Warwick Irwin (Careful what you wish for)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, that McLean guy, I remember his first game for us ( possibly against Carlton at vfl park ) and I'm watching him in the ruck and wondering how the hell he's supposed to fix our ruck problems. I'd never even heard of him when he played for Melbourne.

Yeah, that McLean guy, I remember his first game for us ( possibly against Carlton at vfl park ) and I'm watching him in the ruck and wondering how the hell he's supposed to fix our ruck problems. I'd never even heard of him when he played for Melbourne.
Inspired recruiting with bottomless bank account. I hate the salary cap but it probably saved us from ourselves

Great player in his heyday.

He was my P.E teacher at Mount Waverley Secondary a decade ago, spoke to him about his career and once brought up that he played for the pies and he cringed a bit before acknowledging that he played in the 81' GF for us.

Really nice person and was a great mentor, hope he's still teaching!

Remember those days ..... With sadness.

Leigh Carlson was one of my favs. Probably the best night player in the game....tho at the time only that Tuesday night comp played at night.
Des Herbert also went to Fitzroy in the trade.

I loved Leigh Carlson. How good did he look in the long sleeve Collingwood jumper covered in mud. What a warrior. I think he was traded to Fitzroy and played against us in that epic 1981 First Semi final. We had a funny trading relationship with the Roys. I never followed it closely as a kid but it seemed to leave those old Fitzroy fans livid with us in the same way Richmond seemed to have a pathological rage with us after the Raines/Cloke thing. It's funny when you look at both those clubs attitude to us in the recent trade period, they don't seem to have changed much. Maybe they're still not over it.

Great player in his heyday.

He was my P.E teacher at Mount Waverley Secondary a decade ago, spoke to him about his career and once brought up that he played for the pies and he cringed a bit before acknowledging that he played in the 81' GF for us.

Really nice person and was a great mentor, hope he's still teaching!
He is mate, wierd sort of operator but a good bloke haha.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep in 79 against Carlton until that prick Johnston broke his jaw.
Late in the 2nd Q. He was on fire up until then. Like McKenna in 70. Same time of the game and really costly. McKenna was friendly fire though

Pre-Hine we did not have a Great Record of Recurting
No. (Deep breath in, Deep breath out) we didn't.:(
I remember when we recruited Alan Edwards from, yes dare I say Richmond. Had more knee reco's than I'd had hot dinners, but yep we recruited him. My best mates dad was a trainer at Richmond, they couldn't believe their luck. He failed our medical.
TD wish I had been born later:)

Yep in 79 against Carlton until that prick Johnston broke his jaw.
A probable factor but what really cost us in 79 was a blind boundary umpire.

I've followed Collingwood all my life and so many of those names listed had well and truly passed thorough to the keeper. I recall many drafts that were complete wipe outs. In the late nineties/early 2000s we had two players with the same name neither of whom did anything much I think. Andrew Hill?

A probable factor but what really cost us in 79 was a blind boundary umpire.

I've followed Collingwood all my life and so many of those names listed had well and truly passed thorough to the keeper. I recall many drafts that were complete wipe outs. In the late nineties/early 2000s we had two players with the same name neither of whom did anything much I think. Andrew Hill?
Yep we had two useless Andrew Hills. Quite amazing really!!

During the 1979 Grand Final, Ohlsen was almost best afield when he suffered a broken jaw at the hands of Trevor Keogh.
Keogh? Must have been a) a freak accident or b) a cheap snipe. Johnston I just accepted as dirty dog act. Keogh was more aball player or so I thought

During the 1979 Grand Final, Ohlsen was almost best afield when he suffered a broken jaw at the hands of Trevor Keogh.
Oh it was Keogh? I think I hate Johnston so much I blame him...haha

I knew he was more than a handy player for us probably because of that Grand Final.
I remember him playing some outstanding games.
I was living in Canberra in 1979 and watched the Grand Final there on TV.
Still cannot get over losing that one and in 1981 against those pr1cks.
We were on top in both games.
If it was like 1980 it wouldn't bother me.

I knew he was more than a handy player for us probably because of that Grand Final.
I remember him playing some outstanding games.
I was living in Canberra in 1979 and watched the Grand Final there on TV.
Still cannot get over losing that one and in 1981 against those pr1cks.
We were on top in both games.
If it was like 1980 it wouldn't bother me.
Yeah 79 is the one for me...probably more so than 70 or 77
80 was bust. We were done before we got there. 81 - we hit a wall somewhere in the 3rd - I think it was the sum total of 77, 79 and 80

Remove this Banner Ad

Back