Review vs Bulldogs (5th best comeback by margin for any club, and equal best for StK)

Remove this Banner Ad

what on saturday? he played. won a heap of clearances, but couldnt get any ball on the outside.

wow, you're having me on. didnt see him at all, all game. thought he didnt play

what happened to him being the match winner that does the remarkable. isnt he supposed to be the best young prospect outside of fyfe?

They're an immature side, who if not after leading by 55 points, absolutely should have won when they kicked the first two of the final quarter. But apparently listening to the radio yesterday, no one can provide any suggestion as to who was playing on Jack Billings.

As of right now they are getting off easy. But they wouldn't want to lose a big lead anytime soon or it may ruin them as a group. St Kilda were 7-3 and in good shape for a couple of finals in 1999 when they lost a 66 point lead against Hawthorn, then a considerable lead the next week against eventual woodens spoon winners Collingwood. You eventually start thinking that no lead is safe and play accordingly. We lost a host of big leads over the next two years after that until the group was significantly turned over.

Going back to that Hawthorn game in 1999, a number of promising younger players played in that game. Here's the list of the under 26 year olds who played in that game for St Kilda:

Peter Everitt (played his best football in 1998, played a significant role in losing this game), Daniel Healy (played 2 more games for the club), Jason Triainidis (never kicked on), Darryl Wakelin (delisted bewilderingly by Blight), Tony Brown (finished within 18 months after being a very good player ever since arriving), Tim Elliot (didn't kick on), Barry Hall (left to play his best footy), Max Hudghton (went OK), Austinn Jones (see Max), Brett Knowles (never kicked on), Joe McLaren (traded in 2000), Matthew Carr (left to play his best footy), Ben Walton (best 1st year player in 1999, finished by 2001).

As I said, they wouldn't want to lose a significant lead in a game for a while, because that sh*t will eat at you.

I knew Weller was playing defensive forward, but they went through him a fair bit, and he's a good overhead mark for his size.

There's a reason he's head foot soldier.

A quick reminisce... johannisen bursting through the ground...slips... and mckenzie tackled him like a lion onto a gazelle. ..tumble and all. Anyone else love the ferocity and technique in the tackle?

The other thing was the pace. I had to rewatch the footage to realize, but when you get the opposite angle to the one they showed originally, you see McKenzie keeps up with him the whole way and Johannisen has some insane speed. He really tore through our midfield a couple of times during the game.

Dermott "Practically Albert Einstein" Brereton said that we had no one playing to keep up with their pace.

Huge, huge fan of the kid after that game. It's really the exact response that you love as a supporter to his previous game. Clearly last week he was just a touch overwhelmed by the new level, but he had a complete crack the whole game and did some really special things on the wing in 50/50 situations.

I think it's one of those points where we just have to say congratulations to the list team as well. This kid is clearly quality, and was pretty unheard of for a lot of people. I know there were a number of users here who didn't have him anywhere close to priority for that pick. I'm not trying to antagonize those people, just trying to make the point that this was another example of finding talent where no one else was able to see it. Lonie and Sinclair are obviously the two huge counterpoints to that.

How could no one honestly take a go at Sinclair? It kind of blows my mind every time I watch him play now. How does a pretty small kid, taken in the rookie draft play so composed and with so much skill? That hardly ever happens.

When I get a bit more free time I'm going to start cutting up some highlights from games of the different little things you don't see when it's not a goal or mark. One of the reasons I wanted to do this was because Sinclair's tackle in the forward 50 was pretty brilliant. He wrapped around the opposition player standing, and as the other player was bucking and moving to break free, Sinclair kept moving and slipping in the tackle, and eventually rode him to ground and kept him there. A weaker tackle could have seen that other player break free and find opposition and hurt us on the rebound like we are susceptible to.

AFL to investigate illuminati ties with St Kilda

132451_95816a8e55864ca22acae448fb719031.png

As per Titus O'Rieily in his weekly 'Monday Knee Jerk Reaction' which is well worth the read;

For theDoggies, there were no real excuses. They had had flown back from Sydney during the week though.

I’ve heard that flight from Sydney to Melbourne is pretty tough, what with the whole taking off and almost landing straight away thing.

All the Bulldogs will be thinking about this week is the one that got away and the fact the one that got away lost to Carlton the week before.

http://titusoreily.com/the-monday-knee-jerk-reaction-afl-round-six/

They're an immature side, who if not after leading by 55 points, absolutely should have won when they kicked the first two of the final quarter. But apparently listening to the radio yesterday, no one can provide any suggestion as to who was playing on Jack Billings.

As of right now they are getting off easy. But they wouldn't want to lose a big lead anytime soon or it may ruin them as a group. St Kilda were 7-3 and in good shape for a couple of finals in 1999 when they lost a 66 point lead against Hawthorn, then a considerable lead the next week against eventual woodens spoon winners Collingwood. You eventually start thinking that no lead is safe and play accordingly. We lost a host of big leads over the next two years after that until the group was significantly turned over.

Going back to that Hawthorn game in 1999, a number of promising younger players played in that game. Here's the list of the under 26 year olds who played in that game for St Kilda:

Peter Everitt (played his best football in 1998, played a significant role in losing this game), Daniel Healy (played 2 more games for the club), Jason Triainidis (never kicked on), Darryl Wakelin (delisted bewilderingly by Blight), Tony Brown (finished within 18 months after being a very good player ever since arriving), Tim Elliot (didn't kick on), Barry Hall (left to play his best footy), Max Hudghton (went OK), Austinn Jones (see Max), Brett Knowles (never kicked on), Joe McLaren (traded in 2000), Matthew Carr (left to play his best footy), Ben Walton (best 1st year player in 1999, finished by 2001).

As I said, they wouldn't want to lose a significant lead in a game for a while, because that sh*t will eat at you.

That game was alo the death nell for Matty Young if I recall correctly. It was when Terry wallets stated that if you stop Young, you stop St Kilda.

Especially when you can lure players like carlton has apparently approached Aish. We should be looking to get guys to the club and we need solid performance to make us an attractive destination. Carlton look set for another rebuild, we should talk Aish out of that rabble.

Mentioned that on Carlton board in their post game wrist slashing session, but also felt that it was Aish's manager simply trying to generate more interest and getting a better price out of Adelaide. Crows board said the same thing. As several Carlton posters said, "who in their right mind, would want to come here?"

If it wasn't Carlton, you would feel sorry for them, but as it is, I don't.

A quick reminisce... johannisen bursting through the ground...slips... and mckenzie tackled him like a lion onto a gazelle. ..tumble and all. Anyone else love the ferocity and technique in the tackle?

I stopped foxtel then and replayed it a couple of times to see if he tripped and whether McKenzie fell as well. He did trip and lurch, but McKenzie went hard straight at him in the tackle, so that he couldn't hand ball from the ground. A sensational tackle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mentioned that on Carlton board in their post game wrist slashing session, but also felt that it was Aish's manager simply trying to generate more interest and getting a better price out of Adelaide. Crows board said the same thing. As several Carlton posters said, "who in their right mind, would want to come here?"

If it wasn't Carlton, you would feel sorry for them, but as it is, I don't.

i wonder what gave that away, was it carlton selling out pickers

if they thought they were a genuine chance no way do they backup brisbane

I stopped foxtel then and replayed it a couple of times to see if he tripped and whether McKenzie fell as well. He did trip and lurch, but McKenzie went hard straight at him in the tackle, so that he couldn't hand ball from the ground. A sensational tackle.

He also rolled himself over and to the side, to avoid the in the back and high tackle simultaneously. His game awareness throughout, was what really stood out to me! I think he was surrounded by 4-5 doggies at one point, and somehow found a handpass out of the contest allowing us to slingshot for a goal.

He also rolled himself over and to the side, to avoid the in the back and high tackle simultaneously. His game awareness throughout, was what really stood out to me! I think he was surrounded by 4-5 doggies at one point, and somehow found a handpass out of the contest allowing us to slingshot for a goal.
he got game

been thinking about it a while, think the weekends game could be one of those very important steps for newnes

wasnt up to his best but i noticed he feels more comfortable now to the point he was taking more time with the footy and was taking opponents on rather than taking the safer option. got caught but still could dispose of it. going to be a matter of time before he doesnt get caught and starts to seriously break some lines

Lets also try not to get ahead of ourselves. We were 55 points down at one point and the reasons for that need to be addressed. Hopefully Richo and the team keep everyone firmly on the ground hehe

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the Triple M call? Do they podcast them or put them up anywhere for download?

Id pay a couple bucks to get their audio so I can loop it over the game :)

i wonder what gave that away, was it carlton selling out pickers

if they thought they were a genuine chance no way do they backup brisbane

Does it get to a stage with some agents where clubs will refuse to deal with them? Or do they have such a strong hand, where players are becoming more and more mobile, that they are the new king makers of the game?

Just on that, great tackle, but the reason teams would miss him is because of his obscurity. Didnt take his football seriously in his underage year and didnt even play his 18yr until the last couple of games, then played as an overager last year and started to get some continuity. Played awesome for Port Melbourne when he got his chance.

I think clubs get a bit spooked with the overagers who get games. For some, I get t he feeling its a bit taboo to pick them, like a Taylor Grace who has some weaknesses but you look towards the younger 18 year olds who are showing that bit more. Of course for every Taylor Grace there is a Tom Langdon, or for our sake, Tom Templeton :)

Just shows if you do your homework and invest time and energy into your recruitment the kind of gems you can get later on.

Does it get to a stage with some agents where clubs will refuse to deal with them? Or do they have such a strong hand, where players are becoming more and more mobile, that they are the new king makers of the game?

Probably a bit of both. Players will look to them for guidance, and if a manager has a bad impression of a club, then he will convey that to the player.

been thinking about it a while, think the weekends game could be one of those very important steps for newnes

wasnt up to his best but i noticed he feels more comfortable now to the point he was taking more time with the footy and was taking opponents on rather than taking the safer option. got caught but still could dispose of it. going to be a matter of time before he doesnt get caught and starts to seriously break some lines
Jack Newnes was very good on the weekend. There were a couple of defensive efforts where he stretched himself to his very limit while flying into a pack, and bringing the ball to ground that I thought were outstanding. He has always been brave in the contest and he continues to show that week in and week out. If he has one knock it is free kicks against, which I think is directly related to his ferocity going into each contest, but I am sure that will evaporate as he gets more games under his belt. He also seems to have great acceleration over the first 10 metres...their have been a couple of timew where I have thought he's been beaten only to see him run someone down. As important to us right now as Luke Dunstan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back