Western Bulldogs v GWS Giants - A new rivalry?

Remove this Banner Ad

jpsmith

Draftee
Oct 6, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Ryan Griffen is the latest Dog to jump ship and join the Giants, joining former teammates Callan Ward and Dylan Addison. Along with senior coach Leon Cameron, development coach Sam Reid and senior assistant coach Alan McConnell are all ex-dogs players.

The two clubs last two games have been decided by just 6 and 17 points respectively. Both clubs are relatively similar in performance and ladder position. The premiership window will be open around the same time for the two with the enormous talent they both have with their young lists.

I feel utter distain for GWS - very different to a rivalry. I don't care if they beat us as they have been gifted the earth and damn well should. I feel satisfied when we beat them but more in an "up yours Demetriou" kind of vibe than anything about their soulless club. Only rivalry I genuinely feel is creepy IanW on here who I will happily follow from thread to thread to poke the bear.. As I think it through though; even that is more for my own amusement than any real desire to engage with the muppet and his merry band.

I'd prefer we just don't acknowledge their existence.
North and St Kilda are our rivals, Essendon and Richmond to a lesser extent. Rivalries between 2 interstate teams don't really work, WCE Sydney was great for about 3-4 years then it tapered off once both clubs dropped out of the 8 by 08-09. Only one I can see working over the years is Collingwood/Brisbane due to the Fitzroy heritage and past histories. Sydney Hawthorn will never get to lofty heights imo once one of those sides drops out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know why people are against it, would love for this to create a rivalry between us. Having tough, heated games with a little back and forth during the week to build it up and have more people interested can only be a good thing.

Meh. If it happens, it happens. Don't try to fabricate some synthesised 'Battle of the Bridge' (lol) rivalry that will never be heartily endorsed by the players. A true rivalry has to start naturally, and build naturally, without snide comments on Twitter or media beat up attempting to flog the proverbial dead horse.

That said, that's not to say I'm not at all interested in a rivalry with GWS. Rivalries are good for footy, and I personally think our current rivalries are pretty superficial; perhaps not amongst our fans, but many of our current players have not experienced the St Kilda/Adelaide/North etc hatred in the same way many of us have. The potential is there for a great rivalry but it needs to continue to build without artificial stoking of the fire.

Rivalries at a whole club level only existed when players were predominantly from the same area as the club. Hard to generate on-field rivalries amongst players that in many instances have known each other through under-age teams. The fans maintain any rivalries these days more than players, although the WA and SA derbies do a fair job at it, but it seems it's the local players rather than expats who invest more in them emotionally. I'd also rather just ignore the so-called "Giants" - they won't be around long enough for any rivalries with anyone anyway, being a feeder club is not a long-term proposition.

Hey people. I've been checking out this forum for literally a few years now, and I've finally decided to contribute something to it! I have a question: am I the only person who thinks that, possibly, when the Bulldogs changed their name to 'Western Bulldogs' that maybe the AFL suggested to them that if their position became untenable that they would be able to relocate to Western Sydney? Ever since GWS came into the AFL, that's what I've thought actually. Especially after David Smorgon spoke about 1997 and said that it was crazy, because the Bulldogs were having one of their best years ever, and yet he was on the phone to the bank every single day saving the club from financial disaster.

Since the Bulldogs' position seemed pretty perilous at that time, I think that maybe the AFL was prepared to relocate them rather than lose them altogether or effectively lose them in a merger, and the name change may have had something to do with that. This is just a little theory anyway! David Smorgon kept their terrible financial position well concealed that year, so he could have kept this concealed also!

P.S. I don't think that I'll be a terribly active user, because I don't live in Australia, so can't watch games or anything, but .... who knows!

Hey people. I've been checking out this forum for literally a few years now, and I've finally decided to contribute something to it! I have a question: am I the only person who thinks that, possibly, when the Bulldogs changed their name to 'Western Bulldogs' that maybe the AFL suggested to them that if their position became untenable that they would be able to relocate to Western Sydney? Ever since GWS came into the AFL, that's what I've thought actually. Especially after David Smorgon spoke about 1997 and said that it was crazy, because the Bulldogs were having one of their best years ever, and yet he was on the phone to the bank every single day saving the club from financial disaster.

Since the Bulldogs' position seemed pretty perilous at that time, I think that maybe the AFL was prepared to relocate them rather than lose them altogether or effectively lose them in a merger, and the name change may have had something to do with that. This is just a little theory anyway! David Smorgon kept their terrible financial position well concealed that year, so he could have kept this concealed also!

P.S. I don't think that I'll be a terribly active user, because I don't live in Australia, so can't watch games or anything, but .... who knows!
they need a team in the west of melbourne as much (if not, more) as they need one in the west of sydney.

This is a wasted thread. They deserve to be plundered by us and others next year. The rivalry won't last long as they will lose too many players.

I feel utter distain for GWS - very different to a rivalry. I don't care if they beat us as they have been gifted the earth and damn well should. I feel satisfied when we beat them but more in an "up yours Demetriou" kind of vibe than anything about their soulless club. Only rivalry I genuinely feel is creepy IanW on here who I will happily follow from thread to thread to poke the bear.. As I think it through though; even that is more for my own amusement than any real desire to engage with the muppet and his merry band.
Meh. If it happens, it happens. Don't try to fabricate some synthesised 'Battle of the Bridge' (lol) rivalry that will never be heartily endorsed by the players. A true rivalry has to start naturally, and build naturally, without snide comments on Twitter or media beat up attempting to flog the proverbial dead horse.

That said, that's not to say I'm not at all interested in a rivalry with GWS. Rivalries are good for footy, and I personally think our current rivalries are pretty superficial; perhaps not amongst our fans, but many of our current players have not experienced the St Kilda/Adelaide/North etc hatred in the same way many of us have. The potential is there for a great rivalry but it needs to continue to build without artificial stoking of the fire.
Rivalries at a whole club level only existed when players were predominantly from the same area as the club. Hard to generate on-field rivalries amongst players that in many instances have known each other through under-age teams. The fans maintain any rivalries these days more than players, although the WA and SA derbies do a fair job at it, but it seems it's the local players rather than expats who invest more in them emotionally. I'd also rather just ignore the so-called "Giants" - they won't be around long enough for any rivalries with anyone anyway, being a feeder club is not a long-term proposition.
Maybe the AFL could have a "Contempt Round" as well as the much-contrived "Rivalry Round"?

We would happily take on GWS.

I'm for it. Most Bulldogs supporters already hate them for all the crap so far. The hard part will be getting their supporters to hate us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back