Western Bulldogs v GWS Giants - A new rivalry?

Remove this Banner Ad

Griff won their 3k time trial, interesting, dont think he ever beat Cross or even Boyd when he was here, although he was injured this year when he would've been a chance to beat Boyd. Anyone remember how he went in the 2013 pre-season?
Griff never won our time trial.... Pretty bad for them he won the time trial.

That's the sad reality isn't it. Where are the teams lining up to be rivals with us? We've had 90 years in this league to manufacture/create at least one - yet none exist.
We've had rivalries with several clubs over the years.
North, Richmond and Adelaide in the 90s. St Kilda, Geelong and the Hawks in the Eade years. Just to name a few.

Would the GWS flog(s) rack off and leave us in peace? We're not interested in your product. Entering into a rivalry with a club built on a rotting foundation of homesick Victorians would be moronic.

It's like dealing with one of those belligerent thickly-accented solar panel salesmen, when they just won't get off your doorstep.

Looking forward to 2015 as out of contract GWS players postpone talks with their "club" (soul-less entity, more like it), then hoping they are absolutely pillaged by every other club. Will be fun to watch.

If we are to have rivalries, I prefer them to be with clubs of history and substance. Qualities that are severely lacking in the feeder club from Sydney.

If we are to have rivalries, I prefer them to be with clubs of history and substance. Qualities that are severely lacking in the feeder club from Sydney.
How's that worked out for us so far?

Most of these rivalries only exist in the media these days anyway. A little coercion from GWS is probably enough for the vultures to pick it up & run with it. Particularly if we start climbing the ladder together.

The last rivalries I actually feel like the team had were Richmond & West Coast in the 90's. But back then you could beat the crap out of your rivals. Makes todays rivalries look pretty lame.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How's that worked out for us so far?

Ha! I concede your point. I'm taking a slightly longer term view of things tho, one where I see the large sharks of this competition pillaging their list.

We'll have a very good idea how this pans out by the end of this year.

What happened to all that garbage that Griff was going to take a pay cut? It wasn't about the money, he just wanted to get away?

Now he's on a monster contract himself which we are funding a disproportionate of. I understand and support what the club has done, but the crap Griff & his management sold during the trade period makes my blood boil. Why isn't Caro highlighting Griff's hypocracy? Are they all worried that he might cry?

Yeah I'm pretty pissed the media didn't burn Griffen more, he should have gotten hell and has gotten out of this situation so lightly.... Until we play GWS and I personally try my best to make up for that, nothing's off limits, just slightly short of physical abuse anyway :p

Looking forward to 2015 as out of contract GWS players postpone talks with their "club" (soul-less entity, more like it), then hoping they are absolutely pillaged by every other club. Will be fun to watch.
Dylan Shiel already has.

Not sure why they took so many Vic kids where the go home factor is much higher than SA kids, but there you go.

pretty much we had to in order to reach the cap.. so who gives a ****?

I dont care as I am confident we can fit it in the cap next year and fit boyd in cap in future years without too much problems.
Changes in rules that allow you to pay over the cap when in years previous you pay under make it flexible and a deal number of our young blokes are signed away until the backend of boys contract which is front ended.

BUT

Having a look at Phantom drafts I would love to know how hard we tried to get more from them after giving up so much.
They have pick 23...
Did we try getting it
Did we try swapping for one of our picsk in the 40's
Did we try swapping it with our higgins compo for a 4 pick jump

All thos sort of things enter my mind - could have we got just that little more given all we gave up.

I dont care as I am confident we can fit it in the cap next year and fit boyd in cap in future years without too much problems.
Changes in rules that allow you to pay over the cap when in years previous you pay under make it flexible and a deal number of our young blokes are signed away until the backend of boys contract which is front ended.

BUT

Having a look at Phantom drafts I would love to know how hard we tried to get more from them after giving up so much.
They have pick 23...
Did we try getting it
Did we try swapping for one of our picsk in the 40's
Did we try swapping it with our higgins compo for a 4 pick jump

All thos sort of things enter my mind - could have we got just that little more given all we gave up.
They only got 23 off Melbourne after the Boyd deal went through.

It was a bit of a s**t/shrewd move on their behalf.
All the talk prior was that Melbourne would take Frost in the rookie draft, I don't think anyone expected them to trade pick 23 for him.

Nothing would make me happier !
Not entirely sure there will be anymore than 2 or 3 go though.
I think theyw ill keep cameron but lose a Shiel and WHE type

First WB Vs GWS clash this year is going to be a nasty, nasty affair.

Good.

Didn't want to derail the Garlick thread (oops, too late!), but just on the post above from that closed thread:

TBH, I hope it's a game devoid of any nastiness, on or off field. I would prefer (assuming either of them have the balls to turn up) that any shots at goal by the two ex-players are greeted by massed turning of backs and silence by our fans than any boo-ing or abuse (in spite of any of my previously expressed sentiments!).

I also hope we win convincingly.

I still look forward to their fan-base (not sure if a collective noun should be used for one person though) facing the on-going prospect of their soul-less entity assuming the full-blown role of feeder service to real clubs, until the AFL are forced to concede defeat and wind them up, and allow the genuine footballing environment of Tasmania to be justifiably represented in the AFL directly.

I believe Shiel, and others, still have not put pen to paper?

Anyway, apologies for dredging up this thread, but I'm sure it would have been revived at some point prior to the clash this year...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back