What are dead giveaways that you won't like someone

Remove this Banner Ad

When they talk about themselves in the third person.

Jimmy.jpg
Jimmy does not like this !

In cricket, batsmen have become batters, drives me round the f***ing bend.
s**t like "quarterback position" or "sweeper" or any borrowed, ill-fitting term like that in Aussie Rules annoys me. A lot of half backs have great distribution skills and of course they're going to be used to skilfully hit a target and set up an inside 50. Just like 'sweeper' is a pointless interchangeable for terms that already exist and fit well into the game. Honestly, is "striker" next?

And this relates to another point: people who hate America. They hate Americans. They think all Americans drive pick ups, hate blacks, love war, and are total feral rednecks. This is despite the fact they'll usually love Hollywood films and think New York's the coolest. It's amazing how many people are liberal, all for bringing in asylum seekers, Aboriginal rights, rally for decent things but then proceed to slag off a country as diverse as the US. Shits me to no end.

s**t like "quarterback position" or "sweeper" or any borrowed, ill-fitting term like that in Aussie Rules annoys me. A lot of half backs have great distribution skills and of course they're going to be used to skilfully hit a target and set up an inside 50. Just like 'sweeper' is a pointless interchangeable for terms that already exist and fit well into the game. Honestly, is "striker" next?

And this relates to another point: people who hate America. They hate Americans. They think all Americans drive pick ups, hate blacks, love war, and are total feral rednecks. This is despite the fact they'll usually love Hollywood films and think New York's the coolest. It's amazing how many people are liberal, all for bringing in asylum seekers, Aboriginal rights, rally for decent things but then proceed to slag off a country as diverse as the US. Shits me to no end.

Um, coming from the Grand-Master of stereotyping and generalisations himself?

pot+calls+kettle+black.png

For some reason I don't mind sweeper or quarterback when it comes to AFL. I know I should hate it, but I reckon it's because developments in the modern game have created a position that wasn't really there previously. 'HB with good skills' doesn't quite describe the role. So the easiest thing to do is just borrow from another sport.

Uhhh when have I ever stereotyped an entire country? There's a gulf of difference between saying "s**t clothes, man" and saying an entire nation fits under about 15 checkpoints.
You have to admit you do use stereotypes a lot in your posts. I reckon you've been pretty dismissive of eastern suburbs people and such which isn't a country but still encompasses a shitload of people. I hate it when people say they hate Americans too, it's just plain lazy more than anything.

Silent Alarm is a nonce, but people do have funny attitudes towards 'murica.

It's an interesting place, a lot more diverse than Australia.

As far as travellers go abroad, we're kidding ourselves if we think we aren't just as painful in most cases. Aussies are still trading off 1980s Paul Hogan era good will which is rapidly running out.

Sounds like you would get along fantastically with 'Mantis' :)

SA is a good poster, he calls things as he sees them, the fact that he pisses a lot of people off makes it better.

Anyway, people who go to uni/have a full time job but still live with their parents and expect them to pay for everything.

Told my mate that my car was costing me $1100 to fix and he goes;

"Oh you have to pay for that?"

For some reason I don't mind sweeper or quarterback when it comes to AFL. I know I should hate it, but I reckon it's because developments in the modern game have created a position that wasn't really there previously. 'HB with good skills' doesn't quite describe the role. So the easiest thing to do is just borrow from another sport.
But you're a pretty s**t half back if you don't have a tidy kick and a decent ability to get the ball to a winger or midfielder. Aside from shutting down defenders it's all about distributing the ball out and having a bit of a run out. It just shits me more than anything. How does 'quarterback' describe the role any better? They don't throw it or directly pass it to a player who kicks goals directly. If anything, I think it's lazy – like when he's "the next Lenny Hayes" or "like a Luke Hodge with a bit of Pendlebury about him." Describe the skills they share, say how they use the ball or how they can read the flight of the ball.

As for sweeper, isn't that basically just a loose defender like Michael Johnson? Picking up the loose ball, going to whatever contest needs it, getting it out into the midfield... Loose defender or whatever works fine.

You have to admit you do use stereotypes a lot in your posts. I reckon you've been pretty dismissive of eastern suburbs people and such which isn't a country but still encompasses a shitload of people. I hate it when people say they hate Americans too, it's just plain lazy more than anything.
It's not really serious though, I won't not talk to someone because they're from the east. It's more just an easy way to talk about a greater Australian issue; the sprawling, lifeless, uninspiring suburbs that riddle every big town in the country. Pretty much all of my Melbourne mates grew up between Camberwell and Ringers, it's not a serious thing.

And anyway, this is a thread literally about using stereotypes to dismiss people! Of course no one likes rude pricks or arrogance and nice gestures! What a banal thread this'd be otherwise. Everyone is judgemental and vain, being a namby pamby middleman who mediates the mediated opinions is boring. Why perpetuate those things on a forum? Everyone does them in real life, surely this is the place to facelessly bring up little irks and opinions you wouldn't usually in face to face life.

People who can't let 'gender' terms be used anywhere - 'chairman' is now 'chairwoman' if you're female, as was noted earlier in the thread 'batsman' is now 'batter'...jesus christ it's not oppressing anyone, it's basically a 'figure of speech', go to a lot of Africa, the Middle East or some of the Pacific Islands if you want to make a bit of difference to feminism

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmmm
- People who smell bad (obviously didn't make an effort with hygiene)
- Bogans
- People who think they are tough s**t when clearly they are not
- Neck tattoos
- Not cleaning up after yourself (applies if you live with someone else)
- people who have no consideration for others
- people who have bad breath
- Judgmental people (kind of hypocritical because of the list of things im listing which makes it seem like I'm judging them)
- Lying unnecessarily to make a story/point more extravagant
- Spitting in front of me
- People that owe me money but avoid me

People that complain about the 'Americanisation of our language'.
inb4 someone changes what you said to Americanization and thinks that they're being funny.

That's another thing that indicates that a person is a flog... they make the obvious joke every single time.

you mean kinda like exactly what you just did?
It seems like you read the original post, thought it would be funny to write 'Americanization' in a response but then you saw my post and now you feel bad about yourself.

It seems like you read the original post, thought it would be funny to write 'Americanization' in a response but then you saw my post and now you feel bad about yourself.
nah i was gonna write "inb4 someone changes what you said to Americanization and thinks that they're being funny.", actually.

I went to Coles on Saturday morning. Bought a litre of olive oil, some cleaning products, a kilo of Bega cheddar cheese. These are just the highlights, I bought other stuff too. Fountain sauce was on special. $1 for 600mL. What a bargain. Used one of the small trolleys that pensioners use because I knew I wouldn't buy that much stuff but I might overfill a basket and that would be heavy. Started off at the end with all the condiments and health foods just past the fruit and veg section then snaked my way along until the dairy and frozen meat end. The checkouts were busy, the girl served me wasn't too chatty which was nice.

The above is a mind numbingly dull paragraph. When my mate rang me on Saturday morning asking if I was watching the North/Adelaide game the run down given was 'at Coles doing the shopping' which was more than sufficient.

If someone explained their grocery shopping to me as above I'd have the exact reaction I do as when they explain going to the gym in excrutiating detail.

If you're not careful dude, you're going to end up with your own Reality TV show. Then you get to appear on Sunrise once a week to tell people what to look out for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back