2nds VFL Round 15 - Geelong v Box Hill, Simonds Stadium, 1:00PM Saturday 7 July (live ABC1 TV)

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope Meto doesn't see this thread :)

We are exposed for height down back. That's ok. Most teams are missing balance somewhere.
The Pies don't have a lot down back. Nor do the Hawks. The Blues and Eagles are struggling up forward.

Making the 8 year after year will come down to experience, confidence, ball use in tight. (As much as I hate it).
And of course, game plan and run.

I only got to watch the 2nd half of today's game, but it was really enjoyable, thought the boys moved the ball with real precision and surety in the last quarter particularly.

Thought McLean was very good (again, only saw the 2nd half, might have had a shocker in the first half for all I know), and Stephenson was probably the difference, looks extremely capable and assured at VFL level.
Still reckon he has had his card stamped a little early by the fans, I reckon he steadily improved over his 6 games, with his game against the Bulldogs probably his best effort.

Walker didn't do a lot in the 2nd half, kicked a couple of nice goals though and is certainly a specimen physically - his endurance at elite level will be his biggest obstacle in making it to the AFL.

Gillies did some really nice things in the 2nd half, looked clean and confident and his disposal was sharp.

I liked Schroder's game too, did well in traffic on a couple of occasions and showed reasonably good vision.
Jed Bews also did a few nice things.

I only got to watch the 2nd half of today's game, but it was really enjoyable, thought the boys moved the ball with real precision and surety in the last quarter particularly.

Thought McLean was very good (again, only saw the 2nd half, might have had a shocker in the first half for all I know), and Stephenson was probably the difference, looks extremely capable and assured at VFL level.
Still reckon he has had his card stamped a little early by the fans, I reckon he steadily improved over his 6 games, with his game against the Bulldogs probably his best effort.

Walker didn't do a lot in the 2nd half, kicked a couple of nice goals though and is certainly a specimen physically - his endurance at elite level will be his biggest obstacle in making it to the AFL.

Gillies did some really nice things in the 2nd half, looked clean and confident and his disposal was sharp.

I liked Schroder's game too, did well in traffic on a couple of occasions and showed reasonably good vision.
Jed Bews also did a few nice things.

Walker's endurance is one of his real strengths. For a big guy he did well over the pre-season in a cycling climb up one of the alpine mountains (Mt Bullar?) beating everyone up. He has a massive tank.

startled to hear people speak of his lack of fitness because to me, watching that game yesterday..he worked himself into the ground not only playing forward but he was also down back and then played ruck while Orren rested.
He just ran the whole day and it was indicative the ball landed in his arms when the final siren sounded.

David Rhyce-Jones had not seen a lot of Geelong but was very impressed with Walker. He said he has a very bright future ahead of him and David would be a fairly good judge as he does special comments for VFL every single week.

The guy knows talent when he sees it :thumbsu:

Photos up at the usual place. Thought Bews, Gillies and Bathie didn't have the greatest games. Walker, Burbs and McLean all look capable of AFL next season. Photos are up at the usual place.

startled to hear people speak of his lack of fitness because to me, watching that game yesterday..he worked himself into the ground not only playing forward but he was also down back and then played ruck while Orren rested.
He just ran the whole day and it was indicative the ball landed in his arms when the final siren sounded.

David Rhyce-Jones had not seen a lot of Geelong but was very impressed with Walker. He said he has a very bright future ahead of him and David would be a fairly good judge as he does special comments for VFL every single week.

Popped over to the Hawthorn board and several of their posters were impressed with Walker too, and according to the Sporting Pulse website, he was BOG for us.

Guess some people are just very hard markers.

Geez, if you can't be impressed by that performance by a 19 year old KPP, I'm not sure what it would take.

That was the first time I've seen him and he has exceeded my expectations by a long way. Has great hands and presence and even a bit of an arrogant strut about him. Huge future!

Must admit this is the best display of umpiring I've seen in a while. Hardly noticed them, which means they're doing their job properly.

Has Walker been playing on Gilham all game too? Fair effort to bag four goals against an AFL premiership defender if he has.

It was, however Gilham is only that because he got to play on Lonergan in a Grand Final (who isn't a forward, as we found out). Like the look of Walker though, plenty of promise there.

I am not so confident. The main difference between Scarlett and Gillies (and there are many) is that Scarlett can win a marking contest.

And that Scarlett has had about 10 years' extra experience. And that Scarlett was given plenty of games at senior level to develop.

The single dumbest thing to occur with Gillies was comparing him to Scarlett, and then acting like he has to be his replacement. Why? Let him become a solid senior player first. Why does he need to be a key defender anyway? No one minds having Mackie who falls over in every contest and is poor in one-on-one contests.

Gillies looked very good in the second half. Has speed and excellent vision when he's using his handballing. Nice kicking at the end too.

If you cut every footballer off at 10-20 games' experience (like Gillies) we wouldn't have Scarlett, Hawkins, Lonergan, Bartel, Kelly and plenty of others. He is not a lost cause.

As somebody else said, Walker is one of the fittest at the club and smashed it in pre season. Our forward line definitely looks set for the future - would expect Wells to go for backline and midfield in the draft this year.

Geez, if you can't be impressed by that performance by a 19 year old KPP, I'm not sure what it would take.

That was the first time I've seen him and he has exceeded my expectations by a long way. Has great hands and presence and even a bit of an arrogant strut about him. Huge future!

I think at years end we need to look at Pods future. We have a few young tall forwards who will need to be given time to develop in the seniors. I wonder whether keeping Pods may stymie their development? Walker definitely needs to be elevated. With Brown, Kersten and Hawkins we have a nice group of young tall forwards now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Phil Cleary comments every week on the VFL as well and he is a halfwit.... Potentially can't read much into anyone on that coverages comments.. :D

Lets hope Walker makes it.... My gut feel is he would want to get a crack before this years out or could be in trouble, as is a rookie i don't think they tend to hand onto them for too long without elevating them? I could be wrong as well... As a young forward if he can develop on the rookie list thats not a bad thing at all, salary cap and list management wise.

Lets hope Walker makes it.... My gut feel is he would want to get a crack before this years out or could be in trouble, as is a rookie i don't think they tend to hand onto them for too long without elevating them? I could be wrong as well... As a young forward if he can develop on the rookie list thats not a bad thing at all, salary cap and list management wise.

Elevate ASAP........... IMO

I hope Meto doesn't see this thread :)

We are exposed for height down back. That's ok. Most teams are missing balance somewhere.
The Pies don't have a lot down back. Nor do the Hawks. The Blues and Eagles are struggling up forward.

Making the 8 year after year will come down to experience, confidence, ball use in tight. (As much as I hate it).
And of course, game plan and run.

Ha yep if Meto had his way no one under 190 would make the 22 :D

We're not exposed yet for height, in fact we have three good tall defenders which is more than most sides have. It's just we would be exposed if we had an injury, and more importantly we just need to get some future options coming through there. Maybe they have realised that and it's partly why Brown has gone back lately.

I do agree though, making the 8 will come down to the areas you suggest, and our ability to address our midfield and spread more than any tall defender stuff.

Phil Cleary comments every week on the VFL as well and he is a halfwit.... Potentially can't read much into anyone on that coverages comments.. :D

Don't think Walker would be in any trouble, fairly certain to be elevated at the end of the year you would think.

Lets hope Walker makes it.... My gut feel is he would want to get a crack before this years out or could be in trouble, as is a rookie i don't think they tend to hand onto them for too long without elevating them?

they promoted ben johnson a couple years back so i think walker is pretty safe to be promoted.

In terms of defenders I definitely wouldn't be surprised to see either Brown or Walker become long-term backmen. Walker's a really handy size and showed good agility too. Anybody that wasn't impressed with him today has rocks in their head. That's not to say he's going to come into the AFL team and make a difference this year but he's definitely got talent. I'd elevate him and try to get a game or 2 into him by the end of the year. Give him 2-3 years on the list and I'd be very surprised if he doesn't become a solid AFL player at least.

Hope the cats can tie Walker up to a long term contract. Bulldogs, Suns, Giants and Power have all enquired of his willingness to leave for more opportunity. Smells a bit like a Mumford situation coming up.

Might be 2002 all over again, the next crop of players coming through the VFL , winning premierships there and then on to glory at AFL level.

yep he did, didnt do much as he is a rake.

should be on iview if you want to try to catch him.
checked IVEW but no vfl appears under search.. any clues?

GO Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back