List Mgmt. Welcome Kane Lucas Pick 10 2014 Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry to intrude here, but I have to ask. Are you guys genuinely happy with this player? Do you think he will be another Brad Dalziell?

I'm reasonably happy with Lucas as a rookie pick I think wce can get Kane playing some good footy and maybe getting a upgrade in 12 months time .If he has a good run with injuries which is what has has held him back and of course a strong Carlton midfield ..

I'm reasonably happy with Lucas as a rookie pick I think wce can get Kane playing some good footy and maybe getting a upgrade in 12 months time .If he has a good run with injuries which is what has has held him back and of course a strong Carlton midfield ..

From what it seems the arrival of Daisy Thomas to play that winger / outside role pushed Lucas out of the side and Maulthouse rates Thomas as more important than Lucas in the team structure. Lucas needs to work on his defensive running and tackling no doubt and stay injury free. Improve his inside game.

So do was invest our last pick in the rookie draft on a ex pick 12 with 40 games experience and with some injury history (minor) or go for a longshot smokie?

I'm happy to use our last rookie picks on recycled players, the Swans do it better than anyone and I don't hear anyone bagging them out with this strategy.

Likelihood he actually plays and contributes is pretty low. Really a 'break glass in case of emergency' type, as we saw our depth severely tested when we had our annual run of significant injuries.

From what it seems the arrival of Daisy Thomas to play that winger / outside role pushed Lucas out of the side and Maulthouse rates Thomas as more important than Lucas in the team structure. Lucas needs to work on his defensive running and tackling no doubt and stay injury free. Improve his inside game.

So do was invest our last pick in the rookie draft on a ex pick 12 with 40 games experience and with some injury history (minor) or go for a longshot smokie?

I'm happy to use our last rookie picks on recycled players, the Swans do it better than anyone and I don't hear anyone bagging them out with this strategy.

Kane played 17 games in 2013 and actually got a :eek: Brownlow vote for his 33 disposal game v Collingwood and he has also got a career high 9 tackles in a game v WB in 2014 so not as bad as I first thought aslo is a good height at 188 cm and 83 kg ,

The List of players that started their careers at other AFL Clubs would suggest that WCE didn't do too bad.

Yeo
Wellingham
Cripps
Kennedy
Ellis
Hill
Tunbridge
Hutchens
Bennell
Lucas
That doesn't suggest anything to me Johnno22 because that group have achieved nothing. Being harsh, I know, but we have to compare against something.

Kane played 17 games in 2013 and actually got a :eek: Brownlow vote for his 33 disposal game v Collingwood and he has also got a career high 9 tackles in a game v WB in 2014 so not as bad as I first thought aslo is a good height at 188 cm and 83 kg ,
Good size, nice pace

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if we have guys like mcginnity, hutchings & wellingham getting regular games (which we do) then i dont see why kane lucas can't get a start in our line up.

can't recall us ever having so many hacks on our list at the one time though.

if we have guys like mcginnity, hutchings & wellingham getting regular games (which we do) then i dont see why kane lucas can't get a start in our line up.

can't recall us ever having so many hacks on our list at the one time though.
Thought you said that with our list and draw last season Simpson failed in not getting us to finals. Now you're saying you can't remember us ever having so many hacks on our list, maybe Simmo didn't do so badly after all

Good size, nice pace

He has okay pace, I would say AFL pace. Not fast, not slow. Engine is questionable as he tends to fade out of games. From what I saw at Carlton he was played purely as an outside player, which does not actually play to his strengths because he is going up against faster players with better skills. I think the (potential) upside is he never played in the position he did at u18 level - in the centre square. Maybe injuries prevented that or Carlton just preferred more hardened players.

He has okay pace, I would say AFL pace. Not fast, not slow. Engine is questionable as he tends to fade out of games. From what I saw at Carlton he was played purely as an outside player, which does not actually play to his strengths because he is going up against faster players with better skills. I think the (potential) upside is he never played in the position he did at u18 level - in the centre square. Maybe injuries prevented that or Carlton just preferred more hardened players.
So they broke Lucas just like we broke Masten.

I doubt Lucas will spend much time in the centre square for us. Masten was a gun u18 contested player but that side of his game has very much atrophied under a west coast regime.

I doubt Lucas will spend much time in the centre square for us. Masten was a gun u18 contested player but that side of his game has very much atrophied under a west coast regime.

I think it atrophied when the AFL changed the rules to advantage Sydney's big bodied players. The old fashioned rover is dead.

Or the fact that masten stopped growing at 12 and every other inside mid is much bigger than him . He is just too light and gets pushed off the ball . He also craps himself when he gets tackled and has no composure . This crapping of pants and light frame can only be attributed to one thing

Wheat grass shakes ! Damn hipsters

Does he survive more than a season if he doesn't get a game next year? I would be expecting him to prove himself pretty quickly if he wants to be retained. Not necessarily as a superstar but at least pushing for selection and providing some good depth.

He's genuinely fast going off his highlights.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back