Music What are you listening to now?

Remove this Banner Ad

something i've done for a fair few years has been using last.fm to collate & create lil charts for what i've listened to and then write about what i liked/disliked that week, it's fun and it keeps me thinking about new music that i'd like to listen to!

The genres of music I tend to fall into listening to when I'm working end up being like idm/edm/breakcore, harsh noise & doom metal, all of which I think are great for doing different things.
collage.jpg

I have a feeling that a lot of music here (except besides primus, converge & devo) wouldn't be up the alley for a lot of people, but i'd recommend checking out some of it... such as the machine girl album (row 2 column 1). It's what would be deemed as digital hardcore (that being the progression of hardcore music from being traditional punk such as The Clash, Dead Kennedys or NoMeansNo into using the digital sampling element to create similarly counter-culture music, just focused on the actual digital/electronic sound as a way to provide a unique message to listeners.)

I hadn't really listened to primus much because frankly I thought their music was a bit of a shitpost, it's fun, but not serious, right? But Frizzle Fry was genuinely interesting and fun.

I suppose the outlier here is the band "sweet trip", with the (2 lol) album "Halica: Bliss out" which I think suits the title very well, it's really, really relaxing and calming. Sweet Trip,, who I think are probably my favourite alternative/independent band, have a few releases from 98' to last year (the 2022 release being unreleased projects, songs and demos etc) but their first 2 albums are probably two of the best pieces of music I've heard in their respective genres. Velocity: design: comfort is an experience in a crafted soundscape. It's dreamy, ethereal and downcast, in a hopeful way (if that makes sense lol) it goes for like 1.5 hours so it's an album you sit down and just relax to but I cannot recommend it enough. This is probably my favourite song from the album.

Their other album, "You Will Never Know Why" has a similar sound, dreamy, and ethereal, but loses the electronica focus for a more traditional indie pop sound (ala Sufjan Stevens or Arcade Fire) which I think doesn't work as good but there's a higher focus on singing and vocals which is nice & adds more depth to their sound, and shows how talented a genuinely underground band could be. This is probably my favourite song off this album.

I would happily nerd out more but I'd wager that I don't have much more to say

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mcgrath_truther thanks for timely reminder I need to revisit last.fm. I do love their widget capture of playlists, so much fun to be had.
it's so handy! i generally use it to just keep a reminder of what music i've listened to too much

Here's my 2nd (or near abouts) week posting this!

This week had some repeats from last week, namely 光の緒 (Untitled - Harsh Noise Wall) Sweet Trip (velocity; comfort; design, idm) and a couple of others.

Some of the highlights were Slowdive's selftitled album, an album and band that I truly love, though I don't think I'd love to see them perform live like they are in Brisbane soon (or it's happened, I don't really remember whoops). Out of all of these, I'd 100% recommend listening to "Wishes" by Asunojokei, who is a Japanese Post-punk/metalcore band. Obviously there is a language barrier but the technical performances by all the members is incredibly good!

Another highlight is ⣎⡇ꉺლ༽இ•̛)ྀ◞ ༎ຶ ༽ৣৢ؞ৢ؞ؖ ꉺლ - ʅ͡͡͡͡͡͡͡͡͡͡͡(ƟӨ)ʃ͡͡͡͡͡͡͡͡͡͡ ꐑ(ཀ ඊູ ఠీੂ೧ູ࿃ूੂ✧ළඕั࿃ूੂ࿃ूੂੂ࿃ूੂළඕั✧ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ɵੂ≢࿃ूੂ೧ູఠీੂ ඊູཀ ꐑ(ʅ͡͡͡͡͡͡͡͡͡͡͡(ƟӨ)ʃ͡͡͡͡͡͡͡͡͡͡ which is an house music album by the legendary British electronic producer Four Tet. It's an... interesting album? I think it's pretty calming and certainly something I've used to warm up before I go to the gym. It's only 2 tracks and I'll link it here, since it's a pain to find.

Booty Jamz, vol. 2 by Jesus Belluci (also known as a "member" of Limp Pumpo) is an incredibly unique insight into a genre called plunderphonics, which has some connections to Australian music (namely The Avalanches) which essentially means that the music itself is made up of other sounds, think of it as the extension of sampling, just to an extreme degree. It's a time capsule from like 2016 but I think it's great.

Lastly, there's two albums by Casper McFadden, who's an Chicago based Jungle/Breakcore producer. I think both of their albums on here, Audio Diary and Medicalmechania, are pretty okay, I think Audio Diary is much better and really fleshes out and explores the Jungle elements of electronic music. I generally wouldn't recommend starting here if you have any interest in listening to breakcore as a genre. It's a bit... unique and uh... odd? I don't have a better way to describe it, but the other main breakcore album here, by Machine Girl, named ...Because I'm Young Arrogant and Hate Everything You Stand For, which is a good entry and has a lot of energy.

An honorable mention also goes to Spiderland, by Slint. I'd say it's a pretty iconic post-rock/post-hardcore album that's notorious on the multitude of music websites on the internet. I think what I like the most about it personally is that it really highlights the uniqueness of post-x genres and how they really make their own sound based on the music that came before them. Nothing I could ever say could give it true justice, it's well worth a listen.
collage (1).jpg
Thanks for reading!

Time for another music screed by yours truly!

I think this week I listened to a lot of different genres of music (somewhat at least (and apologies for the pig destroyer album cover, it's a bit... of it's genre i suppose. a lot of grindcore/adjacent genre use edgy album covers for the sake of it.)

Some of my highlights this week have been Prowler in the Yard - Pig Destroyer. It's a pretty intense album and I think is revered as one of the cornerstones of Grindcore because it's short... mostly, compelling and truly hardcore. I really like it and encourage anyone who's a fan of metal music to do the same! It's worthwhile so long as you're able to move past the extremely graphic album art. As I finish writing this post I realised that I should censor that and another album which do display questionable content.

Another fascinating album was Windswept Adan (アダンの風) - Ichiko Aoba (青葉市子). It's a pretty relaxing & peaceful exploration of what feels and sounds like a beach adventure. It's something that I spent a fair while listening to while I begun preparing to do my taxes for the year. It was genuinely relaxing & I think it'd be more impactful if I spoke Japanese.

There's two references to the dark ambient musician Christoph De Babalon and his "Haunting past" (vol.1 and vol.2). They're an eclectic collection of a mix of electronic genres, such as Breakcore, Jungle, Dark Ambient & Drum n Bass. For what they are, and compared to his other work, namely one of my personal favourite albums If You're Into It, I'm Out Of It, it's not as good, but I still think for a collection of unreleased and mostly unused works they're both incredibly fascinating and brooding listens.

Dummy - Portishead is an amazing and groundbreaking album from the 90s, I'd wager that it was one of the introductory forces for the global recognition of Trip hop as a genre. It's ambient, gloomy and brooding and is a joy to listen to for the first time, and I wish I could do that again.

That's it! Thanks for reading
Inkedcollage.jpg

it's been a while, i've been absolutely flat out at work for the past few weeks, but i've got a few minutes free right now to type up a little nerd essay!

collage.php

This has been what I've listened to this month, and some of the highlights include When the Kite String Pops - Acid Bath, this album is a pretty fantastic piece of metal, super high energy and extremely fun to listen to. it's not the first time i've listened to it but it has been a while and it did help a huge amount to get work done when i put it on, would recommend.

Армагеддон-Попс - Гражданская Оборона is an extremely raw and violent punk album by some (russians) from the like 80s/90s, which i don't know anything about but it's extremely, extremely good. i can't really put it into words how it sounds beyond it being extremely angry.

the last one i'd like to highlight is bootleg(+) by Isyti. This album is an extremely interesting look into hardcore trance music. it's inspired, interesting and honestly amazing. if you're into high energy (mostly) remixes of some "classics" i'd recommend it absolutely.

the outlier here is "Livestream of Consciousness" by Lil Ugly Mane. it's a deep, deep dive into his hard drive and shows some of the absurdly deep amount of varied music that's sitting there rotting away. it's amazing, but i'd only recommend it if you're interested in exploring his music, perhaps listening to "uneven compromise" would be a better starting point.

That's all! See you (hopefully) much sooner than last time!

it's been a while, i've been absolutely flat out at work for the past few weeks, but i've got a few minutes free right now to type up a little nerd essay!

collage.php

This has been what I've listened to this month, and some of the highlights include When the Kite String Pops - Acid Bath, this album is a pretty fantastic piece of metal, super high energy and extremely fun to listen to. it's not the first time i've listened to it but it has been a while and it did help a huge amount to get work done when i put it on, would recommend.

Армагеддон-Попс - Гражданская Оборона is an extremely raw and violent punk album by some (russians) from the like 80s/90s, which i don't know anything about but it's extremely, extremely good. i can't really put it into words how it sounds beyond it being extremely angry.

the last one i'd like to highlight is bootleg(+) by Isyti. This album is an extremely interesting look into hardcore trance music. it's inspired, interesting and honestly amazing. if you're into high energy (mostly) remixes of some "classics" i'd recommend it absolutely.

the outlier here is "Livestream of Consciousness" by Lil Ugly Mane. it's a deep, deep dive into his hard drive and shows some of the absurdly deep amount of varied music that's sitting there rotting away. it's amazing, but i'd only recommend it if you're interested in exploring his music, perhaps listening to "uneven compromise" would be a better starting point.

That's all! See you (hopefully) much sooner than last time!

Acid Bath were fantastic for the very short time they were around.
I think I prefer Paegan Terrorism Tactics just a little more but you can't go wrong with either album.

Very eclectic within metal subgenres and at times pretty boundary pushing.

Also, their music finally being uploaded to Spotify was one good thing that came out of COVID.

Acid Bath were fantastic for the very short time they were around.
I think I prefer Paegan Terrorism Tactics just a little more but you can't go wrong with either album.

Very eclectic within metal subgenres and at times pretty boundary pushing.

Also, their music finally being uploaded to Spotify was one good thing that came out of COVID.
yeah one of my mates who's a big metal head told me to listen to em and it was great, really, really good music. when the kite string pops is def one of my favourite metal albums, up there with prowler in the yard, dopesmoker, dopethrone & あくまのうた (or Akuma no uta(by boris, their entire catalogue is unique because it's extensive and covers far too many subgenres)) just great music

Remove this Banner Ad

Back