VFL vfl rd 13 vs sandy PRO saturday 1:05pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Some one said he is borderline delisted, that's what I was referring too.
How old is he? 20? Jack Ross is 23 this year and only just starting to find his footing.
Our supporters are pretty tough on our kids. just let them play and get experience.

agree

My thoughts:

Sonsie was disappointing again. I do wonder if it was because he knew he’d be a holdover player for the AFL, and it did seem like one of those days where the ball seems to go wherever you ain’t. When he got it used it well just didn’t get it enough.

Biggie was also a let down. I’m prepared to give him some leeway as Soldo back played around with his role but he was hurtling towards a recall to the seniors but was barely sighted. When he was he looked a class above.

Bauer was better than the last two weeks which was good. Competed in the air and was relatively good at ground level. Think his play back has stagnated over the last two-three weeks so I’d swing him back forward.

Bradtke is a workhorse. I think on the coverage it doesn’t show that he was for the most part double teamed. He efforts when the ball hit the deck were outstanding for a big man and he won a couple of free kicks on the back of it. His issue outside his inconsistency is that he isn’t a natural forward. In the first half especially got caught out when the wind was playing havoc with the ball. Effort levels are enough to persist for mine however.

Dow and Soldo have a great connection and it’s not coincidence him being back led Dow to probably his best game inside the contest. Seem to have more time and space than anyone else in the contest. Issue he has is that time and space isn’t available at AFL level and his disposal is poor.

Soldo was solid first game back. Thought he was solid in the ruck and had some nice follow up moments as the game went on. Thought he allowed his opponent to much room when they pushed forward however. Hopefully he got through unscathed.

I won’t say much in Greene as I rate him higher than what logic says he should be. His composure around the ground is getting better each game. If his composure in front of goal improves look out.

Love how Tresize attacks the ball and man. One instance in the third I think it was where a Sandringham player tried to sell candy and Tresize just went straight through him. Not sure he lost an aerial contest. Wait till he has a preseason.

Coulthard will make it. Will debut by end of the season injuries permitting. I’ve seen enough. Just cat like reflexes, great user and he works hard. Doesn’t get enough of it, but his impact with his possessions is massive. Rather have Coulthard get 10 than a a Ben Paton type get 30. Two times in the last quarter he worked up to the bank flank, received a bail out kick and run the ball to the forward flank for an inside 50. If he can improve his goal kicking he’s going to be extremely dangerous.

Banks continues to play well and use the ball well. Went inside the contest on a few occasions and whilst it clearly wasnt his bag, but competed none the less. The contest in the third where he put his body on the line and came off injured showed that he wasn’t soft.

Brown for mine was best on. Improved each week since coming back. Stood under the highball, linked up well, used it relatively well (a few blunders) and did his job defensively. Would like to see more body of work before a senior debut; but he’s on the right track.

Lastly Charlie Naish was okay. Outside like his brother but better physical attributes. Used the ball well in the last. Maybe a later draft pick than an early one. But has some workable traits.

My thoughts:

Sonsie was disappointing again. I do wonder if it was because he knew he’d be a holdover player for the AFL, and it did seem like one of those days where the ball seems to go wherever you ain’t. When he got it used it well just didn’t get it enough.

Biggie was also a let down. I’m prepared to give him some leeway as Soldo back played around with his role but he was hurtling towards a recall to the seniors but was barely sighted. When he was he looked a class above.

Bauer was better than the last two weeks which was good. Competed in the air and was relatively good at ground level. Think his play back has stagnated over the last two-three weeks so I’d swing him back forward.

Bradtke is a workhorse. I think on the coverage it doesn’t show that he was for the most part double teamed. He efforts when the ball hit the deck were outstanding for a big man and he won a couple of free kicks on the back of it. His issue outside his inconsistency is that he isn’t a natural forward. In the first half especially got caught out when the wind was playing havoc with the ball. Effort levels are enough to persist for mine however.

Dow and Soldo have a great connection and it’s not coincidence him being back led Dow to probably his best game inside the contest. Seem to have more time and space than anyone else in the contest. Issue he has is that time and space isn’t available at AFL level and his disposal is poor.

Soldo was solid first game back. Thought he was solid in the ruck and had some nice follow up moments as the game went on. Thought he allowed his opponent to much room when they pushed forward however. Hopefully he got through unscathed.

I won’t say much in Greene as I rate him higher than what logic says he should be. His composure around the ground is getting better each game. If his composure in front of goal improves look out.

Love how Tresize attacks the ball and man. One instance in the third I think it was where a Sandringham player tried to sell candy and Tresize just went straight through him. Not sure he lost an aerial contest. Wait till he has a preseason.

Coulthard will make it. Will debut by end of the season injuries permitting. I’ve seen enough. Just cat like reflexes, great user and he works hard. Doesn’t get enough of it, but his impact with his possessions is massive. Rather have Coulthard get 10 than a a Ben Paton type get 30. Two times in the last quarter he worked up to the bank flank, received a bail out kick and run the ball to the forward flank for an inside 50. If he can improve his goal kicking he’s going to be extremely dangerous.

Banks continues to play well and use the ball well. Went inside the contest on a few occasions and whilst it clearly wasnt his bag, but competed none the less. The contest in the third where he put his body on the line and came off injured showed that he wasn’t soft.

Brown for mine was best on. Improved each week since coming back. Stood under the highball, linked up well, used it relatively well (a few blunders) and did his job defensively. Would like to see more body of work before a senior debut; but he’s on the right track.

Lastly Charlie Naish was okay. Outside like his brother but better physical attributes. Used the ball well in the last. Maybe a later draft pick than an early one. But has some workable traits.
Pretty well nailed it champ except for Dow as I think he’s pedestrian and sloppy. I think he deserves to be on the list, but I’m not holding my breath on him. He gets inside and does a lot of work, but it’s generally lacking effectiveness. Seems like a one trick draught horse sadly.

Pretty well nailed it champ except for Dow as I think he’s pedestrian and sloppy. I think he deserves to be on the list, but I’m not holding my breath on him. He gets inside and does a lot of work, but it’s generally lacking effectiveness. Seems like a one trick draught horse sadly.

I wouldn’t disagree with that in terms of overall outlook for Dow. Think Dow falls into that category of too good for VFL not good enough for AFL.

I do like it how he doesn’t just slam it forward when he gets it inside the contest, and he finds space and time. But he doesn’t have that burst of speed to breakaway from the stoppage and his disposal is poor which nullifies a lot his good work in the contest.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he was retained for next season. Nor would I be surprised if he was delisted at the end of the season.

The conditions made the game a grind and to the boys credit they were up to the challenge. Sandy had a chance in the first quarter to put us under the pump but just couldn't nail their chances. On the flip side we managed to make the most of limited opportunities in the first to be within striking distance. In the second Sandy sent numbers back behind the ball to try and limit our ability to hit the scoreboard and for the first half of the quarter it was working as we only kicked the one goal in 15 minutes. Eventually we got reward for effort and went in 4 goals up at half time, which would prove a bridge too far for the Zebras to overhaul in the 2nd half.

Soldo - first game back and he was the dominant ruck on the ground. Reckon he only played about 66-75% TOG as he worked his way back. Will benefit from the run
Coulthard - still learning our systems & structures, but ended the day with 2.1 and could have had 4-5 with better entries coming into the F50.
Dow - feel for the kid as he has been held out for games and the VFL have had multiple byes so continuity has been an issue. Still he looked clean and composed around the contest today which set up chances for players on the outside.
Brown - 3rd game back after a long lay off and starting to show his potential. Arguably BOG alongside Banks and will quickly force his way into the AFL squad if his form continues
Trezise - yet another solid game from James. Worked really well on the outside in partnership with Brown and Banks to continually drive the ball forward. Never seems to be flustered by what's going on around him
Bradtke - ended up with 2.3 after finally getting some scoring chances in the last quarter. Did a lot of grunt work early on when up against 2 opponents and horrible delivery, wasn't aided by poor support from the likes of Nyoun when forward.
Sonsie - disappointing game from Tyler. Went missing for most of the 2nd quarter, had a bit of footy in the 3rd and then not sighted in the last. Not really sure what is going on with him this year.
Banks - been knocking on the door for 2 months, he's now banging the door down and should be getting his chance post the bye.
Bauer - not ideal conditions for a guy like Bauer who likes to fly for marks as the delivery into both forward lines was a nightmare. Solid enough without standing out
Nyuon - really poor game for the second week in a row. Looked very timid in the ruck against Campbell and didn't offer much up forward either, which is disappointing after having 9 shots on goal 2 weeks ago.
Green - didn't get the opportunity to hit the scoreboard like he has the previous couple of weeks, which again comes back to the horrible delivery into the F50.

Oh trust me, I'm owning it. When did I deny it?

Don't care if it hurts your feelings.
Nothing to do with hurting my feelings and everything to do with you making an uncalled for comment because the boundary umpire is a woman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My thoughts:

Great post, nice and positive without being over critical.

Biggy is really playing for his career now. I thought he was very poor today.

Coulthard very skinny, but runs hard and uses the ball very well. After a preseason in the gym, I reckon he'll play a fair few games next year.

Looks like he has a decent frame on him. Like you said could put on some size and be a real weapon.

Can still be cut and probably will be
Laughable, he’s in the emergencies for tonight’s game which is most likely why we didn’t see him from half way thru the 3rd.

Bloke is out of form, no doubt, but to say the club will cut a contracted player who has shown as much talent as sonsie has is beyond ridiculous.

Kid is 20, and is dealing with playing against men and form issues, let’s give him time to sort it out. I for one, want this kid on our list, his upside is enormous

Both tresize and Coulthard will benefit from a pre season , JT had some qty possies that showed me he’s a thinker , both good pick ups , don’t you worry about that
agree that both Tresize and Matty C are both great pick ups…very smart footballers

If Coulthard continues to play consistently well, he may get a gig in the seniors soon

…am looking forward to seeing how Bradtke develops…reckon he will make it…needs to improve his fitness though

My thoughts:

Brilliant summary as usual RJ.

A few thoughts....

Sandy are not much good so the whole performance has to be seen in that context. However, it did give us a chance to see what our players could do when not under continual pressure with our midfield getting slaughtered.

I hate selling out on our players, but I am starting to get there with Dow. Finds time and space as you say, but too often running backwards and sideways. I guess there are ways that can work with players like D Rioli, Short or Ralphsmith coming from behind you, but he definitely needs to find a bit more in his game Dow.

Soldo was great considering it is his second game of footy for the whole season and he was up against Saints version of Soldo, Tom Campbell. I would definitely feel comfortable with Soldo staying on our list.

Bradtke I was really happy with for all the reasons you mentioned. Morris has been saying lately they would like to see him fight a bit harder on the ground after marking contests, and he did that really well today. Really good game on a very difficult day for key forwards and often against an experienced opponent in Cordy. The big pack mark was a nice highlight.

Coulthard. Not sure how he will go fighting through all the things you need to make it at AFL level, but where has he been hiding? He is just a very smart, alert and skilled footballer. Everything from the way he mans the mark to the way he uses the ball tells you he is switched right on in the game. Also always seems to be always running to the next place he needs to be before others do, and this should translate well to the higher level. His size is the thing you worry about slightly at AFL level, but as we know, some of these Mosquito sized players can make it. Looks a fantastic piece of recruiting.

Tresize, same as everyone else, looks the part both in the contest and in transition. His tackling you would think would help his game translate brilliantly to AFL level. Having a bit of size at 188cm is no tragedy either.

Sonsie. Clearly below the levels he displayed last year but I am not concerned. He should work through it and he has some good weaponry with his ball use and reading of the play. He should get there.

Banks. Just seems to get better and better. I am not concerned about them holding him back, he looks a natural winger and as you say that contest where he got hurt displayed plenty of courage.

Brown. Needs to keep building his game but you can see the talent there. Just wants that long run of games where he starts to really sharpen up the odd little decision making or execution errors as that is going to be the key to his game it seems. Is definitely only around the 186cm he is listed at.

Green looks a tidy little player for now but not above this level. But he has until the end of next year before we need to worry about where he is going, just keep developing and improving kid and there are some clear things to work on. He may ultimately lack the size or tricks to make AFL level but at this stage we can see him improving as the season progresses and this is the main thing you want to see.

Best of the VFL guys:

El Nour fought back from a ragged start and looked better the longer it went, good sign from him as he is clearly playing under some difficulties.

Olden, really good tough smart little player who we clearly missed last week. Looked a terrific game from him.

Street another I thought got better the longer it went and he seemed to be constantly going forward or finding a player who could.

Johnson really busy on his wing, in great form.

Lefau, the good things he does really catch the eye, big tackles or chase downs, big contest wins. Doing amazingly well off an ACL.

Brindley, I love watching this guy play, he adds more than you think getting little hands into the ruck contests etc, can run all day without tiring and takes a great grab. I half expected him to get snapped up in the MSD but bonus for us if we get to keep him in our VFL team.

Brilliant summary as usual RJ.

A few thoughts....

Sandy are not much good so the whole performance has to be seen in that context. However, it did give us a chance to see what our players could do when not under continual pressure with our midfield getting slaughtered.

I hate selling out on our players, but I am starting to get there with Dow. Finds time and space as you say, but too often running backwards and sideways. I guess there are ways that can work with players like D Rioli, Short or Ralphsmith coming from behind you, but he definitely needs to find a bit more in his game Dow.

Soldo was great considering it is his second game of footy for the whole season and he was up against Saints version of Soldo, Tom Campbell. I would definitely feel comfortable with Soldo staying on our list.

Bradtke I was really happy with for all the reasons you mentioned. Morris has been saying lately they would like to see him fight a bit harder on the ground after marking contests, and he did that really well today. Really good game on a very difficult day for key forwards and often against an experienced opponent in Cordy. The big pack mark was a nice highlight.

Coulthard. Not sure how he will go fighting through all the things you need to make it at AFL level, but where has he been hiding? He is just a very smart, alert and skilled footballer. Everything from the way he mans the mark to the way he uses the ball tells you he is switched right on in the game. His size is the thing you worry about slightly at AFL level, but as we know, some of these Mosquito sized players can make it. Looks a fantastic piece of recruiting.

Tresize, same as everyone else, looks the part both in the contest and in transition. His tackling you would think would help his game translate brilliantly to AFL level. Having a bit of size at 188cm is no tragedy either.

Sonsie. Clearly below the levels he displayed last year but I am not concerned. He should work through it and he has some good weaponry with his ball use and reading of the play. He should get there.

Banks. Just seems to get better and better. I am not concerned about them holding him back, he looks a natural winger and as you say that contest where he got hurt displayed plenty of courage.

Brown. Needs to keep building his game but you can see the talent there. Just wants that long run of games where he starts to really sharpen up the odd little decision making or execution errors as that is going to be the key to his game it seems. Is definitely only around the 186cm he is listed at.

Green looks a tidy little player for now but not above this level. But he has until the end of next year before we need to worry about where he is going, just keep developing and improving kid and there are some clear things to work on. He may ultimately lack the size or tricks to make AFL level but at this stage we can see him improving as the season progresses and this is the main thing you want to see.

Best of the VFL guys:

El Nour fought back from a ragged start and looked better the longer it went, good sign from him as he is clearly playing under some difficulties.

Olden, really good tough smart little player who we clearly missed last week. Looked a terrific game from him.

Street another I thought got better the longer it went and he seemed to be constantly going forward or finding a player who could.

Johnson really busy on his wing, in great form.

Lefau, the good things he does really catch the eye, big tackles or chase downs, big contest wins. Doing amazingly well off an ACL.

Brindley, I love watching this guy play, he adds more than you think getting little hands into the ruck contests etc, can run all day without tiring and takes a great grab. I half expected him to get snapped up in the MSD but bonus for us if we get to keep him in our VFL team.
Bradkie only showed anything after we got on top, prior to that his was outmarked or beaten to the ball on numerous occasions thus curtailing our forward thrusts. No where near it at this stage. Would otherwise agree with your assessments

Remove this Banner Ad

Back