What do Essendon stand for as a club? What is their culture, fanbase, what makes them unique?

Remove this Banner Ad

They are a big club so they stand for a lot of things.

A few points stand out.

1. Tolerance. Essendon were one of the first (maybe the first?) VFL club to break ranks on religion in the 1920s, bringing Catholics into a pretty Protestant club. Cf Hawthorn where they did not until the 50s. They weren't the first with indigenous players (Fitzroy in the 1930s blazed the trail) but contrast favorably with my club and Hawthorn since the 1970s.

2. Constantly present. 16 flags and a lot of finals lost too, the Bombers front up more than any club except Collingwood. The current drought is as bad as their 1970s drought, otherwise they have been a power club in most decades.

3. Not as arrogant as other big clubs. Hear me out. Their success in the 80s and 90s produced a few idiot supporters, but frankly nor as much as us, Richmond or the leaders Carlton. Even Hawthorn has more arrogant fans than Essendon and they are a midget club unless you count pet memberships. I feel the club is the same.

The exception is when it comes to their two golden boys Hird and Coleman, who they cannot think straight about. Coleman medal? Lol, flash in the pan, by no metric the best goalkicker or the best FF.

4. Dirty. The great Essendon sides in 84/85 beat a tough dirty Hawthorn senseless. I believe they had a reputation back before the 70s too, not as wild as the Tigers but tough enough.

5. Gloomy. Not the club, the supporters. I can't explain it exactly but I worked with dozens of Bomber supporters and their attitude was summed up by one bloke "winning? I can take it or leave it, but I don't like losing". Cf Collingwoods silly optimism "six flags in a row" and getting milked by the bookies. The Bombers i knowcwere always worried it couldn't last.

T3. Not as arrogant as other big clubs. Hear me out. Their success in the 80s and 90s produced a few idiot supporters, but frankly nor as much as us, Richmond or the leaders Carlton. Even Hawthorn has more arrogant fans than Essendon and they are a midget club unless you count pet memberships. I feel the club is the same.
Just curious - what do you base this on? IMO all the successful clubs are 'arrogant' to a degree.

I just want to give you a bit of insight into the core of the modern Essendon team,
they're a bunch of unique individuals, Hurley, Heppell, Bellchambers, Myers, Riemers, Shiel etc..
we're gonna get ehh...engage, with our minds and our hearts.
we're gonna exchange ideas, thoughts, and even our energy..
but listen, to speak from your heart, you need to have courage,
you need to be honest, and authentic, but look, we're not always gonna get it right,
and sometimes you're not gonna 'gree with us, but that's ok, because just like you,
we care, jus like you, we're passionate about the game, so if you wanna come along for the ride,
join us on saturday arvo'

because we just love the footy!!!

Essendon imo right now (least at board and corporate sponsorship level) are like Collingwood in the 1980s and Carlton of much of the last 20 years.

Happily living in the past from Happy Land, living in a gum drop house on Lollipop lane, naivety assuming their history, massive fanbase will automatically bring them success and flags on field (without actually doing the hard yards requited to get it)

They are very financially well off (making profits ever year) and their board is rarely under any threat from disillusioned members of a board spill.

The ironic/sad thing is that since Sheedy was sacked as coach (and he was) James Hird is/was the only major figure with any kind of power (as coach) at the club who desperately wanted The Dons to win and add more premierships, and yes he did take the "whatever it takes" adage too far.

You know what ? If I was an Essendon board member who wanted on field success and ambitions for finals wins and eventual flags, i have voted for Hird to return over the safe, cozy (and conservative) choice of Brad Scott.

Robbo and esp Sheedy are total pain in the asses, but also serious dyed in the wool Essendon people who want to the club to return to its place in the upper echelon of top 4 (on field) clubs.

My current impression of the Essendon Footy Club starting mainly from board and coterie/corporate level is this

Arrogant, Complacent , Conservative, No Ambition, Values profits over finals success..

Essendon imo right now (least at board and corporate sponsorship level) are like Collingwood in the 1980s and Carlton of much of the last 20 years.

Happily living in the past from Happy Land, living in a gum drop house on Lollipop lane, naivety assuming their history, massive fanbase will automatically bring them success and flags on field (without actually doing the hard yards requited to get it)

They are very financially well off (making profits ever year) and their board is rarely under any threat from disillusioned members of a board spill.

The ironic/sad thing is that since Sheedy was sacked as coach (and he was) James Hird is/was the only major figure with any kind of power (as coach) at the club who desperately wanted The Dons to win and add more premierships, and yes he did take the "whatever it takes" adage too far.

You know what ? If I was an Essendon board member who wanted on field success and ambitions for finals wins and eventual flags, i have voted for Hird to return over the safe, cozy (and conservative) choice of Brad Scott.

Robbo and esp Sheedy are total pain in the asses, but also serious dyed in the wool Essendon people who want to the club to return to its place in the upper echelon of top 4 (on field) clubs.

My current impression of the Essendon Footy Club starting mainly from board and coterie/corporate level is this

Arrogant, Complacent , Conservative, No Ambition, Values profits over finals success..
Perhaps then they go boots and all with Hird and Sheeds and cross fingers hope for the best

Just curious - what do you base this on? IMO all the successful clubs are 'arrogant' to a degree.
I made it up myself.

Carlton were the kings of arrogance, always pulling ****.

Essendon has once stuffed up (Dank) and had the good grace to dob themselves in. Yeah maybe they were warned.

I just feel the club and fans aren't as absurd as other big clubs and even some small ones.

I made it up myself.

Essendon has once stuffed up (Dank) and had the good grace to dob themselves in. Yeah maybe they were warned.

I just feel the club and fans aren't as absurd as other big clubs and even some small ones.

Dobbed themselves in them made sure that president who initiated it was gone, then went to full on spin/victim/deny/lie mode from midway through 2013 up until when they got punished early 2016.

Add in all their salary cap rorting in the 90s which Essendon people seem to have amnesia about.

I made it up myself.

Dob themselves in ??? .. Vlad most likely gave them a courtesy heads up, say "they're coming! best get on the front foot".

They have not been the same since Sheedy left, seems a bit like when Barrassi left Melbourne in the 1960's.

To be approaching 20 years without a winning finals appearance is an indictment.

They used to view themselves as the Manchester United or Chicago Bulls of the AFL. Only difference was that those teams used to win all the time. Funnily enough, they are more like those two teams now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon haven't been the same since leaving Windy Hill.
Feels like St Kilda when they were based out at Seaford.

I'm of the age group that still harbors a healthy fear and respect for Essendon, despite their extended period in the wilderness and the ignominy of Hird's Choice.

In my time they were able to completely dominate the VFL circa 84/85; all but unbeatable and tough.

The 1993 and 2000 flags were secured with an imperious quality that only underlined their credentials one of the top handful of clubs in the country.

23 years is a drought for a team so accustomed to success.

Anyone who really knows the Essendon area knows it is a pretty bleak landscape. Essendon fans were tough and loved the success of the team that represented their unglamorous neck of the Estates.

The Bombers also have a strong record in their engagement with the Indigenous communities of Australia compared to most of the old VFL clubs; this adds to their unique appeal I imagine.

They are a big club so they stand for a lot of things.

A few points stand out.

3. Not as arrogant as other big clubs. Hear me out. Their success in the 80s and 90s produced a few idiot supporters, but frankly nor as much as us, Richmond or the leaders Carlton. Even Hawthorn has more arrogant fans than Essendon and they are a midget club unless you count pet memberships. I feel the club is the same.

This is definitely not my experience with Essendon supporters.

I still had a mate last season claiming they were closer to a flag than Brisbane.

They are the Tigers of the 80s 90s and 2000s
Worse than Richmond. We went 16 years without winning a final. Made the Grand final in 1982, prelims in 1995 and 2001, and flags 2017 onwards. Which is not great. But......

Essendon are now at 20 years without a finals win by 2024, and have all their work in front of them.

How is that work in front of them looking?

They still are hamstrung by the same list manager, still have appalling player development, have few leaders on the ground, have an experienced coach who in reality didn't achieve much at North, and they are about to lose arguably their best midfielder Parish to another club.

How are Essendon perceived from outside the club?

Once successful and proud club. Arrogant supporters.

Now medocre and meek. Kicked out to the edge of the city by a bowls club. Salary cap breaches, the drugs saga. Legends of the game now banished to the margins.

No leadership. Soft football brand.

Probably the gift joke of the afl that keeps on giving.

A perpetual cycle of self announced off-season premiership expectations by strangely still arrogant supporters and media heroes, only to ever end in dramatic failure 6 months later.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back