Unpopular Port Adelaide opinion you may have

Remove this Banner Ad

Please elaborate. Teaching them a few lessons this year?

They're building as coaches

Compare Ken's first three years as coach to other successful coaches and he stacks up well. Genuinely think this year is the outlier

Voss i think is still learning his role and how to be an asisstaint coach again. Anyone with that much on field leadership and talent has lots to teach. Was out of coaching for a year altogether (recruit not included).

Sometimes an opinion can be disproved by fact. What you have stated is factually incorrect.
provide me with some facts that what i said is incorrect

By in which you need to prove to me that whilst we have both of them at the club we're never going to win a premiership

carn.

provide me with some facts that what i said is incorrect

By in which you need to prove to me that whilst we have both of them at the club we're never going to win a premiership

carn.

We've gone backwards statistically from our first 2 years. Since Voss has arrived, progression has stalled.

It's circumstantial at best maybe, but there's nothing special about anything other than Wingard in 2015.

We've gone backwards statistically from our first 2 years. Since Voss has arrived, progression has stalled.

It's circumstantial at best maybe, but there's nothing special about anything other than Wingard in 2015.

That doesn't prove that they're not improving as coaches and building as a relationship and gameday coaching team

That was a great day at the footy despite the loss. 45k and the first time it felt that we were one club.

Yes it was.

Shame the coach told the players to pack it in about 5 mins in to the 3rd and our only player to fight and scrap for a win after that was the guy it seems most of us here can't wait to see the back of at the moment.

As I posted after that, some games are more important than next week, some games define the club. For the people the club entrusted to take it forward to allow an insipid second half like that, to be over run in that guernsey, because they had an eye on next week, was not good enough, and not good enough to the sell out crowd and the Port Adelaide faithful.

Last edited:

Yep circumstantial maybe, but when arguably the 2nd or 3rd best midfield in the comp in 2014 went backwards not long after a particular bloke walked in the door, and numpties like Tony Shaw can pick holes in our clearance set ups, you really do have to wonder what the f*** has happened.

Our list is devoid of true midfield talent and way too many developing project players who are wasting list space. We are horribly over rating ourselves and this concept that 2015 is the year we had to have is deluded and missing the fact that apart from our top end our list is garbage in a way that Geelongs wasn't in 2007. The window for us is firmly shut at the moment and we're well and truly back in the pack, behind the crows, eagles, even the dogs in our chase of premierships.

They're building as coaches

Compare Ken's first three years as coach to other successful coaches and he stacks up well. Genuinely think this year is the outlier

Voss i think is still learning his role and how to be an asisstaint coach again. Anyone with that much on field leadership and talent has lots to teach. Was out of coaching for a year altogether (recruit not included).
The same argument couldve been made of Sando's career from 2012-2014.. sorry i know youre being positive but there is no reason to think that the history of past coaches in different clubs at different times translates to us at all

For what youre saying to be true and Ken and Vossy are building their relationships why then are the same holes appearing week in week out that are so clearly structural (even in games we win) as they improved isnt it logical to expect the team will as well?

Supporters get way too over the top with our prospects when we're going well, and a similar amount of over the top negativity when we're struggling.
That's not unpopular I'd say it's reality... Never as good as it seems, never as bad either

Prison Bars are overated and the constant obsession is driven by the basic human instinct of wanting what you cannot have.
Boo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Standard Players
Definite:
Boak, Travis
Broadbent, Matthew
Carlile, Alipate
Ebert, Brad (Borderline footskills)
Gray, Robbie
Hartlett, Hamish
Hombsch, Jack
Lobbe, Matthew
Polec, Jared
Ryder, Patrick
Trengove, Jackson
Westhoff, Justin
White, Matthew
Wines, Oliver
Wingard, Chad

Borderline:
Colquhoun, Sam
Impey, Jarman
Jonas, Thomas
Krakouer, Nathan
O'Shea, Cameron
Pittard, Jasper
Stewart, Paul
Young, Aaron

In decline:
Monfries, Angus
Schulz, Jay

Not AFL Standard
Butcher, John
Gray, Sam
Logan, Tom
Mitchell, Kane
Moore, Andrew
Neade, Jake

Undecided (Haven't seen them or seen enough of them)
Ah Chee, Brendon
Amon, Karl
Austin, Logan
Byrne-Jones, Darcy
Clurey, Tom
Frampton, William
Harvey, Mitchell
Howard, Dougal
Palmer, Jesse
Redden, Jarrad
Russell, Sam
Shaw, Mason
Wagner, Johann

There you go. There's bound to be something unpopular amongst that. Come at me.

AFL Standard Players
Definite:
Boak, Travis
Broadbent, Matthew
Carlile, Alipate
Ebert, Brad (Borderline footskills)
Gray, Robbie
Hartlett, Hamish
Hombsch, Jack
Lobbe, Matthew
Polec, Jared
Ryder, Patrick
Trengove, Jackson
Westhoff, Justin
White, Matthew
Wines, Oliver
Wingard, Chad

Borderline:
Colquhoun, Sam
Impey, Jarman
Jonas, Thomas
Krakouer, Nathan
O'Shea, Cameron
Pittard, Jasper
Stewart, Paul
Young, Aaron

In decline:
Monfries, Angus
Schulz, Jay

Not AFL Standard
Butcher, John
Gray, Sam
Logan, Tom
Mitchell, Kane
Moore, Andrew
Neade, Jake

Undecided (Haven't seen them or seen enough of them)
Ah Chee, Brendon
Amon, Karl
Austin, Logan
Byrne-Jones, Darcy
Clurey, Tom
Frampton, William
Harvey, Mitchell
Howard, Dougal
Palmer, Jesse
Redden, Jarrad
Russell, Sam
Shaw, Mason
Wagner, Johann

There you go. There's bound to be something unpopular amongst that. Come at me.
I think it is fair to move Clurey and Redden into the borderline area. Also Neade should be in the borderline area, he is a 3rd year kid, he is developing ok, he can't be written off yet. He will have up and down games.

I think it is fair to move Clurey and Redden into the borderline area. Also Neade should be in the borderline area, he is a 3rd year kid, he is developing ok, he can't be written off yet. He will have up and down games.
I haven't minded what I've seen of Clurey and Redden so far and hopefully they'll come good.

If Neade was six inches taller and ten kilos heavier he'd be AFL quaility. He's just too small.

I was going to post this in the GWS selection thread but it is a bit of a rant so it is probably better placed here.

My problem with this year has not been with the ups and downs of younger less experienced players. I can put up with Amon, Ah Chee, Clurey, Impey, Neade and co having downers while they gain experience. My real problem is with the likes of Ebert, Schultz, Trengove, Westhoff, Broadbent, Jonas, Monfries, and Lobbe who have not lived up to their 2014 form. None of these players were fringe players at the start of 2015 but all of these guys deserved to be dropped at some stage in 2015 but were not. When the drop did come for the likes of Broadbent, Jonas and Monfries it was weeks too late. I am not suggesting all of these players should have been axed at once but a wake up call was warranted early in the season and it never came.

The fact is we have been badly let down by a group experienced players and the thing that I find hard to take is that of those nine or so players, four of them are in the so called 'Leadership Group'. Maybe Ken needs to start next year by looking at who is dubbed a 'leader' in the club ?

There are at least three players among that gang of nine who could be and probably should be dropped next week but we all know they won't be. Who are the three? Take your pick because none of that nine have given enough over the season and strong cases are made by several other posters for either dropping them or not promoting them from the SANFL.

I guess I can get off the soap box now but geez I am disappointed in our some of our senior guys, things have happened this year that I did not think would happen on Ken Hinkley's watch. I thought we had turned a corner and those bad old days were behind us but apparently not.

The end of season review of our playing list and Coaching staff has to be thorough and uncompromising. I think Ken Hinkley is safe enough but one or two of the assistants might not be.

Jonas is worth more on our list, to see if he can recover his prior form next year.

3rd round pick at best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back