Portfolio VFA Jumpers (by West_Coast_Eagles)

Remove this Banner Ad

You guys need to do more research... found this resource for Caulfield ages ago.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/caulfieldbears/page3/

They have a pic of various Caulfield jumpers side by side.

So... anyone going to try the Brighton Penguins jumper? :)

We do our research. How did I find the Caulfield v Coburg game? The first two jumpers are what they wore in the match in the online clip.

Are these going to be put to the front of this thread? So we have a full portfolio?

Would be great as you have put some fantastic effort into these wizard. Actually im thinking of getting one or 2 custom made

North Ballarat Roosters

Port Melbourne Boroughs

Great work, awesome to look at. A couple of things I'd add would be the yoke on the North Ballarat guernsey should be lower

http://blogs.abc.net.au/.a/6a00e0097e4e6888330120a591b851970c-320wi

And (a very small one) Port Melbourne is just the 'Borough' not the 'Boroughs'

dont rate the bendigo one at all, should be like the bendigo football league one, like this
http://www.bendigofnl.com.au/Portals/43/BFNL/Football/2011_BFNL_Interleague_Photo_Senior.pdf

I love the new Bendigo one and while I don't dislike that interleague strip (blue and gold almost always look good together), I think the VFL team's guernsey is much classier.

Surely the emblem on the guernsey was not as detailed as that in the 1970s.

These pictures are from the Yarraville Website

The eagle logo was sown onto the front of the jumper.

Great work, awesome to look at. A couple of things I'd add would be the yoke on the North Ballarat guernsey should be lower

http://blogs.abc.net.au/.a/6a00e0097e4e6888330120a591b851970c-320wi

I thought it was as well, but here is the Port Melbourne website:
http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info.cgi?client=1-118-10462-0-0 , which shows they are the Boroughs.

Here is a Yarraville Eagles uniform from the 1970's.

I interpreted it like this:

Yarraville.png

Even the sample eagle shown below, it's faded from gold/yellow to what it is now. Old photos of the club show it in gold. Only thing I've done wrong on mine was leave the AFL logos of the template on there.

Yeah, but the logo officially has "Boroughs" in script. Both are equally acceptable, and in some circles I've seen "Burras" used (e.g. "Burra Burgers"!).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hello just wondering if you have that jumper

No, it is a picture from their website.

So then I think the your design is missing the black outline around the eagle on the guernsey.

I'll put the black line on.

I interpreted it like this:

Yarraville.png

Even the sample eagle shown below, it's faded from gold/yellow to what it is now. Old photos of the club show it in gold. Only thing I've done wrong on mine was leave the AFL logos of the template on there.

It would be a mighty comeback for Yarraville to demerge with Sedden, and then join the AFL.

I took the colour of the eagle to be white as the club colours where Red, Blue and White.

This is why I took the eagle to be white. With those changes I have a Yarraville uniform looking like this:

Yeah, but the logo officially has "Boroughs" in script. Both are equally acceptable, and in some circles I've seen "Burras" used (e.g. "Burra Burgers"!).
The nickname of Port Melbourne isn't clearly defined. The current script logo says Boroughs and the old logo and the merchandise page on the Port Melbourne site say Borough.

The name Borough is a reference to the old name of the council area. the Borough of Port Melbourne. I would actually go with Borough as their nickname as their is only one Borough of Port Melbourne. I think the script logo was created by a designer, and took Borough to be a creature, so a group would be stronger, so it became Boroughs.

The nickname is good because it is historical, but isn't good as it lacks the image of a creature or object. The other nickname you have seen used, Burras or Kookaburras would be a good one as it retains the Burra or Borough as a nickname, and gives the club a animal barrack for. Last year the Burras swooped up the premiership, and they laughed all the way.

Hey guys thought this link might be useful if you wanted to know more history about Yarraville. Link provided has images dating back to 1903 to present.

http://www.yseagles.com/history.htm

In 1996, Kingsville Football Club became Yarraville Tigers.The Club merged with Seddon and Yarraville Juniors in 2007 to become Yarraville Seddon Eagles

As a former player of yse i can say they have a very strong history! I have seen many of those eagles jumpers at training & the last design
Is spot on!

I thought it was as well, but here is the Port Melbourne website:
http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info.cgi?client=1-118-10462-0-0 , which shows they are the Boroughs.

Where? I can see 'Borough's Buffet Luncheon & Super Draw' in the functions list, which would suggest 'Borough' is correct. I can't see 'Boroughs' anywhere.

'Boroughs' would make no sense, as the Port Melbourne FC was named after single borough (The Borough of Port Melbourne). Port Melbourne doesn't have multiple boroughs, like New York.

Who can remember the Werribee jumper with the large W.

Ah, now this is the good s**t :thumbsu: Well done Wizard.

'Boroughs' would make no sense, as the Port Melbourne FC was named after single borough (The Borough of Port Melbourne). Port Melbourne doesn't have multiple boroughs, like New York.

If you really want an answer, why not contact the club and ask them.
The name Boroughs - plural - matches similar geographic nicknames - Souths, Norths, Wests, Hills, Vales, Oaks.

If you really want an answer, why not contact the club and ask them.
The name Boroughs - plural - matches similar geographic nicknames - Souths, Norths, Wests, Hills, Vales, Oaks.

Because I don't care enough. I've heard this clarified multiple times, that the correct name is 'Borough', regardless of whether people call them 'Boroughs' or not. Your examples don't match, because five of them don't make any sense as plural words in standard English (as 'Boroughs' does) and I don't know of any sporting club nicknamed after a single 'hill' (or multiple hills, for that matter). It would be more like Melbourne's NRL or A-League teams being referred to as the 'Storms', 'Hearts' or 'Victories'.

These jumpers are just awsome! How more in depth you going to go? So far has just been awsome!

Just wondering if doc will be able to put ur post 1st in this thread so anyone who google searches vfa jumpers is comes up!

Where? I can see 'Borough's Buffet Luncheon & Super Draw' in the functions list, which would suggest 'Borough' is correct. I can't see 'Boroughs' anywhere.

Middlesborough, Petersborough, Kookaborough (;)) Thank the English for this word.

Did you see the club logo?

Your examples don't match, because five of them don't make any sense as plural words in standard English (as 'Boroughs' does) and I don't know of any sporting club nicknamed after a single 'hill' (or multiple hills, for that matter). It would be more like Melbourne's NRL or A-League teams being referred to as the 'Storms', 'Hearts' or 'Victories'.

They're not meant to make sense as standard English words.

Go to the SANFL... North Adelaide are nicknamed "Norths", South Adelaide "Souths", West Adelaide "Wests", Central District "Centrals".
In the NRL: "Wests Tigers". South Sydney are regularly called "Souths".

Springvale were known as the Vales before taking the Scorpion mascot. Oakleigh were the Oaks before becoming the Devils. And Box Hill were informally the Hills. Local newspapers still use these shorter names from time to time. It's much the same as Essendon being the "Dons".

Remember, these nicknames don't derive from someone walking around the boundary in a foam costume. They're taken from shortened forms of the team name, from an era *before* animal/bird mascots.

And, if you don't care... why are you arguing it so much?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back