What are dead giveaways that you won't like someone

Remove this Banner Ad

Also, people that 'don't understand' others who 'drink to get drunk.' Why the **** else would you drink?
Sometimes I wish I could have beers without getting pissed. It's not entirely about intoxication sometimes, it can be the taste and atmosphere and sense of doing nothing but chatting s**t that's good about drinking. Ya know

Arrogant people in fancy clothes stores, baristas, bouncers and bar staff thinking they are a hot s**t. Reality check - you are in a profession requiring little skill and get paid very little for doing it.
I love getting a coffee or trying on some jeans and feeling the pressures of smuggery seep in. Melbourne's favourite shopping experience is being offended and feeling guilty

Sometimes I wish I could have beers without getting pissed. It's not entirely about intoxication sometimes, it can be the taste and atmosphere and sense of doing nothing but chatting s**t that's good about drinking. Ya know
I drink, waaay too much but hate it when people want to have rounds for this reason, people should drink at their own pace. Nothing more annoying when you are only taking it easy and they come out with more drinks when you are only halfway through a pint.

I get that, sitting around and just talking s**t for hours can be great, but you don't really need alcahol to do that.

So you are saying that the only reason to drink is to get drunk.
Some, like me, have a drink because they reckon the taste is actually damned delicious.

If I was drinking purely to get drunk, I'd chug down a sack of goon.

I get that, sitting around and just talking s**t for hours can be great, but you don't really need alcahol to do that.
But the atmosphere of a pub and the accompaniment of a beer makes the s**t-talking a little different, it's hard to describe. I'm 20, I'm average, I obviously binge drink like most normal 20 year olds, so I'm not smack talking a genuine past-time of mine. I'm just saying, sometimes you feel like drinking at 3 o'clock but don't want to be ****ed up by 7pm.

But the atmosphere of a pub and the accompaniment of a beer makes the s**t-talking a little different, it's hard to describe. I'm 20, I'm average, I obviously binge drink like most normal 20 year olds, so I'm not smack talking a genuine past-time of mine. I'm just saying, sometimes you feel like drinking at 3 o'clock but don't want to be ****** up by 7pm.

Then drink slower. Surely the 'little different' aspect of the atmosphere is you being slightly pissed?

Then drink slower. Surely the 'little different' aspect of the atmosphere is you being slightly pissed?
*in hell mate, these condescending peggings of yours aren't doing your little everyman optimist look any good. Always in with the shut-down.

But the atmosphere of a pub and the accompaniment of a beer makes the s**t-talking a little different, it's hard to describe. I'm 20, I'm average, I obviously binge drink like most normal 20 year olds, so I'm not smack talking a genuine past-time of mine. I'm just saying, sometimes you feel like drinking at 3 o'clock but don't want to be ****** up by 7pm.

I don't consider 'drunk' as getting ****ed up. Slowly drinking just to get that hint of a buzz that allows a really great flow and honesty of conversation around mates is great. I prefer around a fire or generally outdoors at night for the best experience but each to their own. My post was about people who get high and mighty about not drinking. Not talking about people who just choose not to drink, obviously, if you're doing it for health reasons or just don't feel like it then good on you. I just feel there's a small group of people that need to let you know that drinking is beneath them.

****in hell mate, these condescending peggings of yours aren't doing your little everyman optimist look any good. Always in with the shut-down.
Do I have an everyman optimist look do I? Awesome. I shut it down because it made no sense... what else would change the atmosphere apart from the alcohol's effects? It's sure as hell not the glasses sitting there looking pretty on the table. Fill some up with ginger beer then if you want to replicate the atmosphere without getting pissed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some, like me, have a drink because they reckon the taste is actually damned delicious.

If I was drinking purely to get drunk, I'd chug down a sack of goon.

There are cheaper ways to enjoy a tasty drink than alcahol and better ways to get a buzz than downing goon.

Do I have an everyman optimist look do I? Awesome. I shut it down because it made no sense... what else would change the atmosphere apart from the alcohol's effects? It's sure as hell not the glasses sitting there looking pretty on the table. Fill some up with ginger beer then if you want to replicate the atmosphere without getting pissed.
What else would change the atmosphere? Setting is integral to atmosphere! As are items and people and perceptions. Certain scenarios are far more conducive to types of conversation than others, that is totally normal, and maybe being pissed has a bit to do with it, but even when you're not feeling anything, a licensed venue will always skew a certain mood – it's like going to a gig. It doesn't matter if you're pissed or drunk, there's an atmosphere that guides certain conversation and little elements that come together.

It is not that ludicrous.

There are cheaper ways to enjoy a tasty drink than alcahol and better ways to get a buzz than downing goon.
Couldn't particularly care if there are cheaper ways.

I like good beer. I like good red. I like good bourbon. And I like good Scotch.

As for the latter, I haven't done the whole goon thing for about eight years. I'm not 18 anymore.

What else would change the atmosphere? Setting is integral to atmosphere! As are items and people and perceptions. Certain scenarios are far more conducive to types of conversation than others, that is totally normal, and maybe being pissed has a bit to do with it, but even when you're not feeling anything, a licensed venue will always skew a certain mood – it's like going to a gig. It doesn't matter if you're pissed or drunk, there's an atmosphere that guides certain conversation and little elements that come together.

It is not that ludicrous.

Yes, if you're sitting in a pub instead of an office, that is going to change conversation. Personally though, I don't think there would be much difference if you went to a pub and drank water, and if you went to a pub and drank beer but it didn't make you pissed. I think that's what you're saying, anyway.

The whole reason things change is because a) you know that drinking beer is going to make you pissed, and b) it does actually make you pissed. I.e., when you're on your first beer, a certain type of mood is set because you know later things will be sloppy. It has everything to do with its effects.

Im sorry but I don't understand the point of drinking not to get intoxicated or feel its effects. Especially beers. If I have only one or two I first feel like having more and if I cant cos Im driving or whatever I just end up feeling bloated, sleepy and generally s**t and its day/night ruined. If Im in the sun I get a headache. Plus its massively full of calories. If Im drinking something just for taste, I can think of many more healthier and tastier alternatives. Down a couple of beers quick though, and its on if theres more alcohol available. The intoxication takes over and its happy days. Its zero beers or 6 for me.

Last edited:
What beers do you normally drink?

Dry beers. Carlton Dry or Super Dry is my stock. Do like Bright Ale though. Hate heavy, dark beers. Just makes me feel bloated and s**t. Guess its probably just my stomach.

I think Coronas are foul. Same goes for Heinekens. Just cant drink them.

I also think that any beer that is classified 'boutique' is actually code for " this is cats piss, we cant sell it cos its so bad, but we're gonna trick you into thinking its amazing and charge you gullible idiots top dollar"

The whole "Do you drink to get drunk" topic deserves a whole thread on its own.

In my late teens and early 20s it was definitely drink to get drunk. In my 30's those days happen rarely and itdsnow drink to relax and the nice buzz that comes with that. I definitely agree the buzz helps with conversation and overall sense of well being.

Its simply a case of each to their own, personally I am always a little weary of those who are past their mid 20's who have to get wasted everytime they drink, just as like I am weary of those who refuse to drink because "They don't need it".In both cases I am unlikely to have much in common with either person, especially if they feel the need to broadcast their choices repeatedly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back