2nds VFL Round 18 - Geelong v Bendigo, Simonds Stadium, 10:00AM Saturday 28 July (curtain raiser)

Remove this Banner Ad

Only seen second half. Bourke was good. Stephenson dominated the taps. Brown marked everything near him. Pods went off my e end of third??? But did show a bit. Byrnes was solid. Kicked a nice goal.

What a conundrum.

A club thats had so much success at the end of its cycle should be expected to be in a poor state for replacements yet we have the problem of fitting all our young talent in to the side to give them enough of a go. Brown really should be playing but he may just have to wait ..like West

That's not a bad thing. Hawthorn all through the '80s brought guys in after years of reserves football, hence they were seasoned and more ready when they became senior regulars. West showed last year and is showing this year it hasn't hurt him, and I don't think it'll hurt Brown either.

There's great competition for spots now too, which is even better.

The photos are up at http://www.facebook.com/ArjOnlineImages

1) Brown. Natural replacement for Scarlett. Reads the play well, using his body well and has fantastic skills by foot. Entrusted with the kick ins and doesn't let the team down.
6) McCarthy. Getting back to his best. Very busy up forward, throwing himself into contests and putting his body on the line. Will be a quality player. Good burst speed.
15) Schroder. Busy game through the half forward / midfield roles. As Chappy becomes permanent forward, could be looked at. Tough as they come.
17) Byrnes. Great game up forward. Showed good leadership and good as a marking option. Rediscovered some form.
21) Murdoch. Was BOG at half time. His run and carry, and willingness to take on the opposition at all costs means he'll be a regular AFL player next year with Smedts up forward.
23) Stephenson. Sole ruckman who competed well and did enough. Quieter around the ground than previous weeks.
24) Bews. Getting back into some form. Was very damaging from the half back line. Lot of run and carry and set up role.
25) Gillies. Best game he's played for the club IMO. Was given the key back role for a change, and did well. Normally drops his head if things don't go his way early, he showed 2nd, 3rd and 4th efforts.
31) Podsiadly. Still a while off an AFL game. Spent much of the first half on the angry pills and didn't dominate until outside of an impressive second quarter playing on kids. Good hands though.
33) Horlin-Smith. Quieter game by his standards through the midfield, but still proved a key player in maintaining Geelong's dominance early. At his best in an attacking role.
34) Hogan. Usual display. In and under when it mattered and good in links.
37) Eardley. Love the way he plays. Gives up height, but makes it up for in ferocity. A number if buce aerial challenges.
39) Kersten. Took until the second half to work into the game, but in the first half still added tremendous pressure. Great at the contest but caught up in the shuffle at times.
41) Stringer. Good return to the club. Tough at the contest and had a few telling possessions but not back to his AFL levels just yet.
43) Burbury. Has taken his game to another level this year and will make his AFL debut next year. Great utility who can play tall or short, good option in attack.
45) Hamling. Switched back to a defensive role and shone. Vertical leap is very eye catching. Very slight, but hard at it.
46) Simpkin. Great key player in the midfield, used a lot on the outside and sets up a number of clearances.
47) Bathie. Close to the best game I've seen him play. Played on a smaller opponent and switch hit in the ruck at times. Has come along in leaps and bounds. Becoming reliable mark and kick.
48) Blicavs. Took into the second half to find his feet. Had a few chances for goal early but lost his feet. Had a number of nice pressure acts and tackles. Great athleticism.
50) Gleeson. Class act up forward, good shut down speed and ensures the ball gets locked in up forward.
54) McLean. Keeps getting better. If he was 8 years younger, would be a second round pick. Still plenty to offer. Reads the play better than most AFL players of greater experience.
71) Bourke. Had to put up with the modern day's Craig Kelly, but maintained his cool. Used in a Kersten role. Has got great hands and a good motor. Definitely worth pursuing.

McCarthy. Getting back to his best. Very busy up forward, throwing himself into contests and putting his body on the line. Will be a quality player. Good burst speed.

Is McCarthy suited to a role on the ball or is he more a forward pocket type player?
From what I have seen of him so far he lacks the tank for on-ball work. He did not appear to be fully fit in his debut game either. But I have no doubts about his talent.

Geelong Cats

Goal Kickers: S. Kersten 3, G. Burbury 2, J. Bourke 2, S. Byrnes 2, L. McCarthy , J. Podsiadly , J. Schroder , T. Selwood , J. Simpkin , D. Gleeson , M. Brown , O. Stephenson , J. STRINGER
Best Players: J. Schroder, M. Brown, T. Gillies, A. McLean, R. Bathie, S. Byrnes

Bendigo

Goal Kickers: S. Stroobants , J. Maddern , J. Thompson , M. Ross , A. Steinberg , S. Vale , M. Little
Best Players: B. Lee, S. Stroobants, S. Lonergan, B. Collins, T. Pears, J. Stringer

Apparently Jake Stringer was among the best for Bendigo.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/round_info.cgi?a=MATCH&fixture=123661716&c=1-118-0-204557-0&pool=1

Stephenson, T.Selwood, Gleeson, McLean, Simpkin, Hogan, Byrnes.

I think pretty clearly having a VFL core like that (recruiting O and Gleeson, and having them all fit and playing as opposed to last year when a few of them were out for extended periods) is the real reason the VFL side has picked up this year and we shouldn't get too carried away with linking the improved performances of the VFL side to that of the young players. Those players listed above have little prospects as far as the AFL team is concerned.

Obviously we have been able to unearth Stringer, Murdoch, Walker and Sheringham to come into the side and play a role this year when opportunities have opened up but genuine competition for spots is a stretch for mine when none of these guys are currently at the level to push senior players out as Christensen/Duncan/Menzel did last year.

Cheers. I wrote Selwoods first as captain, must have forgotten to include when i copied. hard as it comes, head over the ball, great composure and a great link player. has taken over the in and under role we were trying for simpkin at the start of the year and is almost a clone of joel with how he plays.

mccarthy is getting tired from a long season, but short term is a better pocket rocket

Cheers. I wrote Selwoods first as captain, must have forgotten to include when i copied. hard as it comes, head over the ball, great composure and a great link player. has taken over the in and under role we were trying for simpkin at the start of the year and is almost a clone of joel with how he plays.

mccarthy is getting tired from a long season, but short term is a better pocket rocket

Do you think T. Selwood is a chance for the senior list in the future?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No. I think he was disappointed how it ended at Brisbane, but just seeing how he goes about things, etc., he seems content with the coach/ player role

Stroobants. What kind of a name is that?

Geelong Cats 2.5 5.8 12.9 18.12 (120)
Bendigo 1.5 3.8 5.10 7.11 (53)

GOALS:
Geelong Cats: Kersten 3 Byrnes 2 Bourke 2 Burbury 2 McCarthy Stephenson Brown Gleeson Simpkin Selwood Schroder Podsiadly STRINGER
Bendigo: Stroobants Maddern Thompson Ross Steinberg Vale Little

BEST:
Geelong Cats: Schroder Brown Gillies McLean Bathie Byrnes
Bendigo: Lee Stroobants Lonergan Collins Pears Stringer

With Corey out for a couple of weeks I wouldn't be surprised to see Schroder given an oppourtunity. I've only seen 3 or so VFL games this year but his contested work looks exceptional. Just amazingly hard at it and also knows how to get into dangerous spaces going forward from midfield a bit like Duncan does.

Scarlett back in and Corey out. But that leaves us a mid short - so rest Motlop, who seems to need freshing up for the finals ahead - and take Schroder and play him forward pocket and some times on the ball.

I bet this does not happen - butI too love his hard at approach. Just can't buy that.

Good question SJ was thinking the same thing considering they have just come from the bye as well.

It is interesting. You'll probably find they'll hold some players over this week, and presumably one of the two rucks (given the vfl boys play sunday and the seniors then play interstate 5 days late) so teams this week won't actually give us a clue as to whether Daws is injured or not. I hope not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back