2nds VFL Round 18 - Geelong v Bendigo, Simonds Stadium, 10:00AM Saturday 28 July (curtain raiser)

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.gfc.com.au/geelongnews/newsarticle/tabid/3933/newsid/142511/default.aspx

GEELONG fans who arrive at Simonds Stadium early on Saturday will get the chance to see two players from contrasting backgrounds make their VFL debuts.

Rookie-listed former professional runner Mark Blicavs and potential father-son recruit Jordon Bourke are both set to run out for the Cats' reserves in their game against Bendigo, which will be played prior to the much-anticipated Geelong versus Adelaide AFL clash.

Those going early to watch the curtain raiser get the chance to see Mark Blicavs and potential father/son Jordan Bourke in action.

I'm looking forward to seeing what both of those boys have to offer.

Jesse Stringer will also play after serving his suspension.

Interesting Blicavs will be making his VFL debut on the same weekend the Olympics which he was trying so hard to make the team for start in London.
It looks as though his Olympic aspirations are off the agenda.

I'm keen to get a glimpse of what type of player he may become, if there's anything to work with.

We won't be expecting too much, but looking on with interest nonetheless.

Big game for us, Bendigo are only 1 game and % behind our 4th spot, as are Box Hill, so a win here will go a long way to us finishing top 4 and the double chance.

Looking forward to seeing Bourke play, will try and get down early from Melb to have a good look.

It looks as though his Olympic aspirations are off the agenda.

I'm keen to get a glimpse of what type of player he may become, if there's anything to work with.

We won't be expecting too much, but looking on with interest nonetheless.

It'll be interesting to see what positions they try him in.Maybe start him up forward for the first game or two before giving him a run in defence or even as a mobile ruckman.

Im thinking they will do the same as they did with Bathie in that he will play a small amount of game time and probably in defence so he can learn to follow a player around who will lead him to the pill. Good luck to him. Apparently he is on Troys Boys tomorrow on website so looks like we are giving him plenty of Love!!​

If we can win this one - with all the youngsters out of the team in the seniors - it would really set us up for a good VFL finals campaign. Stringer being back will add to the midfield you would think.

Don't see the 2 newbies doing much but will be good to hear a report anyway.

If we can win this one - with all the youngsters out of the team in the seniors - it would really set us up for a good VFL finals campaign. Stringer being back will add to the midfield you would think.

Don't see the 2 newbies doing much but will be good to hear a report anyway.

Jordon Bourke will wear no.71
Jake Stringer will play for Bendigo

I'll be tweeting when I can from the ground @VFLCatsPhotos (solely footy account)

Jordon Bourke will wear no.71
Jake Stringer will play for Bendigo

I'll be tweeting when I can from the ground @VFLCatsPhotos (solely footy account)

Thanks mate.

Looking forward to seeing both play.

B : Bathie Gillies Bews
HB : Eardley McLean Murdoch
C : Stringer T.Selwood Byrnes
HF : Burbury Brown Simpkin
F : Schroder Podsiadly McCarthy
Foll : Stephenson Horlin-Smith Hogan
Inter : Tutungi,Simpson,Blicavs,Kersten,Hollmer
Gleeson,Hamling,Barham,Bourke*

That team would beat GWS.

I understand we've got a lot of afl listed players coming back, plus two newies this week (Blicavs and Bourke) but if we can't find a spot for Corrigan after how well he's played this year that's damn unfair and highlights just how good the depth of the vfl squad is (I'd have him in regardless).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree PO.. that side is missing Corrigan, Condy, Maas, Raidme, Shannahan, Holden and Capra who ALL look capable at VFL level. Herbison, Bell-Warren and Heater Brown haven't even debutted yet but all 3 can play! The strongest VFL list we've had since maybe 2002

Noticed on the GFC website Hamling is sizing up very nicely, will be interesting to see how he's progressed, they claim he's added 7kilos since being drafted.

I'll be a bit surprised if Stringer doesn't rip the game apart.

Who is Jake Stringer ?

Probably one of the hottest prospects this years draft but badly broke his leg last season about mid way through.
Guess clubs will be watching closely to determine his draftability after a his career threatening injury.
Hope Raptor gives a report on his game as I know the Cats are interested.

I understand we've got a lot of afl listed players coming back, plus two newies this week (Blicavs and Bourke) but if we can't find a spot for Corrigan after how well he's played this year that's damn unfair and highlights just how good the depth of the vfl squad is (I'd have him in regardless).

I would not have any non AFL listed player ahead of an AFL listed player personally. Unlisted players should never stand in the way of the development of AFL players like Kersten or Hamling, who are warming the bench. I would see it as unfair if young AFL players missed out on an opportunity to play.

P.O. Just to make it clear. I am not suggesting that you were suggesting that Corrigan should be ahead of AFL listed players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back