Society/Culture Warren Mundine slams AFLW's decision to ban the minute's silence for the Queen

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

Wasn't sure where to put this so started a thread. I think he raises a lot of good points in this, the main one being that it seems to be white people who make these decisions.

I'm generally not one for representation for the sake of it, but you'd wonder how much engagement was done with indigenous leaders before this decision was made. Non-indigenous are probably more likely to err on the side of "not being racist", and as a result you can get some over the top (IMO) decisions like this.

Then again this is the only indigenous person I've heard comment on this, maybe the majority still were against it?

Wasn't sure where to put this so started a thread. I think he raises a lot of good points in this, the main one being that it seems to be white people who make these decisions.

I'm generally not one for representation for the sake of it, but you'd wonder how much engagement was done with indigenous leaders before this decision was made. Non-indigenous are probably more likely to err on the side of "not being racist", and as a result you can get some over the top (IMO) decisions like this.

Then again this is the only indigenous person I've heard comment on this, maybe the majority still were against it?

Ah, SkyNews. That bastion of integrity and reporting.

When the person doing the Welcome to Country in Indigenous Round withdraws because of the minute's silence for the Queen, it probably suggests that Indigenous people aren't totally good with it.

When the person doing the Welcome to Country in Indigenous Round withdraws because of the minute's silence for the Queen, it probably suggests that Indigenous people aren't totally good with it.

Ha ha, yeah I thought the source may be questioned, well i think the point is still fair.

And I didn't know about that, I mean I guess it's fair to say they're aren't all aligned on this issue anyway, probably divided between right and left wing as usual.

Ha ha, yeah I thought the source may be questioned, well i think the point is still fair.

And I didn't know about that, I mean I guess it's fair to say they're aren't all aligned on this issue anyway, probably divided between right and left wing as usual.

I don't think the monarchy is particularly popular with Indigenous people of any persuasion, except those who are trying to make a dollar out of it e.g. Mundine.

You are going to find nothing but left to hard left responses here from mostly non indigenous posters

You are going to find nothing but left to hard left responses here from mostly non indigenous posters

What’s “left to hard left”?

IMO left would be a presentation dissing the Queen

Right would be a presentation kissing the Queen’s ass

And centrist (apolitical) staying right out of it.

Now aren’t the right wingers all the “leave the politics out of football” types? Except monarchy worship and Anzac commemoration of course.

As to Mundine’s shtick you’ll always find a person from a group supporting positions that would harm that group if you pay them enough. There have been Muslims call for a ban on Muslim immigration, gays who oppose same sex marriage, if you Google a group called “Association of German National Jews” you’ll find a group in 1930’s Germany that had some, questionable views…..

Now of course these people are a fringe minority in the wider community who are being controversial for attention, boosted by Murdoch media and tried to be passed off as “representative” of their communities.

Now opinion polls tell us most indigenous Australians support left wing parties, so Mundine’s view are an outlier.

Warren Mundine would have supported apartheid if he thought there was a quid in it for him.
I have to agree.
Warren Mundine speaks for Rupert Murdoch.

What’s “left to hard left”?
The majority of posters on SPR
IMO left would be a presentation dissing the Queen

Right would be a presentation kissing the Queen’s ass

And centrist (apolitical) staying right out of it.
Not doing the moments slience seems like a big diss
Now aren’t the right wingers all the “leave the politics out of football” types? Except monarchy worship and Anzac commemoration of course.
Its basic respect there, most people actually do pay thier respects.
As to Mundine’s shtick you’ll always find a person from a group supporting positions that would harm that group if you pay them enough. There have been Muslims call for a ban on Muslim immigration, gays who oppose same sex marriage, if you Google a group called “Association of German National Jews” you’ll find a group in 1930’s Germany that had some, questionable views…..

Now of course these people are a fringe minority in the wider community who are being controversial for attention, boosted by Murdoch media and tried to be passed off as “representative” of their communities.
You know you can have an opinion that differs from the majority right?
Now opinion polls tell us most indigenous Australians support left wing parties, so Mundine’s view are an outlier.
Fair if that's the quilifer for yourself

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually it means that person is against it, not all, not majority or minority, its means that person.

Not doing the moments slience seems like a big diss

Let’s see your reaction when the AFL announces a moment of silence for all LGBT people murdered or victims of violence.
Its basic respect there, most people actually do pay thier respects.

No most people don’t speak because that’s the socially accepted thing to do.
Like the minute’s silence during Anzac games, I’m not sitting there quietly thanking the diggers for “sacrificing their lives for my freedoms”, I’m like “let’s get on with it”.

Let’s see your reaction when the AFL announces a moment of silence for all LGBT people murdered or victims of violence.

No most people don’t speak because that’s the socially accepted thing to do.
Like the minute’s silence during Anzac games, I’m not sitting there quietly thanking the diggers for “sacrificing their lives for my freedoms”, I’m like “let’s get on with it”.
No thats you, not most people. What a very narcissistic point of view.

Funny how people like yourself on the extreme right only want to hear 2 Indigenous voices , Price and Mundine, but you reject the other half a million Indigenous voices.
Can't you see how ridiculous that is?

Funny how people like yourself on the extreme right only want to hear 2 Indigenous voices , Price and Mundine, but you reject the other half a million Indigenous voices.
Can't you see how ridiculous that is?
Nice projection of what you what me to be, none true in reality of course

ANZACS I can understand. A minute silence for the Queen is meh. I'm surprised anyone cared enough to do the minute silence or protest it.

You wont answer basic questions because you have no answer that makes any sense.
Keep listening to your 2 favourite right wing nut Indigenous voices and keep ignoring the all the other voices.
You're a joke like sky news.
You do exactly the same thing in reverse. Ignoring all indigenous voices that dont align to your belief

Remove this Banner Ad

Back