Bulls would always be better. MJ will always be god like. You really need to not be so stubborn about it. Bulls aren't perfect. MJ isn't perfect and he was beatable even after he reached the top (Orlando series? Time at the Wizards anyone?).

I mean MJ is the reason I follow basketball. He's my favorite player of all time and miles in front of second. I still spend time watching old 80s and 90s MJ games and would watch them over anything today. The 90s Bulls team is my favorite ever team. It was a good time with the Eagles winning, Wildcats winning and Bulls winning. But I'm not blind. I know MJ wasn't perfect. Neither the Bulls. They ran a very average offense that was carried by having good players. An offense that is laughed at these times. The Warriors "It doesn't really have a name, but I guess you call it movement, yet if there's a problem just give it to Steph and let him do something stupid that turns out awesome" offence is light-years ahead. The game has moved on. The Warriors are something else.

I did write my opinion in the unpopular opinions, so I expect it to be unpopular.

Curry is 10 percentage point ahead in both. He's averaging more points per minute. Also averaging more assists per minute.

Sorry man, if Steph finishes the season at the current rate, he's got him beat for the best individual offensive season since 1980.

Nothing wrong with that.

eFG% is crap. That stat only helps three point shooters. Curry is obviously mainly a three point shooter so that stat hugely favours him.

Anyways it doesnt bother me if anyone wants to put a Steph offensive season above MJ.

That 87/88 season where Jordan was dropping 35ppg and shooting at .535, he casually won DPOTY the same year.

A god amongst mere mortals is that man.

And I'm going to stop arguing Bulls vs Warriors. You're too blinded. Warriors could win the next 138 games by 20+ and it wouldn't worry you. Bulls would always be better. MJ will always be god like. You really need to not be so stubborn about it. Bulls aren't perfect. MJ isn't perfect and he was beatable even after he reached the top (Orlando series? Time at the Wizards anyone?).

I mean MJ is the reason I follow basketball. He's my favorite player of all time and miles in front of second. I still spend time watching old 80s and 90s MJ games and would watch them over anything today. The 90s Bulls team is my favorite ever team. It was a good time with the Eagles winning, Wildcats winning and Bulls winning. But I'm not blind. I know MJ wasn't perfect. Neither the Bulls. They ran a very average offense that was carried by having good players. An offense that is laughed at these times. The Warriors "It doesn't really have a name, but I guess you call it movement, yet if there's a problem just give it to Steph and let him do something stupid that turns out awesome" offence is light-years ahead. The game has moved on. The Warriors are something else.

I did write my opinion in the unpopular opinions, so I expect it to be unpopular.
MJ isnt perfect. Nobody is.

He wasnt beatable once he'd reached the top. The Orlando series doesnt count because the Bulls werent the champions. The Houston Rockets were and Jordan was 19 games into a comeback. The Wizards obviously doesnt count as he wasnt on top, he was an old man.

Once Jordan climbed the mountain, he was never knocked off it. It's very unique. Magic was beat, Bird was beat, Isiah was knocked off. Kobe got swept, Shaq lost. Jordan though, nobody knocked him off. He had to retire twice because there was nothing left to challenge him.

The game is vastly different now to what it was in the 90's to then the 80's, the 70's and 60's. I meant that great Boston team that won 8 straight would straight up get owned by Jordans Bulls. It would be embarrassing because it was such a different time.

90's and now can be more comparable but even still the game has changed so much.

Having said all that, I grew up on MJ. I watching him win all those rings. I watched all those games. I know how good he was. In a seven game series against anyone, id never tip against any of Jordan's Bulls team because, well.... Michael Jordan.

eFG% is crap. That stat only helps three point shooters. Curry is obviously mainly a three point shooter so that stat hugely favours him.

Anyways it doesnt bother me if anyone wants to put a Steph offensive season above MJ.

That 87/88 season where Jordan was dropping 35ppg and shooting at .535, he casually won DPOTY the same year.

eFG is important, but for the sake of it, let's drop that argument.

Steph shot better from 2 point land, 3 point land, the free throw line, had more points per minute and assists per minute. There is literally nothing Steph isn't doing better offensively. Okay MJ was better with taking care of the ball.

MJ is a God among men.

Well it's not just NBA players that can be inducted, but he has played 9 years in the NBA and while pretty good, not great. He has basically nothing on his NBA resume. And that has been through the peak of his career (27 to 35).

He's an HOF player because it's just not NBA and what he has done (playing small ball in 2004) has done good in the international game. Other current HOF players

Sure locks:
- Carmelo Anthony (Gold medal in the Olympics, high scorer)
- Luis Scola (International, Olympic Gold Medal)
- Pau Gasol (International, FIBA Winner, ROTY, 2x NBA Champ)
- Derrick Rose (MVP)
- LeBron James (x2 NBA Champ, ROTY, MVPs and it's LeBron James)
- Tiago Splitter (NBA Champ, 2x Spanish League Champ, Spanish Finals MVP, Spanish MVP, Euroleague 1st team and Americas winner for Brazil twice)
- Chris Bosh (x2 NBA Champ, Gold Medalist, 11x All Star
- Dwyane Wade (x3 NBA Champ, Finals MVP, Gold Medalist)
- Dirk Nowitzki (duh)
- Dwight Howard (DPOTY for like a lot)
- Marc Gasol (DPOTY, All NBA First Team, International, 2x Silver medalist, FIBA Winner, Spanish MVP, Spanish Champ)
- Vince Carter
- Kawhi Leonard (Champ, DPOTY, FMVP plus whatever in the future)
- Manu Ginobili (Gold Medalist, NBA Champ, FMVP and so on)
- Tony Parker
- Tim Duncan
- Kevin Garnett
- Kevin Durant
- Stephen Curry
- Chris Paul
- Paul Pierce
- Kobe Bryant

Unsure
- Joe Johnson
- Amare Stoudamire
- James Harden (Well considering)
- Anthony Davis (see what the future brings)
- LaMarucs Aldridge (see what the future brings + Portland's records)
- Russ Westbrook (future)
- Draymond Green (future)
- Blake Griffin (college helps a lot though)
- Mirza Teletovic (Spanish Champ x2)
- Tyson Chandler (Winner + DPOTY)
- Ricky Rubio (Spanish League stuff)
- Rajon Rondo

That's my guess. Several will be disagreed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Curry is obliterating teams in three quarters of basketball, and it would be pretty fair to say he would easily average another 5-6 points per game if his opponents could actually remain competitive in games.

Nothing wrong with that.

Pretty ridiculous to ignore such key stats. It's obvious to anyone that statistically this season is on track for GOAT status.

The Bulls were unbeatable though! I think someone reflects back on the 90s with heavily tinted red and black glasses and ignores a lot about that era.

It's crap because it helps three point shooters? Right. Last time I checked the three is a lot harder than the two unless it's a layup, unless I am missing something? Curry pulling up from 30 feet and draining three after three with defenders swamping him and putting up what he's putting up statistically is just as impressive easily as MJ posting up, destroying people at the basket and from mid range. That stat clearly shows that, but you'll ignore it cause it doesn't reflect nicely on the bloke you worship.

MJ isnt perfect. Nobody is.

He wasnt beatable once he'd reached the top. The Orlando series doesnt count because the Bulls werent the champions. The Houston Rockets were and Jordan was 19 games into a comeback. The Wizards obviously doesnt count as he wasnt on top, he was an old man.

Once Jordan climbed the mountain, he was never knocked off it. It's very unique. Magic was beat, Bird was beat, Isiah was knocked off. Kobe got swept, Shaq lost. Jordan though, nobody knocked him off. He had to retire twice because there was nothing left to challenge him.

The game is vastly different now to what it was in the 90's to then the 80's, the 70's and 60's. I meant that great Boston team that won 8 straight would straight up get owned by Jordans Bulls. It would be embarrassing because it was such a different time.

90's and now can be more comparable but even still the game has changed so much.

Having said all that, I grew up on MJ. I watching him win all those rings. I watched all those games. I know how good he was. In a seven game series against anyone, id never tip against any of Jordan's Bulls team because, well.... Michael Jordan.
Yawn.

eFG is important, but for the sake of it, let's drop that argument.

Steph shot better from 2 point land, 3 point land, the free throw line, had more points per minute and assists per minute. There is literally nothing Steph isn't doing better offensively. Okay MJ was better with taking care of the ball.

MJ is a God among men.
Im willing to concede that Steph could be having an all time great offensive season but as I said, while Jordan was doing that he was also winning DPOTY.

He was some player. He'd kill you at both ends.

I always loved his last 45 seconds with the Bulls. Down 3 in Game 6 of the NBA Finals. You have the ball but you NEED a bucket. If you dont score on this possession you're in real strife. Plus you need to get it quickly. You need a two for one. You need to make Utah shoot rather than just running the clock down and getting to the FT line.

So Jordan brings it up and just immediately drives to the hoop, brushed off Russell and hit a sweet floating layup over Austin off the glass. It's a tough shot but he makes it.

First part done. Hit a big shot and do it quickly. Reduce the gap to one point. Now you have to play defense as a team. Jordan knows what they are going to do. Stockton waits and waits, then dumps it to Malone in the post.

Russell runs baseline and Jordan tracks him, then stops. He knows the ball isnt going to Russell, it's going to Malone. The ball is dumped down to Malone, Jordan sneaks up and strips the two time MVP.

He steals the ball, waves off any time outs and just saunters up the court. He bleeds the clock, goes right, shrugs off Russell and cans a 15 foot dagger into the heart of Utah.

From down three to up by one. The last 45 seconds in the biggest game of the season is ALL Michael Jordan. He just get's s**t done.

I love that bloke. Freak. Kills you at both ends.

Curry is obliterating teams in three quarters of basketball, and it would be pretty fair to say he would easily average another 5-6 points per game if his opponents could actually remain competitive in games.

Pretty ridiculous to ignore such key stats. It's obvious to anyone that statistically this season is on track for GOAT status.

The Bulls were unbeatable though! I think someone reflects back on the 90s with heavily tinted red and black glasses and ignores a lot about that era.

It's crap because it helps three point shooters? Right. Last time I checked the three is a lot harder than the two unless it's a layup, unless I am missing something? Curry pulling up from 30 feet and draining three after three with defenders swamping him and putting up what he's putting up statistically is just as impressive easily as MJ posting up, destroying people at the basket and from mid range. That stat clearly shows that, but you'll ignore it cause it doesn't reflect nicely on the bloke you worship.

Yawn.
Meh, who cares really. Steph is a great player. Will win the MVP again this season and the Championship and should break the Bulls 72-10 record to boot. Great, great player.

But Jordan is Jordan. The GOAT.

But there's your problem. You could never admit someone could ever be better. Steph could average 50 a game, 10 straight season, Warriors win 75+ games a season and you would still think MJ and the Bulls are the GOAT.
Well Steph has to do that first.

Jordan was ridiculous. He's set the bar, let's see if anyone gets there. First it was Kobe, nope, then people got on LeBron, nope.

Are you now jumping on Steph?

Despite the fact he is fairly average on one end of the floor?

Well Steph has to do that first.

Jordan was ridiculous. He's set the bar, let's see if anyone gets there. First it was Kobe, nope, then people got on LeBron, nope.

Are you now jumping on Steph?

Despite the fact he is fairly average on one end of the floor?

My point was that it doesn't matter what players or teams do. No one can pass Jordan or the Bulls in your mind.

I never said that Steph was going to be better than Jordan.

Well first they gotta build a case. Not one player has built a strong enough case to consider it so it's a moot point.

You're proving my point.

Normally when someone says "If Player X scores 50ppg for 10 seasons will he be better than MJ?". People say "Yes".

Then when someone says "If Team Y with 75+ games for 10 straight seasons are they the best team ever?". People say "Yes".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back