What do Essendon stand for as a club? What is their culture, fanbase, what makes them unique?

Remove this Banner Ad

There is always mention of coateries and groups behind the scenes. Who are there people and why don’t they contribute to the club in an official capacity?
Interestingly, Eddie has said one of his greatest achievements as Pies President, was getting rid of all their coterie groups, because they felt pouring money into the club entitled them to influence how it should be run, and of course different coteries had different opinions and it split the club in all directions. He said once they were gone, and the club board was the sole decision maker, the club became more united and cohesive. Although it meant that he had to find money from elsewhere once the coteries were gone.

Old KM claimed we were clearly tanking as we sent Brock McLean to full forward.

I believe that happened v Richmond 2009 when Melbourne were tanking.

It was us tanking 2007, not Melbourne. We needed to lose in order to get a priority pick for winning 4 games or less for 2 years in a row, as we wanted to end up with picks 1 and 3 instead of just 3, as we knew we’d be getting Judd.

I believe that happened v Richmond 2009 when Melbourne were tanking.

It was us tanking 2007, not Melbourne. We needed to lose in order to get a priority pick for winning 4 games or less for 2 years in a row, as we wanted to end up with picks 1 and 3 instead of just 3, as we knew we’d be getting Judd.
Maybe KM used to be a Dees fan

The biggest and the best.

You can’t find a stereotype because there isn’t one.

Essendon doesn’t have class identity because we’re above that s**t. Everybody goes for Essendon.

Essendon doesn’t have geographic identity because we’re way too big for that. Everybody goes for Essendon.

The supporter group is enormous and absolutely everywhere, the numbers Essendon have after the past two decades of s**t are disgustingly massive. Other clubs would have been and have been nearly dead after a period like this.

We went to Launceston to play Hawthorn during COVID and the crowd was 3:1 in Essendon’s favour after Hawthorn spent 20 years working the place and selling their home games there. There are Essendon jumpers everywhere in the Top End. We have thousands of supporters in Perth. Our games at the Gabba (I’ve been to a few) are 50/50 in terms of the crowd.

When Essendon finally has success again it’ll be a juggernaut that dwarfs all others, just like it did 20 years ago. They all know it.

Oh and we’re now the most hated club by a ridiculous margin, which is nice. Check any of the polls that anyone starts. It’s not even slightly close.
The biggest and the best.

You can’t find a stereotype because there isn’t one.

Essendon doesn’t have class identity because we’re above that s**t. Everybody goes for Essendon.

Essendon doesn’t have geographic identity because we’re way too big for that. Everybody goes for Essendon.

The supporter group is enormous and absolutely everywhere, the numbers Essendon have after the past two decades of s**t are disgustingly massive. Other clubs would have been and have been nearly dead after a period like this.

We went to Launceston to play Hawthorn during COVID and the crowd was 3:1 in Essendon’s favour after Hawthorn spent 20 years working the place and selling their home games there. There are Essendon jumpers everywhere in the Top End. We have thousands of supporters in Perth. Our games at the Gabba (I’ve been to a few) are 50/50 in terms of the crowd.

When Essendon finally has success again it’ll be a juggernaut that dwarfs all others, just like it did 20 years ago. They all know it.

Oh and we’re now the most hated club by a ridiculous margin, which is nice. Check any of the polls that anyone starts. It’s not even slightly close.
Biggest lol!!!!!! Essendon have never been bigger than Collingwood. Collingwood just broke the all time attendance record and are averaging 75,000 to the mcg the year. Collingwood hold the top 7 all time go and away attendance records. Collingwood have the most supporters all over Australia

Biggest lol!!!!!! Essendon have never been bigger than Collingwood. Collingwood just broke the all time attendance record and are averaging 75,000 to the mcg the year. Collingwood hold the top 7 all time go and away attendance records. Collingwood have the most supporters all over Australia
Don’t get do easily offended GoPies 😄.
And of course Collingwood will have the crowd records, they play 14 games per year at the MCG.

I hate Essendon as much as anyone but Essendon in the 90s and particularly 99-01 were the biggest club. Theyd have probably averaged similarly high attendances to the pies this year if they hadn’t moved to docklands in 2000.

Basically any of the big 4 have huge fan bases that people seem to forget when they aren’t going as well. We seem to have tapped into much of our latent fan base very well over the past 4-5 years which has seen a massive increase in membership and also attendances (helped by being more competitive on field too.

I do think the pies attendances seem to hold better than other members of the big 4 when struggling though. Though they haven’t been as poor for as long a period over the last 40 years as Carlton, Richmond or even Essendon have been at times (96-00 was probably as close as they got to being as bad).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate Essendon as much as anyone but Essendon in the 90s and particularly 99-01 were the biggest club. Theyd have probably averaged similarly high attendances to the pies this year if they hadn’t moved to docklands in 2000.

Basically any of the big 4 have huge fan bases that people seem to forget when they aren’t going as well. We seem to have tapped into much of our latent fan base very well over the past 4-5 years which has seen a massive increase in membership and also attendances (helped by being more competitive on field too.

I do think the pies attendances seem to hold better than other members of the big 4 when struggling though. Though they haven’t been as poor for as long a period over the last 40 years as Carlton, Richmond or even Essendon have been at times (96-00 was probably as close as they got to being as bad).
The Pies attendances fall away as much as the other big 4 clubs. Go back to around 2015-17 I think, they were drawing between 22-29K to the MCG against interstate sides. They were getting poor crowds. The difference between Collingwood and the likes of Carlton and Essendon is they haven't endured a sustained period of failure like these clubs.

Given this is a Bombers thread, I’d say Essendon’s crowds and members had held up as impressively as any other club whilst navigating its down period. The saga year aside which is really an outlier year * given half the list couldn’t play, it’s base ‘floor’ crowds have arguably been as good as Collingwood’s. Even this year, it hasn’t drawn less than 30,000 at home (Giants - 29K - respectable) and its games at the MCG have drawn huge crowds in every case. Its membership sits at 86,000 today having no finals success for 20 years.

I genuinely often ponder what Collingwood crowds and membership would be in 20 years if it too had the 20 years Carlton, Essendon and before them, Richmond all had. I’m not convinced they’d be any better than Essendon’s over the same period.

team playing well gets supporters to their games.

color me surprised.

The Pies attendances fall away as much as the other big 4 clubs. Go back to around 2015-17 I think, they were drawing between 22-29K to the MCG against interstate sides. They were getting poor crowds. The difference between Collingwood and the likes of Carlton and Essendon is they haven't endured a sustained period of failure like these clubs.

Given this is a Bombers thread, I’d say Essendon’s crowds and members had held up as impressively as any other club whilst navigating its down period. The saga year aside which is really an outlier year * given half the list couldn’t play, it’s base ‘floor’ crowds have arguably been as good as Collingwood’s. Even this year, it hasn’t drawn less than 30,000 at home (Giants - 29K - respectable) and its games at the MCG have drawn huge crowds in every case. Its membership sits at 86,000 today having no finals success for 20 years.

I genuinely often ponder what Collingwood crowds and membership would be in 20 years if it too had the 20 years Carlton, Essendon and before them, Richmond all had. I’m not convinced they’d be any better than Essendon’s over the same period.
Collingwood were terrible from 1995-2001. Pies finished bottom 4 from 1998-2000 including the wooden spoon in 1999 yet still finished 2nd in total attendance’s and drawing over 1 million people in 1998 and 2000!

The difference is when Collingwood are winning the pies are the biggest drawing club in the competition. The Collingwood Army broke their home attendance record this year and also the home and away attendance record. Collingwood have the top 7 biggest home and away attendance records of all time including the all time attendance record this year even more remarkable is that we haven’t won a premiership in 13 years yet are drawing record crowds and will end the year with approximately 110,000 members. Just imagine if the pies had the recent success of a Richmond.

Essendon were only considered the biggest club due the Collingwood being down the bottom of the ladder when Essendon were successful.

As soon as Collingood made finals In 2002 and 2003 Collingwood quickly overtook Essendon in attendance’s in 2002 and in membership in 2003!

Also in 2002 and 2003 Essendon also made finals.

Not saying Essendon are not a big club they are probably the 2nd biggest Victorian club in Australia behind collingwood. Carlton are 3rd and Richmond 4th

Essendon were only considered the biggest club due the Collingwood being down the bottom of the ladder when Essendon were successful.

As soon as Collingood made finals In 2002 and 2003 Collingwood quickly overtook Essendon in attendance’s in 2002 and in membership in 2003!

Also in 2002 and 2003 Essendon also made finals.

Not saying Essendon are not a big club they are probably the 2nd biggest Victorian club in Australia behind collingwood. Carlton are 3rd and Richmond 4th

Factor in Essendon 7 home games at marvel as well.

But yes I’d largely agree with your ranking of supporter bases for the big 4.

Brad Scott would understand this but he has basically been given a terrible list and will need to somehow win a flag with it within the next 3 years and finals is a must next year. Otherwise he will be white anteded out for Hird.

Brad Scott would understand this but he has basically been given a terrible list and will need to somehow win a flag with it within the next 3 years and finals is a must next year. Otherwise he will be white anteded out for Hird.
If the Bombers bring back Hird as coach then that'll set them back at least another decade imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back