Sport Want to play AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Hi everyone,

Just heard about this from a friend, I don't know if anyone has heard of AFL 9s, it is basically a non-contact, social touch footy comp that runs weeknights after work from October to December.

If (like me!) you've never played the game before and would like to try a version of the game that is less physically demanding, then this may be for you. Anyone want to get a team together??

Team registrations for the Spring 2012 competitions are open in all categories, for more info see the sportingpulse website:

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_...D=188526&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=20445457

AFL 9s Miranda
Where: 5 Sports Endeavour Sports High School
When: Each Monday commencing October 15th until December 10th.
Game Times: 6.30 – 9.00pm
On 5G Artificial Grass field; the only Artificial Grass surface in NSW certified by the AFL.
Registrations are now open for the 5Sports Spring AFL 9s season!
To register your team, please call 5Sports on 02 9540 6555.
For more information please visit:
http://www.5sports.com.au/features/AFL9s

AFL 9s Moore Park Senior – Men’s Competition

Where: Robertson Road Fields, Centennial Park
When: Each Monday commencing October 8th until December 10th
Game Times: 6.15 – 8.30pm
Competition Manager: Caitlin Tuttle

AFL 9s Moore Park Senior Mixed

Where: Robertson Road Fields, Centennial Park
When: Each Thursday commencing October 11th for 10 weeks
Game Times: 6.15 – 8.30pm
Competition Manager: Caitlin Tuttle

AFL 9s Moore Park Youth

Where: Robertson Fields
Game Times: 5.00 – 6.15pm
Competition Manager: Ryan Silvester
Contact: Ryan at ryan.silvester@aflnswact.com.au to register.

We are taking registrations for U15s & U12s.

U15s will operate as a round robin competition with registration on a team basis.

U12s will operate as a program with registration on a individual basis, although you are encouraged to have enough members for a team. The program will include an introduction to AFL 9s and skill development for the first few weeks, followed by AFL 9s games thereafter.

AFL 9s Northern Beaches Senior

Where: Beacon Hill Oval
When: Each Monday commencing October 15th for 9 weeks
Game Times: 6.15 – 8.00pm
Competition Manager: Emma Collyer

AFL 9s Northern Beaches Youth

Where: Beacon Hill Oval
When: Each Monday commencing October 15th for 9 weeks
Game Times: 4.00 – 6.00pm
Competition Manager: Chris Beachley
Contact: Chris on chris.beachley@aflnswact.com.au to register.

We are taking registrations for U15s & U12s.

U15s will operate as a round robin competition with registration on a team basis.

U12s will operate as a program with registration on a individual basis, although you are encouraged to have enough members for a team. The program will include an introduction to AFL 9s and skill development for the first few weeks, followed by AFL 9s games thereafter.

AFL 9s North Ryde Seniors

Where: Macquarie University
Game times: 6.30 - 8.30pm
Competition Manager: Corina Lockyer

My friend said he has 4 or 5 people at the moment. Only 3 more needed for the starting line-up - any takers for Monday nights at Moore Park?

9's is a good game, irritating though if you're new to the game. Drop a mark it's a turn over, spray a kick it's a turn over, based all around skill and precision. If you know any girls that are good kicks, grab them and throw them to FF. Good game for a bit of fitness in the off season.

Thanks for the reply, yes was skimming through the website and noticed the rule about turnovers. Guess you could say fitness is my main objective, have played a bit of social soccer but skills very limited, will keep it in mind though!

Skill and precision aren't two words I'd usually associate with rec footy.
Oh indeed, the first season it started I played in a team with my club as well as two other local footy clubs. The other 4 teams were all people having fun and even though we were just mucking around we belted the other teams. Even going for a mark is a mind game as your cant nudge into anyone so it's all about positioning.

Thanks for the reply, yes was skimming through the website and noticed the rule about turnovers. Guess you could say fitness is my main objective, have played a bit of social soccer but skills very limited, will keep it in mind though!

Oh it's a good game for fitness as you'll always be running, though you only stay inside your quarters, forwards stay in the forward end etc.

Do NOT go to Moore Park. It's full of frustrated lower grade players from UNSW and UTS who lose their s**t and try and fight me over a bit of banter in a game of touch football. Seriously though, I umpired it for two seasons (I had a poor quality cocaine habit) and guaranteed one game a week there'd be a team of dudes who clearly took it way too seriously.

Thanks for the advice all, we will consider our options!

did you end up putting team in, rwfan83 ?

No, I had other commitments on Monday and Thursday nights for the next couple of months which I couldn't move, but may do it next season if anyone's keen!

Relevant bump.

Anyone interested this year? A few comps starting in mid-October running until mid-December.

alanlau34

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back