2nds VFL Round 20 vs Richmond (Sun 26th, 1pm @ Punt Road Oval)

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely it's now time to pick the best possible side for the VFL and pick whoever is left for the AFL side? Apart from the fact that it's Gia's farewell game nobdoy (except Carlton) gives a s**t about the result of the last H&A game of the year.
A VFL flag however would be worth pursuing at this late stage of the year, and it's for the long term benefit of the club (finals experience, big game pressure, winning trophies together, bragging rights, etc). For a decent opportunity to get to the GF we need to secure a win in the first QF.

I agree, apart from the obvious calls to hang the coach if we lose to GWS, I couldn't give a packet of crisps about the outcome. We even remain below Carlton on the ladder for a slightly better pick as a bonus.
There is much excitement about the fortunes of our VFL team in this forum so I say we continue the euphoria and do everything in our power to win the cup. We supporters are so flat and depressed at the present any ray of light is a good thing.

I agree, apart from the obvious calls to hang the coach if we lose to GWS, I couldn't give a packet of crisps about the outcome. We even remain below Carlton on the ladder for a slightly better pick as a bonus.
There is much excitement about the fortunes of our VFL team in this forum so I say we continue the euphoria and do everything in our power to win the cup. We supporters are so flat and depressed at the present any ray of light is a good thing.
Mind you, I am certainly not advocating 'tanking', I would rather describe it as 'maximising the available resources to the mutual benefit of the majority of stakeholders'.

Mind you, I am certainly not advocating 'tanking', I would rather describe it as 'maximising the available resources to the mutual benefit of the majority of stakeholders'.
The siren song of the Dark Side ...

You are a "Yes Minister "fan ?
Indeed I am sir. I looked up what Sir Humphrey Appleby had to say about tanking and he almost hit the nail on the head when he stated: "You can't put the nation's interest at risk just because of some silly sentimentality about justice."
We know what he meant.

I see Lower's arm in a sling, any word on the extent of his injury?

Also, maybe I've just missed it, but what's happened to Marko? Injured I assume but he was named Captain of the team right? Haven't seen him on the team sheet for while now...

Not only did Fletch kick an amazing goal after the siren, he took a ripper mark with a wet ball in a massive pack.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2014-08-25/vfl-footscray-top-tigers-after-siren

Last 2 mins of play.

How good is that......I loved the fact that the players were genuinely excited.....how excited was Honeychurch and too see Jones and I think Redpath on the ground afterwards is a great sign that this means something to the players.

Did I see Lower with arm in sling? Big loss if he's out.

I compare Fletcher to a photo. If he does not receive the proper exposure he could turn out under-developed!

Him and Talia I think will form a good partnership for the AFL team in time. I don't mind them developing at the level, but good form should be rewarded and so Fletch should get a call up this week. He's been playing good footy for a while now.

Him and Talia I think will form a good partnership for the AFL team in time. I don't mind them developing at the level, but good form should be rewarded and so Fletch should get a call up this week. He's been playing good footy for a while now.

And take him out of the VFL home final he has helped earn the team? I'm not sure about that to be honest...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No bloody way.

These blokes have been left in the VFL all season to develop. They've done the hard yards to get the VFL side into a top-two finish.

They deserve to be part of the finals series that ensues, there is nothing to gain from a solitary AFL game in junk time against GWS, they'll take a hell of a lot more out of a finals match.

At the very least - it should be their call which game they'd prefer to play.

I see Lower's arm in a sling, any word on the extent of his injury?

Also, maybe I've just missed it, but what's happened to Marko? Injured I assume but he was named Captain of the team right? Haven't seen him on the team sheet for while now...

Marko has actually been playing for South Croydon in Div 1 of the EFL. I'm assuming its got something to do with us developing our key backs in the team ahead of him and there's no real spot. Still a bit odd considering he was captain.

No bloody way.

These blokes have been left in the VFL all season to develop. They've done the hard yards to get the VFL side into a top-two finish.

They deserve to be part of the finals series that ensues, there is nothing to gain from a solitary AFL game in junk time against GWS, they'll take a hell of a lot more out of a finals match.

At the very least - it should be their call which game they'd prefer to play.

lol....yes I know what you mean. But Roberts would prefer to play senior AFL footy. I don't agree he would get nothing out of it. Playing another game will help him develop surely?

I want Footscray to do well in the finals. I will be there barracking very hard, but it's still the seconds and the main aim is to develop players for senior footy, that still has to be the priority. After this week the Footscray team will be our total focus.

Just watched the footage - Fletch's pack mark, the siren going as he walks back on his line... goosebumps.

What an extraordinary way to get the win and secure a home final.

Marko has actually been playing for South Croydon in Div 1 of the EFL. I'm assuming its got something to do with us developing our key backs in the team ahead of him and there's no real spot. Still a bit odd considering he was captain.

He looked a bit unfit last time I saw him, even early in the season. I reckon he became pure back up and in the end we didn't need him. I would be surprised if he played next year or if he does maybe it will be a role similar to how it's worked out now.

lol....yes I know what you mean. But Roberts would prefer to play senior AFL footy. I don't agree he would get nothing out of it. Playing another game will help him develop surely?

I want Footscray to do well in the finals. I will be there barracking very hard, but it's still the seconds and the main aim is to develop players for senior footy, that still has to be the priority. After this week the Footscray team will be our total focus.

Mmmm...any other week, I'd agree.

But as I said, he's been (clearly) told he is in the VFL side most of this year to develop his game. He's done so with aplomb, and ensured a home final off his own boot in a situation most players only dream about.

It's an interesting dilemma. As others have mentioned - we win the AFL game, we likely overtake Carlton. Not a lot to gain this week AFL-wise.

How good is that......I loved the fact that the players were genuinely excited.....how excited was Honeychurch and too see Jones and I think Redpath on the ground afterwards is a great sign that this means something to the players.

Did I see Lower with arm in sling? Big loss if he's out.
Yeah the genuine excitement from the boys is great to see. It actually means something to them. Think if we'd used the same methods of developing players (like the talls playing mostly VFL) if we still had the alignment with Willy we'd have a few guys asking for a trade at the end of the year. But these guys winning a flag together would be ******* massive, allowing them to keep chipping away at their games, building great bonds with each other without the pressure of AFL, hopefully it translates over to AFL level ASAP.

I hope Goodes / Jones / Redpath / Lower etc are going to be fit for this week's game. All important players for Footscray and I really want the guys to win this thing, would be great for their development.

Yeah the genuine excitement from the boys is great to see. It actually means something to them.
Tom Young said as much in an interview during the week. Mentioned that playing with Footscray has reinvigorated his love for the game, and is enjoying footy more than he ever has.

One of the best moves this club's ever made, spending the money on this initiative.

Mmmm...any other week, I'd agree.

But as I said, he's been (clearly) told he is in the VFL side most of this year to develop his game. He's done so with aplomb, and ensured a home final off his own boot in a situation most players only dream about.

It's an interesting dilemma. As others have mentioned - we win the AFL game, we likely overtake Carlton. Not a lot to gain this week AFL-wise.
Another game into another young KP player and a win against a fellow young team. Don't worry about the draft order we don't worry about a position here or there. We are not Melbourne or Stkilda who seem to like to lose this time of the year. Win is a win. Let's send Gia off in style and stick it up those pampered Northerners.

As good as the Fletcher Roberts goal after the siren was, I'm staggered as to how no Richmond player touched it. Wasn't that big idiot Hampson on the goal line? How the hell did none of them get at least a finger on that?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back