What did you do today?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 13, 2012
Waiting for Josh Kelly #2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Title says it all. What did you get up to today? Get much work done? Witness anything out of the ordinary? Discovered something new?

Me, I woke up, spoke to my girlfriend while she got ready for work, then got ready for work myself. Spoke to my parents before leaving (they arrived home after a week of being in Queensland on holiday last night), then worked for a few hours at the local coffee shop. Didn't eat breakfast which was a bit of a mistake as I was getting very hungry smelling and seeing all the food our customers were ordering and eating. Close to my knock-off time, I spotted a chicken schnitzel in the bain-marie, thought 'beauty, i'll have a chicken gravy roll for lunch', literally the next customer to come in goes 'can i please have that chicken schnitzel?' Was a little pissed off.

Went home after work after catching up with my mum in town and going through all the photos she took on their holiday. She had some pics of the Gabba while they flew over Brisbane which she thought would be of interest to me, which it was. Got home, discovered a new litter of kittens that one of our cats have had, i'd say they're about two weeks old, very cute. Still hissing and scratching at anything that moves, but they entertained me for half an hour or so. Then I took my dog into the vet to get an abscess on his leg looked at, and he ended up staying the night to get it taken care of. Came home, had chicken parma for dinner, and here I am, watching the replay of Adelaide v Sydney from Round 11 on my Telstra T-Box (how did we lose to the Crows, twice!?)

TL;DR - didn't do much today

What about you?

Good to see Spitta2Azza getting into the spirit of things and starting a new thread. :thumbsu:

We all slept in here this morning (read 7:30am, so not really a sleep-in by anyone else's standards, but when you have energetic boys' like me anything after 6 o'clock in the morn' is worth getting excited about). Kids' scooted and I walked them to school. Wasn't working today, so came home, and alternated between housework, exercise, and computer-time for most of the day. I was supposed to have the pest control dude turn up but it was cancelled due to the shite weather. Kids' had after school sports program (Tennis) so I picked them up from that and then got them organized for Milo Cricket, which we biked/walked to. On the way home I went to the supermarket for groceries, and as per usual, bought too much and then struggled carrying them home. :confused: Twenty minutes after I got back it was time to pick boys' up from Cricket so off I went again. Figured between school, sport, etc. and the cross-trainer I've walked about 15kms. today. Pretty uneventful day all around, in fact I'm getting bored typing it all out.

To continue the chicken theme, we had crumbed chicken strips and vegies for tea. :thumbsu:

Had a pretty uneventful and bog standard work day today. Nothing much to report. Yesterday was more eventful, my work took me to the top of Mount Read on Tasmania's west coast, took a couple of photos from there in my flickr photostream here http://www.flickr.com/photos/bpolden/.

Access to Mount Read is limted as it is a Mine site, has communications towers and is the site of a stand of Huon Pine trees that are over 10,500 years old.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/features/the-oldest-tree/story-e6frg8h6-1226130673929

After work I played a now customary 9 holes of golf that a group of us have played every Tuesday night in daylight savings for about 20 years. The golf is pretty ordinary, but it is more a social get together anyway.

Days like yesterday are very occasional, but days like today would be the norm from me in this thread I'm afraid.

Had a pretty uneventful and bog standard work day today. Nothing much to report. Yesterday was more eventful, my work took me to the top of Mount Read on Tasmania's west coast, took a couple of photos from there in my flickr photostream here http://www.flickr.com/photos/bpolden/.

Access to Mount Read is limted as it is a Mine site, has communications towers and is the site of a stand of Huon Pine trees that are over 10,500 years old.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/features/the-oldest-tree/story-e6frg8h6-1226130673929

After work I played a now customary 9 holes of golf that a group of us have played every Tuesday night in daylight savings for about 20 years. The golf is pretty ordinary, but it is more a social get together anyway.

Days like yesterday are very occasional, but days like today would be the norm from me in this thread I'm afraid.
Sensational photos, Baz. Are you a professional photographer?

Sensational photos, Baz. Are you a professional photographer?

Not by a long shot, just an amateur with a bit of fairly cheap, but trusty, DSLR gear. I lug one of my cameras around with me when I get out and about for work (I work as a tech for a communications company) Blackshadow is the pro snapper around here, he does some fantastic live rock music stuff.

Not by a long shot, just an amateur with a bit of fairly cheap, but trusty, DSLR gear. I lug one of my cameras around with me when I get out and about for work (I work as a tech for a communications company) Blackshadow is the pro snapper around here, he does some fantastic live rock music stuff.
Well, the photos are stunning! And I did know that about Mr. Blackshadow, I've checked out his webpage. :thumbsu:

I did do some grocery shopping and i did pay a bill. I also baked an awesome cake.
Testing out my oven in my unit has been awesome.
I'm also wanting to go back to uni next year so i have been filling out forms and the doing all the boring stuff that goes with it.
The local uni here in ballarat has merged with monash uni in gippsland and have become federation uni australia. So it's getting exciting.

Lazy Wednesday, woke up in the late afternoon; called Parnell, just to see how he was doing.

Woke up at 5am when the fire alarm went off next to my hotel. Eventually managed to get back to sleep but struggled to wake again at 7am. Struggled through a few meetings in the morning and cracked the s***ts with some punks elsewhere in the office who are trying to stop me progressing a project. Told some members of the team that some work they did wasn't good enough and bought some Red Bull for some others who are working really hard right now.

Finished the day with dinner with a couple of work mates. We're working our way through the extensive list of ciders on the menu of a local restaurant. I don't know a lot about cider, but I'm enjoying the exploration. Eventually made it back to the hotel and spoke to my wife on the phone while sitting in my jocks posting on Big Footy.

Woke up at 5am when the fire alarm went off next to my hotel. Eventually managed to get back to sleep but struggled to wake again at 7am. Struggled through a few meetings in the morning and cracked the s***ts with some punks elsewhere in the office who are trying to stop me progressing a project. Told some members of the team that some work they did wasn't good enough and bought some Red Bull for some others who are working really hard right now.

Finished the day with dinner with a couple of work mates. We're working our way through the extensive list of ciders on the menu of a local restaurant. I don't know a lot about cider, but I'm enjoying the exploration. Eventually made it back to the hotel and spoke to my wife on the phone while sitting in my jocks posting on Big Footy.
Living the dream! :thumbsu:

Have got a day full of appointments and other things.
Had my appointment with my job agency mob just to keep them happy. Told them about my course that I have applied for. They offered to post it. Which was nice of them.
Then it got on to a discussion on whether or not I had a drivers license. I have got my learners just haven't really been bothered trying to take the next step. I can drive though.
Then it was onto whether or not I had applied for advertised work.
Anyway I won't go into too much detail. I have been looking everywhere.
Then on the way home I got off the bus and somebody's lost husky was there in front of me. He seemed to be friendly.
So I took a pic of him and tweeted it to my local radio station.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Went to the vet this morning with my parents to pick up my dog, then left to go to work. This old guy that frequents our shop was in for lunch, he smells terribly all the time, so much so that a few times our boss has had to go tell him to leave. Today, our staff were making little jokes amongst themselves about him, which I thought was rather rude, as I had never met him or served him before today, but when I delivered him his food I was greeted by the most awful smell i've ever dealt with from a human being. He then ate his food, sat there for an hour, changed seats to the other side of our shop as if he was trying to evenly distribute his smell around the place, then used our toilets, half an hour later he came out. Wasn't game going in there to see if a mess had been made.

Then i left, had my chicken schnitzel roll that I didn't get yesterday (f u Arden), came home, played with my dog, now i'm relaxing listening to music before I go out with my team tonight to play some mixed netball.

Went to the vet this morning with my parents to pick up my dog, then left to go to work. This old guy that frequents our shop was in for lunch, he smells terribly all the time, so much so that a few times our boss has had to go tell him to leave. Today, our staff were making little jokes amongst themselves about him, which I thought was rather rude, as I had never met him or served him before today, but when I delivered him his food I was greeted by the most awful smell i've ever dealt with from a human being. He then ate his food, sat there for an hour, changed seats to the other side of our shop as if he was trying to evenly distribute his smell around the place, then used our toilets, half an hour later he came out. Wasn't game going in there to see if a mess had been made.

Then i left, had my chicken schnitzel roll that I didn't get yesterday (f u Arden), came home, played with my dog, now i'm relaxing listening to music before I go out with my team tonight to play some mixed netball.
Just on bad smelling people. We had one guy who literally stank. He was pretty old and would forget to either change his underpants because he would soil them or not bother to wipe himself. Gross I know. But yeah every time he sat next to us (he was a goal umpire) people would move because the smell was unbearable. Even if you had to umpire with him we would have to put the fans on or get the gorund manager to get some air freshner.

Just on bad smelling people. We had one guy who literally stank. He was pretty old and would forget to either change his underpants because he would soil them or not bother to wipe himself. Gross I know. But yeah every time he sat next to us (he was a goal umpire) people would move because the smell was unbearable. Even if you had to umpire with him we would have to put the fans on or get the gorund manager to get some air freshner.

That's awkward.

I've always thought it must take a special kind of person to be an umpire. I've never umpired myself so tell me if you think it's nonsense....but it just seems so thankless - they cop so much abuse and even if they do a good job, no-ones going to say "wow ump, that was really awesome! Can I introduce you to my sister?" In fact, I made a cameo appearance in my mate's super rules team a year or two ago and made a point of telling the umps afterwards that they did a good job because I assumed no one else would.

The world needs umpires, so I'm glad they exist. Do you think there is something personality-wise (beyond love of the game) that draws them to take on such a thankless job?

Stuck at Brisbane airport for 3 hours with storms. Enough to make me hate my iPhone.

Just noticed your sig. You should be proud. I can only dream of such genius! :thumbsu:

Thanks, genius is pretty out of character for me :rolleyes:. T'was also recently discussed that others had mentioned asterix's before me, but it was noted that I was the one to call for it to be mandatory on our board:cool:, if that's genius, then I'll take it.

Thanks, genius is pretty out of character for me :rolleyes:. T'was also recently discussed that others had mentioned asterix's before me, but it was noted that I was the one to call for it to be mandatory on our board:cool:, if that's genius, then I'll take it.

I cant remember who said it, but someone famous said that the best idea is a stolen idea. Maybe it was Steve Jobbs. Whoever it was - he was genius.

I didn't have to put up with any exceptionally smelly people today, so...winning.

Worked from 9 to 4 and then the kids' had Cubs. Had dinner at the folks' and looked through Dad's record collection. Inherited my Pa's treasure trove of North memorabilia (old footy records, newspaper clippings, etc.) so looking forward to going through all of that later on. Actually, that was the highlight of my day. :D Joked with my father that I was the football-loving 'son' that he never had. I've two older brothers who both barrack for North but they're no way near as mad as what I am. :hearts::footy:

That's awkward.

I've always thought it must take a special kind of person to be an umpire. I've never umpired myself so tell me if you think it's nonsense....but it just seems so thankless - they cop so much abuse and even if they do a good job, no-ones going to say "wow ump, that was really awesome! Can I introduce you to my sister?" In fact, I made a cameo appearance in my mate's super rules team a year or two ago and made a point of telling the umps afterwards that they did a good job because I assumed no one else would.

The world needs umpires, so I'm glad they exist. Do you think there is something personality-wise (beyond love of the game) that draws them to take on such a thankless job?
It was very awkward. None of us goal umpires or any of the umpires could actually sit next to him.

Umpiring local footy is one of the toughest jobs to do. It's rewarding and you do get paid well and you do make heaps of mates but there are always the pitfalls which you have mentioned are the things that costs us umpires.
Apart from the abuse and the other negatives it's awesome to see the young talent coming through.

Umpiring local footy is one of the toughest jobs to do. It's rewarding and you do get paid well and you do make heaps of mates but there are always the pitfalls which you have mentioned are the things that costs us umpires.
Apart from the abuse and the other negatives it's awesome to see the young talent coming through.

Do you think there is anything that umpires have in common? I know this sounds like a loaded question, but it's not meant to be. Obviously you'd need a thick skin, but maybe there's more to it than that? I don't know...liking making decisions? Enjoying taking charge? Is it just good exercise for athletes who like to think while they work out? Are they just introduced to it by mates? It's just something I've always wondered.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back