VFL VFL 2024 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Have to reward the likes of Hardie and Mannagh. Particularly when we have a few out of form.

Encouraging that Pike played well on debut. What’s his list status? Rookie?

Edit: Add Humphries to that duo.

He is eligible for the MSD. He is no immediate player but one can see someone will draft him ..either MSD or at years end.

Why cant or wont any football journalist ask Scott are those 2 close to senior selection !!!!

There are plenty of Geel supporting journalists out their FFS - like Shayne Hope and Peter Ryan , why wont they ask Scott that question

I would like those 2 to come into the senior side and Parfitt and Bruhn to go out and i think that would improve Geelongs senior team
I'd like to see one of them played at least. I don't care which one.

It's strange for Mannagh to be drafted in the second round as a 26-year-old and then left on the shelf. It suggests a disconnect between Welles/Mackie and Scott.

He played one game in the AFL and didn't look out of place. You could accuse him of being goal hungry, but he generally slots them so there are worse crimes. Some may say that Ollie H. shows the same attribute at times.

Anyway, great they tried him the midfied today. Hopefully that continues and increases.

He is eligible for the MSD. He is no immediate player but one can see someone will draft him ..either MSD or at years end.

It would be nice to 'retire' bews and take pike in the MSD. Hes not ready now but it would save us having to use a higher pick on him at years end (the way hes going he might go in the ND at years end).

It's strange for Mannagh to be drafted in the second round as a 26-year-old and then left on the shelf. It suggests a disconnect between Welles/Mackie and Scott.

He played one game in the AFL and didn't look out of place. You could accuse him of being goal hungry, but he generally slots them so there are worse crimes. Some may say that Ollie H. shows the same attribute at times.

Anyway, great they tried him the midfied today. Hopefully that continues and increases.

I can only assume they wanted mannagh to learn to be more team oriented but he has now done so so he should be in the 1s. Our midfield is one paced without danger and holmes and he can change that.

Could just be that we rate him, and see him as a required player...but not quite yet. The two year deal would play a part in that.

If we'd taken him rookie/MSD with a one year deal, there's every chance a club comes knocking with a 2 year deal promising gametime, and you could hardly critique him for taking it.

A little bit like what happened with D'Ambrosio last year would be an example. Players who have waited for their chance are particularly desperate for that opportunity.

We will need him though, even if he's not in the clubs plans this year. It's going to be a very different list next year.

Would it be that surprising if all of Touhy, Duncan, Stanley, CGuthrie, Hawkins, Rohan, & Bews all called stumps at the end of this year? Or are pushed to do so?

I'm not saying this will happen, as I expect we're going to try to stagger things, but if the player wants to go themselves then there's little we can do.

At absolute best in terms of replacements, we're bringing in a ready-made mid (that will cost picks) and a FA.

At absolute worst (not necessarily a bad thing for the future) we're bringing in picks and picks alone.

Point being, there's no realistic amount of players coming in that can replace what we're losing from a depth perspective on our list.

Guys like Hardie & Mannagh are going to go from 28/29 on the list to 21-22 just by the players we're losing.

While the likes or Knevitt, Humphries, Conway, & Neale will be jumping into the 23 full time next year in all likelihood, both through their own development, and the loss of players we're going to have.

Why cant or wont any football journalist ask Scott are those 2 close to senior selection !!!!

There are plenty of Geel supporting journalists out their FFS - like Shayne Hope and Peter Ryan , why wont they ask Scott that question

I would like those 2 to come into the senior side and Parfitt and Bruhn to go out and i think that would improve Geelongs senior team
Not bruhn he is needed.

But hardie and mannagh should be in for parfitt and tuohy (assuming we keep playing clark) straight away next week.

Not bruhn he is needed.

But hardie and mannagh should be in for parfitt and tuohy (assuming we keep playing clark) straight away next week.
Anyone in the VFL would be a better option than Touhy.

He's been charcoal for 18 months now with a game every 6 weeks tricking you into thinking he's still got it.

It's rare that we hold on for that long in terms of a player who's clearly not what he once was.

At least Hawk, Duncan, & CGuthrie have had the more dramatic fall from grace that you can't absolutely predict. Touhy's signs were clear and obvious, and we've ignored them.

Anyone in the VFL would be a better option than Touhy.

He's been charcoal for 18 months now with a game every 6 weeks tricking you into thinking he's still got it.

It's rare that we hold on for that long in terms of a player who's clearly not what he once was.

At least Hawk, Duncan, & CGuthrie have had the more dramatic fall from grace that you can't absolutely predict. Touhy's signs were clear and obvious, and we've ignored them.

Completely agree. Should have retired after last season. He’s one that should make way for youth.

I would be dropping J Henry. He has been poor last couple weeks

I agree but hes probably needed for structure (unless you bring jeka in). But tuohy isnt and should go.

I agree but hes probably needed for structure (unless you bring jeka in). But tuohy isnt and should go.
I'd play COS as long as SDK is back.

Let him settle as an interceptor without having to play on the gorilla forwards.

We did the same thing with a young Jack Henry once upon a time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be nice to 'retire' bews and take pike in the MSD. Hes not ready now but it would save us having to use a higher pick on him at years end (the way hes going he might go in the ND at years end).

He has really come since last year champs. Im not sure how you would do it , and you might argue he is a little similar to Conway ..but I agree , and I get the feeling he is a robust sort of guy. Having two big guys to develop like that ..would be fine by me.

Could just be that we rate him, and see him as a required player...but not quite yet. The two year deal would play a part in that.

If we'd taken him rookie/MSD with a one year deal, there's every chance a club comes knocking with a 2 year deal promising gametime, and you could hardly critique him for taking it.

A little bit like what happened with D'Ambrosio last year would be an example. Players who have waited for their chance are particularly desperate for that opportunity.

We will need him though, even if he's not in the clubs plans this year. It's going to be a very different list next year.

Would it be that surprising if all of Touhy, Duncan, Stanley, CGuthrie, Hawkins, Rohan, & Bews all called stumps at the end of this year? Or are pushed to do so?

I'm not saying this will happen, as I expect we're going to try to stagger things, but if the player wants to go themselves then there's little we can do.

At absolute best in terms of replacements, we're bringing in a ready-made mid (that will cost picks) and a FA.

At absolute worst (not necessarily a bad thing for the future) we're bringing in picks and picks alone.

Point being, there's no realistic amount of players coming in that can replace what we're losing from a depth perspective on our list.

Guys like Hardie & Mannagh are going to go from 28/29 on the list to 21-22 just by the players we're losing.

While the likes or Knevitt, Humphries, Conway, & Neale will be jumping into the 23 full time next year in all likelihood, both through their own development, and the loss of players we're going to have.
Correct. They are all out of contract at the end of this year (+ Danger) except Cuthrie. He and Blics are signed till end of 2025.

I personally don't think Hardie has "it"
Have to reward him really just as a reward for effort thing, but I don't expect him to be a real difference maker in any way. Very vanilla, no hurt IMO

Why is it so hard to 'find' a way?
Well he's undersized as an AFL mid, and he's not better than any small forward we have... It's not that complex really... Also he clearly had to work on some stuff with how hungry he is at goal... But you can see he really has as he's given off plenty the last few weeks that early in the year he would have had a ping at.. So he's doing what is asked and I expect to see him shortly.

Likely Gryan pushes up the ground more to fit him or even Dempsey just gets a rest and he can fill that spot.

Good win

Mannagh 3
Hardie 2
Clark 2
Pike 2

3rd on the Ladder.

Good win for sure and cant hurt having Hardie, Mannagh putting their hands up.

Go Catters
All in honesty.. I don't know what else Mannagh and Hardie can do to say PICK ME.. you have to pick players on form and who is playing well in the 2s...

SO BLOODY REWARD HARDIE AND MANNAGH FOR GOODNESS SAKE!

All in honesty.. I don't know what else Mannagh and Hardie can do to say PICK ME.. you have to pick players on form and who is playing well in the 2s...

SO BLOODY REWARD HARDIE AND MANNAGH FOR GOODNESS SAKE!
I do love an all caps sentence!

I personally don't think Hardie has "it"
Have to reward him really just as a reward for effort thing, but I don't expect him to be a real difference maker in any way. Very vanilla, no hurt IMO
Maybe.. or Maybe not... let Hardie play and find out. But you have to give a guy a minimum of 3 games to show what he can do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back