When does Bomber Thompson come under scrutiny?

Remove this Banner Ad

Blue and Gold Blood

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2007
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
west coast
It seems as though the media is giving Bomber Thompson a free ride in 2014, because he is supposedly just a caretaker coach until the return of James Hird. But the fact is that Thompson is in charge of a team that finished 7th last year despite all the drama with the ASADA plaguing their whole season. This year the ASADA stuff whilest still in the background, is something that you could argue is less of a distraction now than it was last year.

Having watched a few of Thompsons post-match media conferences, its as if he is barely taking the season seriously. Cracking jokes with the journos, leaning back in his chair with his hands behind his head, does a lot more smiling and laughing than any coach ive ever seen, especially after a loss. I get the feeling the bloke has lost the plot. Tonight the bombers have lost a close game that will probably see them drop outside of the top 8, yet Bombers attitude and demeanor is that of a person who hardly gives a s**t.

Are Essendon fans happy for this season to be a a write off? What do they think when they get home from a heart-breaking loss, and see this ex-Geelong premiership coach laughing and smiling and cracking jokes with the journos and being a smart arse in front of the cameras? Maybe the millions of dollars that members fork out and the millions of dollars that sponsors pour into the club means nothing to Thompson.

Anyone else think that he needs to pull his head in and show some responsibility?

Having watched a few of Thompsons post-match media conferences, its as if he is barely taking the season seriously. Cracking jokes with the journos, leaning back in his chair with his hands behind his head, does a lot more smiling and laughing than any coach ive ever seen, especially after a loss.
Kind of reminds me of this coach who won a premiership in 07/09, cant remember his name

Just saw his press conferance and he seems to be taking a very light hearted approach to the loss. I simply think its because he knows hes only there for this year and theres really no pressure on him to lose his job. I wouldnt be joking around like he was after a loss like that considering his side had a chance to consolidate a spot in the finals today and coughed it up.

It seems as though the media is giving Bomber Thompson a free ride in 2014, because he is supposedly just a caretaker coach until the return of James Hird. But the fact is that Thompson is in charge of a team that finished inside the top 7th last year despite all the drama with the ASADA plaguing their whole season. This year the ASADA stuff whilest still in the background, is something that you could argue is less of a distraction now than it was last year.

Having watched a few of Thompsons post-match media conferences, its as if he is barely taking the season seriously. Cracking jokes with the journos, leaning back in his chair with his hands behind his head, does a lot more smiling and laughing than any coach ive ever seen, especially after a loss. I get the feeling the bloke has lost the plot. Tonight the bombers have lost a close game that will probably see this drop outside of the top 8, yet Bombers attitude and demeanor is that of a person who hardly gives a s**t.

Are Essendon fans happy for this season to be a a write off? What do they think when they get home from a heart-breaking loss, and see this ex-Geelong premiership coach laughing and smiling and cracking jokes with the journos and being a smart arse in front of the cameras? Maybe the millions of dollars that members fork out and the millions of dollars that sponsors pour into the club means nothing to Thompson.

Anyone else think that he needs to pull his head in and show some responsibility?

What presser were you watching? He was filthy at the way they played, that was more than evident.

He might crack some jokes but heaven forbid someone in football show a bit of PERSONALITY.

Can't speak for Bombers fans but as a neutral I'm loving his work atm.

Just saw his press conferance and he seems to be taking a very light hearted approach to the loss. I simply think its because he knows hes only there for this year and theres really no pressure on him to lose his job. I wouldnt be joking around like he was after a loss like that considering his side had a chance to consolidate a spot in the finals today and coughed it up.
Thats exactly what im getting at. Not showing much respect to the essendon fans being as jovial as he is after a loss. Its just wreaks of someone who has a massive ego and thinks he is not a part of the club.

To be fair, he doesnt havent much to work with. Other than Zaka and Rider, all the good players are approaching 30.

Even if most of their players somehow avoid getting busted for cheating, I cant wait for the return of Albert.

The future is bright.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair, he doesnt havent much to work with. Other than Zaka and Rider, all the good players are approaching 30.

Even if most of their players somehow avoid getting busted for cheating, I cant wait for the return of Albert.

The future is bright.
o_O.... Oh, :drunk:

For some reason I agree I think he's actually a touch crazy and needs a psych. just my expert opinion

But the fact is that Thompson is in charge of a team that finished 7th last year despite all the drama with the ASADA plaguing their whole season.

There's still every chance that after this round, they'll still be in 7th position.

Should they realistically be higher? I don't really think so. I don't think they're better than anyone who's above them on the ladder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back