Injury Injury list Rnd 23 (latest Davoren is safe)

Remove this Banner Ad

BREAKING NEWS - Bill Davoren has been given a new title and role at Collingwood. High Injury Rate Manager.

I doubt Davoren would have 100% control over it. He would have to Report to Bucks and Eade

His role is specific to maintaining "High Performance" a la Buttifant. He may not have 100% control but he would be majority shareholder by a large margin.

Well going by this season then - SACK HIM

Do you think our injuries are any worse than the last two seasons? (Before Davoren joined)

Yes. Soft tissue and in particular, repeat injuries (regardless of whether to same side) have been poorly managed this season. Even Buckley admitted on AFL 360 that their injury profile had been poor.

My partner is a Phsyio who has experience in elite sport. Her summation of Freeman's injuries this year is that he has been overloaded. Plain and simple.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Name Injury Status
Brent Macaffer Ankle Test
Paul Seedsman Adductor Test
Alan Toovey Back Test
Nathan Freeman Hamstring 1-2 weeks
Dane Swan Foot 1-2 weeks
Taylor Adams Finger 4-6 weeks
Nathan Brown Shoulder Season
Ben Hudson Shoulder Season
Adam Oxley Ankle Season

Our problem with injury this year seems to be with players who are listed with a range of weeks. Freeman & Reid the chief offenders. Go back to the original estimates and remove the hyphen and you might have improved estimates. Apply that to above and we don't see Freeman or Swan for 12 weeks, Adams for 46 (only Collingwood could have a player out nearly a year with a finger!)

I think freeman shouldn't play this season. What's the point, reload and go again fresh next season.

As for davoren I've been a big advocate that the soft tissue injuries and new training regime are a correlation and he needs to take responsibility, especially for the ones at training. However this could be a case that with the new longer distance style program davoren has put on the club (in the port Adelaide mould) this could be a result of over training compared to what the boys are used too under buttifent. We look at Reid, swan, ball toovey, seedsman, Sinclair, oxley, maxwell. Yes. majority are older players which already increases the risk of soft tissue injuries but they are seasoned buttifent guys who have had to adapt to higher training loads which is another major risk factor. After another pre season on the back of a full training year this could be entirely different scenario next season which is why I think he'll get another year at a minimum.

There is always an exception to the rule, in this case it is Freeman, the club has not educated us enough on both his injuries, or do I know of he has had a hamstring issue to begin with in his juniors. Without this information the assumption has to be made it was mis-management by the club.

I think freeman shouldn't play this season. What's the point, reload and go again fresh next season.

As for davoren I've been a big advocate that the soft tissue injuries and new training regime are a correlation and he needs to take responsibility, especially for the ones at training. However this could be a case that with the new longer distance style program davoren has put on the club (in the port Adelaide mould) this could be a result of over training compared to what the boys are used too under buttifent. We look at Reid, swan, ball toovey, seedsman, Sinclair, oxley, maxwell. Yes. majority are older players which already increases the risk of soft tissue injuries but they are seasoned buttifent guys who have had to adapt to higher training loads which is another major risk factor. After another pre season on the back of a full training year this could be entirely different scenario next season which is why I think he'll get another year at a minimum.

There is always an exception to the rule, in this case it is Freeman, the club has not educated us enough on both his injuries, or do I know of he has had a hamstring issue to begin with in his juniors. Without this information the assumption has to be made it was mis-management by the club.
Didn't Geelong have a bout of soft tissue injuries before winning a whole bunch of premierships? That was under The Weapon though... hmm...

My point being perhaps Davoren and his team are bringing about a shift in the whole training regime which has clearly had some collateral soft tissue injuries etc. but if it leads to a long term change in greater fitness and, in turn, less injuries... just speculating.

Didn't Geelong have a bout of soft tissue injuries before winning a whole bunch of premierships? That was under The Weapon though... hmm...

My point being perhaps Davoren and his team are bringing about a shift in the whole training regime which has clearly had some collateral soft tissue injuries etc. but if it leads to a long term change in greater fitness and, in turn, less injuries... just speculating.
That was a short way of going about what I said. I agree with that notion and it is a logical and reasonable explanation that could be proved if we had the appropriate data which davoren and his team would have from the previous years.

I know right, I think this has all been very quickly glossed over by the AFL who don't want their reputation tarnished any further if it came to light that a team that won three premierships was potentially involved in doping. So naturally without any hard evidence that ASADA may have been able to get (who seriously lack the resources to launch any additionally investigations at the moment) I'm not surprised all that we've been fed from the AFL is "oh no nothing to see here" whilst sweeping everything under their huge carpet.

I know right, I think this has all been very quickly glossed over by the AFL who don't want their reputation tarnished any further if it came to light that a team that won three premierships was potentially involved in doping. So naturally without any hard evidence that ASADA may have been able to get (who seriously lack the resources to launch any additionally investigations at the moment) I'm not surprised all that we've been fed from the AFL is "oh no nothing to see here" whilst sweeping everything under their huge carpet.

Are you suggesting two of the best players in the game (Judd & Ablett) both left clubs with drug cultures?

Are you suggesting two of the best players in the game (Judd & Ablett) both left clubs with drug cultures?
yeah you can certainly bet the AFL would like us to believe this, and then they go into "undocumented" meetings and come up with all sorts of strategies to fool the masses into believing there's no drug culture problem of any kind in footy, and every year the carpet in their board room becomes just a little higher...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back