List Mgmt. Welcome Damien Cavka Pick 66 2014 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Damian. We'll have to find a suitable nickname.

Black Cavka (ala Black Caviar)?
"Vroom Vroom" (Cav CAr)?...

Another runner, I reckon we might have fixed a few holes in the squad

Runner or small forward? Maybe both!

From his highlights and the fact that Lonie and Daniell's were taken I suspect that we used this pick chasing the small running forward we've been looking for. Cripps and Hill will have Karpany, Newman and Cavka keeping them honest for a spot in the best 22.:thumbsu::thumbsu:

I'm really happy with all of our picks with 3 of them being speedy customers and Duggan having solid foot skills. To get Lamb at 32 and then Nelson, Cavka and topped off with Waterman was a pretty sweet outcome.

He looks like he puts a lot of air in to his kicks. They go very high. Can't do that at AFL level with the tall, quick defenders. They'll be all over the target

This kid is the one we have" pick pocketed from the other Clubs" with.

Seen him a few times now and he is a dead set running machine......oh and by the way he also is a pretty handy footballer to boot.

This pick sealed the draft for me , very good upside and a real competitor.

Where is the pace and/or X factor in all of that? Small and slow appears the way to go

Speed can be over-rated, everyone fapped over this:

20-Meter Sprint (seconds)
1. Ashley Smith – 2.80
2. Jack Watts – 2.82
3. Stephen Hill – 2.83
4. Nicholas Naitanui – 2.86
5. Tom Swift – 2.89

6. Ryan Shoenmakers – 2.90
7. Nick Heyne – 2.91
=7. Sam Blease – 2.91
9. Luke Shuey – 2.92
=9. Taylor Hunt – 2.92
=9. Matthew DeBoer – 2.92

Speed can be over-rated, everyone fapped over this:

20-Meter Sprint (seconds)
1. Ashley Smith – 2.80
2. Jack Watts – 2.82
3. Stephen Hill – 2.83
4. Nicholas Naitanui – 2.86
5. Tom Swift – 2.89

6. Ryan Shoenmakers – 2.90
7. Nick Heyne – 2.91
=7. Sam Blease – 2.91
9. Luke Shuey – 2.92
=9. Taylor Hunt – 2.92
=9. Matthew DeBoer – 2.92

What exactly are you highlighting there? If anything you're just backing up how important speed actually is.

Nicnats speed is what makes him such a great and unique ruckman.

Whilst Shuey stands out like dogs balls in our midfield because he is literally the only player who can break the lines and carry the football.

Smith is a special case because he simply never used his speed. They obviously have to be able to use it.

What exactly are you highlighting there? If anything you're just backing up how important speed actually is.

Nicnats speed is what makes him such a great and unique ruckman.

Whilst Shuey stands out like dogs balls in our midfield because he is literally the only player who can break the lines and carry the football.

Smith is a special case because he simply never used his speed. They obviously have to be able to use it.

Swift is in that mix as well.

I think the points are:
  • it's a one-off test,
  • many players who test multiple times get scores which vary significantly,
  • it only represents a player's peak speed, not their realistic in-game speed after 100 minutes of running,
  • it says nothing about agility (which is arguably far more useful in creating space),
  • it predicts good players about as successfully as it predicts bad players, which suggests that perhaps it doesn't really predict anything at all.

EDIT: I'm also skeptical that it indicates breakaway speed in game, after all if you are 0.1 second ahead of someone after running 20 metres and you have to take a bounce, they're still gonna tackle you.

The man who will replace McGinnity as a tagger.

No wonder we only gave McGinnity a one year deal.

Tough, strong, competitive, huge endurance (16.8 beep test) - Can see him as a run-with player.

The man who will replace McGinnity as a tagger.

No wonder we only gave McGinnity a one year deal.

Tough, strong, competitive, huge endurance (16.8 beep test) - Can see him as a run-with player.

Lots of goals in his highlights, defensive forward?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 66 suggests he obviously has defincies in his game but he looks a very likely type and someone who could become a pretty handy player
Alternatively it might suggest that he doesn't have any outstanding attributes (outside of endurance).
His highlights are pretty damn impressive- kicks goals, takes marks and seems to be pretty clean with his disposal.
Really like this pick.

round 1 bolter. Already getting touted as dream team gold. He will be only 1 I see breaking into side in 2015. others will need 2 or 3 gym years.

Where is the pace and/or X factor in all of that? Small and slow appears the way to go

Maginness and Newman are lightning. I think Colledge has decent pace also. In any case you have to include Yeo in any analysis given his age.

Duggan also is an incredibly damaging player.

Last edited:
Averaged 28 disposals, 5tackles and kicked 8 goals in 2 finals.
I really like Cavka but didn't notice he was still around as I had him going much earlier, mid 30ish.

My favorite grab from the WCE recruiting team all night. Couldn't call his name out fast enough and almost had a chubby.

Maginness and Newman are lightning. I think Colledge has decent pace also. In any case you have to include Yeo in any analysis given his age.

Duggan also is an incredibly damaging player.

We've talked about this before. Name one instance, apart from his one tunbridge esque highlight against the gold coast, where Newman has used this apparent pace? Lightning you say? I've been doubtful about that for a long time, even more so now he's 'huge'. None of his highlights showed it.

I could very well be wrong about Maginness though as i've seen next to nothing of him, so if you say so. Colledge, i think looks incredibly slow. Really.

Can't argue with Yeo obviously, but he never included Yeo into his 'future gun midfield'

Recruiters would need to look no further than the tape of Calder’s qualifying final victory for a showcase of Cavka’s running ability.

Cavka put on a masterclass through the middle of the ground and across half forward, booting five goals and gathering 31 disposals.
First half if anyone wants to sit down and watch it (couldn't find highlights or the second half):

Remove this Banner Ad

Back