Society/Culture Warren Mundine slams AFLW's decision to ban the minute's silence for the Queen

Remove this Banner Ad

You can't expect Indigenous players to be happy paying respects to a women who's regime killed their ancestors.
They don't have to bow down to her if they don't want to.

They aren't requesting not to observe the minute,but for it to be banned for everyone.

They aren't requesting not to observe the minute,but for it to be banned for everyone.
Well most people don't want to pay their respects imo.
People are sick of the whole thing and the saturation coverage.
The Queen only exists to uphold the class system, she has no opinions and is extremely wealthy.
It's a different world now compared to the 70's when a lot of people had a portrait of the queen in their house.
The bottom line is that the royal family are irrelevant.
I like Charles's views on things but now he will muzzled and just a head nodder.
It's unAustralian to have a foreigner as our head of state imo.
The Queen was a good statesman but she didn't offer much else.

What would be the 'meet in the middle' compromise here? Those that want to observe the minute's silence could do so down one end while everyone else plays kick to kick up the other?

They could take a knee or raise a fist or something. The Saudi team once ignored the minute silence for 9/11 victims and continued training on the field.

Last edited:
What would be the 'meet in the middle' compromise here? Those that want to observe the minute's silence could do so down one end while everyone else plays kick to kick up the other?
Same meet in the middle we all have to do for acknowledgement of country. Sit through it with rolled eyes and carry on? Not everything needs to be banned or cause outrage. Though id love for all tokenistic crap to be thrown out altogether it never will be

Well in fairness Gerard Whateley said she was the only one brave to make comments on that issue in the footy media. Not sure if that's true but I don't really recall anyone else saying much.
Think - and I use think here; I don't know - there'd be more than a few indigenous players who'd be mindful of what happened to Adam Goodes when he started having known public opinions.

It'd be nice to live in a country where the populace can be trusted to listen to what someone's saying, as opposed to who it is that's saying it. Alas, Australia's not there yet.

I can't believe I need to say this, but it seems I do.

People, if another poster wants to volunteer their status as an Indigenous/Torres Strait Islander person, that is entirely their prerogative. It isn't up to you to try and compell details about someone's identity from them for the purposes of winning an argument.

People can have opinions seemingly at odds with their cultural extract, and those opinions can be valid or not and can be discussed on that basis.

Please, respect each other. That is, if you wish to continue conversing.

Think - and I use think here; I don't know - there'd be more than a few indigenous players who'd be mindful of what happened to Adam Goodes when he started having known public opinions.

It'd be nice to live in a country where the populace can be trusted to listen to what someone's saying, as opposed to who it is that's saying it. Alas, Australia's not there yet.

And I think it's getting worse. And it's not only who is saying something, it's what their demographic is. But I'm a pale stale male so my opinion won't count ha ha

Mundine is a supporter of ridiculously expensive and totally unnecessary nuclear power and lines his pockets with dirty Murdoch money.

From 12 December 2017, Mundine co-hosted a 12-part program on Sky News Live, Mundine Means Business, focusing on successful indigenous Australians in business.[21] A second season debuted on 2 September 2018,[22] supported by a grant totalling $220,000 from the Coalition government, running from 18 June 2018 to 1 August 2019, supporting 15 percent of the season's production expenses.[
Is Mundine allowed to have his opinion?

Is Mundine allowed to have his opinion?
Yeah sure. Should The Australian and Skynews use him and Price as the only Indigenous voices though?
The answer to that is no of course. They promote sn opinion that represents about 1% of Indigenous voices and then Murdoch constantly attacks people like Linda Burney and Lidia Thorpe.
You know it , I know it so dont bs me.
He literally gets paid off by skynews.
For you to even attempt to argue they represent majority Indigenous opinion is a joke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are the real racist
According to you black people can only have an opinion you allow them to have
You don't think that's what your news sources are doing when they give no weight to anyone but those in the pocket of the LNP? Really?

Same meet in the middle we all have to do for acknowledgement of country. Sit through it with rolled eyes and carry on? Not everything needs to be banned or cause outrage. Though id love for all tokenistic crap to be thrown out altogether it never will be
Just thinking on this a bit more - although you make a fair point I'd be thinking the Republic v Monarchy issue is far more of an issue that people will take a stand on, as opposed to squaring off over 'Welcome to Country'.

Rightly or wrongly it is far more acceptable to be a Monarchist than it is to publicly oppose or stand against the 'Welcome to Country' ceremony.

Same as the minute of silence on ANZAC Day. It would be nigh-on unthinkable to actually oppose it enough to start kicking the footy while its being observed by others.

There's rigorous debate every year over ANZAC Day of course but even so, some cows are just too sacred.

Yeah sure. Should The Australian and Skynews use him and Price as the only Indigenous voices though?
The answer to that is no of course. They promote sn opinion that represents about 1% of Indigenous voices and then Murdoch constantly attacks people like Linda Burney and Lidia Thorpe.
You know it , I know it so dont bs me.
He literally gets paid off by skynews.
For you to even attempt to argue they represent majority Indigenous opinion is a joke.

He didn't, he really didn't. I'll say it again, your ability to find what you want to read is remarkable.

He didn't, he really didn't. I'll say it again, your ability to find what you want to read is remarkable.
So he must be claiming that national Murdoch media is within it's rights to give any media on Indigenous rights to their two paid puppets . Gmab.
It's a bit like Barnaby Joyce arguing corruption is ok on grants.

Last edited:
So he must be claiming that national Murdoch media is within it's rights to give any media on Indigenous rights to their two paid puppets . Gmab.
It's a bit like Barnaby Joyce arguing corruption is ok on grants.

Again you're going off on a tangent but I'll play along. So the Murdoch media shouldn't have their paid Indigenous employees comment on indigenous issues?

Again you're going off on a tangent but I'll play along. So the Murdoch media shouldn't have their paid Indigenous employees comment on indigenous issues?
They're paid politicians. They are buying politicians and promoting their anti-Indigenous rights views and ignoring majority Indigenous rights views.
That's not journalism in a democracy. It's cynical, misleading and corrupt and everyone knows that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back