List Mgmt. Welcome Kane Lucas Pick 10 2014 Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Really Lucas should only be playing next year if one of the two situations occur

a) We are playing finals and had a few injuries throughout the season and the team benefits much more from playing Lucas than one of the players drafted in the last 3 seasons ie youngens are injured or aren't close to ready. Also requires Lucas to be in stellar form to warrant selection.

b) We are out of finals contention and have had a s**t tonne of injuries and require his services.

can't blame Simpson for the abundance of spuds on our list.

can blame Simpson for proving tactically inept at securing games that were all but won on multiple occasions last season

Really?

It was well covered in media and several players and the coach admitted in interviews that for a good first half of the season the team struggled with the new game plan and were not really picking the best options in when to slow the game down and retain the ball and when to break and attack.

By the end of the year we were starting to settle into it and make better decisions at the right stage of the game.

So looking at Simpson's first season at the Eagles AND his first season as a senior coach you would give him and the side a C grade IMO.

What I think is promising is all those games we should have won it doesn't take much to turn that into a win. We played some bad football at times and selecting three rucks was a failure in hindsight but then we still have Lycett.

If Lycett and Naitanui get to play 20+ games next year and play well we are heading up the ladder. This and mastering the game plan is where I can see us improving in 2015.

"Mature-age rookie Kane Lucas has been elevated to the senior list ahead of West Coast's first round clash with the Western Bulldogs on Saturday night.

Recruited from Carlton in the pre-season ballot last year, Lucas has impressed through the summer and particularly through the NAB series and early games at East Perth."

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2015-04-03/lucas-elevated

What are people's thoughts on him and what he's shown over the preseason, NAB Cup and in the WAFL?

Went okay in the Wafl as you would expect any Afl player to,( i remember Mcginnity and Buttman regularly getting 30 touches in the Wafl). I think he will crumble under the pressure of Afl as that has been the biggest knock on him that he cant perform under pressure.
IMO unless he impresses he will be replaced in 3-4 rounds when Duggs has enough fitness for Afl

i've got no real complaints with the decision, having no real idea where newman's at for fitness and form. they were the most likely candidates i'd reckon.

i'd rather see lucas getting a game then mcginnity to be honest.

Hope he does well but tell me again why we delisted Dalziell (not that I disagree with that) to replace him a year later with Lucas.

More of the same in going back to the well for inferior water. Given how well Lamb and Jackson are going and the raps on Cavka, surely we should have cut deeper and taken more young talent in the National and Rookie drafts.

The drafting of Lucas was an act of treading water and removed the chance (albeit low) of finding a Cox, Lynch etc. Upgrading him does nothing for us long term.

More of the same in going back to the well for inferior water. Given how well Lamb and Jackson are going and the raps on Cavka, surely we should have cut deeper and taken more young talent in the National and Rookie drafts.

The drafting of Lucas was an act of treading water and removed the chance (albeit low) of finding a Cox, Lynch etc. Upgrading him does nothing for us long term.

i take your point but as he's already on the list, in the short term he helps us get over the line against the teams we should (dogs) while we wait on younger players to be fully fit and ready. simpson is showing already he's willing to give them a run, though not by overloading the team with inexperience.

Looking forward to Lucas proving all you naysayers wrong.

He always wanted to come to West Coast - he was tanking this year so we could pick him up on the cheap.

His mum is good friends with Adam Simpson's wife, so I'm pretty sure this was all planned.

Primed for a big career turnaround.
Bump

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For what it's worth, Lucas isn't as bad as some Carlton supporters suggest. One of those 'Too good for VFL, not good enough for AFL' type players but will play a few blinders every now and then. Serviceable player, just needs a bit of consistency.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back