WBD 2015 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Just on Ayce, I thought last year that he'd slimmed off, I think his biggest weapon is his mobility and the year before he got a bit bigger and really struggled. I don't think he's ever going to get big enough to be a monster like Minson and so any extra bulk he puts on just slows him down without the required countering benefits of being a monster.

As a result perhaps, he played the whole year for the first time in his career. He played well for Footscray, worked well with Tommy Campbell.

He needs to learn to mark so he can become a threat up forward as a resting ruck. Sure being bigger can help with his marking but as I said earlier I don't think he can get to monster size. Plenty of guys can mark it contested or otherwise without being massive. If Ayce can learn to do it he becomes a real weapon. Big if....I have said it before but if Gary Dempsey could spend some time with him he might do what he did to Bandy's marking years ago. Demps might be a bit beyond it now unfortunately.

Just on Ayce, I thought last year that he'd slimmed off, I think his biggest weapon is his mobility and the year before he got a bit bigger and really struggled. I don't think he's ever going to get big enough to be a monster like Minson and so any extra bulk he puts on just slows him down without the required countering benefits of being a monster.

As a result perhaps, he played the whole year for the first time in his career. He played well for Footscray, worked well with Tommy Campbell.

He needs to learn to mark so he can become a threat up forward as a resting ruck. Sure being bigger can help with his marking but as I said earlier I don't think he can get to monster size. Plenty of guys can mark it contested or otherwise without being massive. If Ayce can learn to do it he becomes a real weapon. Big if....I have said it before but if Gary Dempsey could spend some time with him he might do what he did to Bandy's marking years ago. Demps might be a bit beyond it now unfortunately.

Agree entirely. Unless we're planning to have Cordy as #1 ruck, he doesn't necessarily need to be any bigger. If he's mobile and can mark (both overhead and on his chest) and can cope with the rigours of the game at that size and weight, that's fine.

I'm not 100% sure, but I know a lot of clubs keep them on the shelf until Xmas and focus on fitness at this point of the year.
Our skills need more work than anyway...glad we have addressed it

Our skills need more work than anyway...glad we have addressed it

Agree. Our mid/late '00s side was the most skilled getting around and indicative of how much quick improvement can come from getting this right.

This time around we have the big bastard up forward to kick it to.

Agree. Our mid/late '00s side was the most skilled getting around and indicative of how much quick improvement can come from getting this right.

This time around we have the big bastard up forward to kick it to.

Have we ever had 2 190cm + KPF's that have had this much potential ever? I don't believe we have ever had this much potential in our forward line.

Have we ever had 2 190cm + KPF's that have had this much potential ever? I don't believe we have ever had this much potential in our forward line.

Potential? Sure have:

Quinlan and Templeton.

Templeton and Loveless.

Templeton and Stanlake.

Templeton and Beasley.

A.Campbell, Grant and Ballantyne.

Fulfillment of potential? Remains to be seen...

Cordy needs to be on the Justin Westhoff weights/bulking program. No coincidence in the fact that his bigger body has seen his perfomance onfield dramatically improve. Used to be a joke, now commands some respect in one of the best forward lines in the comp.

From this
2prcl5v.jpg
14udsv7.jpg

To this
6rsqh3.jpg
102jty0.jpg

Still is very narrow across the shoulders due to a small frame, but considerably different below the waist. A lot more muscle through the legs.

Cordy needs a physical overhaul, height can only do so much for you. His physique is not up to AFL standards and this is reflected in his onfield consistency.

Cordy needs to be on the Justin Westhoff weights/bulking program. No coincidence in the fact that his bigger body has seen his perfomance onfield dramatically improve. Used to be a joke, now commands some respect in one of the best forward lines in the comp.

From this
2prcl5v.jpg
14udsv7.jpg

To this
6rsqh3.jpg
102jty0.jpg

Still is very narrow across the shoulders due to a small frame, but considerably different below the waist. A lot more muscle through the legs.

Cordy needs a physical overhaul, height can only do so much for you. His physique is not up to AFL standards and this is reflected in his onfield consistency.
So you're saying Ayce needs to grow a beard? ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, the problems that Ayce has been facing since he was drafted have largely been the club trying to build up more muscle and mass then his body can actually support. From the first match in the VFL this season I've thought that he looked much more streamlined and it absolutely did help him out.

In a way, I love it how Bev looks like a mean, angry bastard. It's time we started playing like one as well, make teams hurt when they play us. Bring back the mongrel!![/QUOTE]

Now that's something I'd love to see.....

actually he needs to change the mouth guard he uses, makes him look like he's missing teeth. Change that and I reckon we have a player!

He needs to stop drinking vodka raspberries.

Ayce has always tried to mark predominantly on his chest, even in his draft highlights reel this is the case. With arms as long as his, he should be marking at full stretch, but sadly has never really learnt how to do this regularly.

Happily, Zaine looks to be at home taking marks with arms outstretched and I have a lot more hope that he will be a good mark in the AFL than his brother.

Writing on the wall for Ayce already and it's still November. Those pics of his upper arms are appallingly underdeveloped for a guy who has been in the system for 5 years.

Ayce has always tried to mark predominantly on his chest, even in his draft highlights reel this is the case. With arms as long as his, he should be marking at full stretch, but sadly has never really learnt how to do this regularly.

Happily, Zaine looks to be at home taking marks with arms outstretched and I have a lot more hope that he will be a good mark in the AFL than his brother.

Writing on the wall for Ayce already and it's still November. Those pics of his upper arms are appallingly underdeveloped for a guy who has been in the system for 5 years.

Are there emoticions for a standing ovation ?! Such good points all of them

Writing on the wall for Ayce already and it's still November. Those pics of his upper arms are appallingly underdeveloped for a guy who has been in the system for 5 years.[/QUOTE]

http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/4312570-3x4-340x453.jpg

T
I'm not 100% sure, but I know a lot of clubs keep them on the shelf until Xmas and focus on fitness at this point of the year.

There wouldn't be a single club that starts ball work after Christmas. If they did they'd be we'll behind the 8ball.
Even at local level they start drills week of pre season !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back