When will we win our next premiership? (With poll)

When will we win our next premiership?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeh, I don't think Buckley will be coaching in 2020 which will be a shame because I would have loved for him to be a premiership coach.

I would be shocked if he was our coach past 2016 even to be honest.

It's too hard to predict when our next flag would be. Things can change over a whole off season, coaches come and go and players are the same. It's hard to predict how quickly or slowly our players will develop, just look at Port Adelaide, it only took them a preseason and a new coach to change everything around.

It's hard to know where we are at because we were 8-2 this season and looked awesome but our last ten games were just awful and they are the ones that are fresh in my mind rather than our opening 10 games.

There is no way I can see this squad having the skill or the pace to win a flag.

It is impossible to predict how the draftees of last year and this year will impact the side though - we don't even know who they are for this year, apart from Moore - and who we can get as free agents over the next 2 years. It's probably a minimum 3 year process from here. It took 2-3 years for the 2005 draft to have any impact and 5 for it to deliver a flag along with the 2006 draft and even then the flag required better trading at the end of 2009 than we'd generally done previously and since.

All in all I'd say we could be an outside contender in 3 years and a strong contender in 4 years if a lot goes right. History doesn't favour the probabilities though.

Same time Swan, Cloke, Pendlebury have all retired?
I think those five have a lot of potential,obviously we would need to have some improvement across the board and some additions too.

Swan is in decline, but Pendles could still be going strong too in 4-5 years.
Hopefully we get Jeremy Cameron to come over next year to replace Cloke.

I'll be honest and say I voted we won't win a premiership with this current list and Bucks - But it's not because of Bucks, just because I think the lists of our competitors and the assistance that will be given to expansion clubs will see us always behind the 8-ball.

The list we have now is not good enough. The on field commitment and gut running doesnt seem to be their from a team that wants to challenge for a flag in the near future.

I think we'll peak and be competitive as GWS and GC do, but I'd expect simple things like drawers to favor others.

Hope I'm proven wrong, just my gut.

But don't get me wrong - I'm happy if we always remain competitive because come September - you just never know

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We base it on history it won't be for a long time.....................
Depends we won in 1910 and in 2010 then after 1910 we won 1917 and 1919 in that same decade so if we base it of that history our list of premierships will look something like this 1902, 1903, 1910, 1917, 1919, 1927, 1928, 1929, 1930, 1935, 1936, 1953, 1958, 1990, 2010, 2017, 2019

I'd love to win one in the next 5 years but it's just too hard to predict these days.

So many variables, so many things that need to go right, luck etc.

We just need to develop the list to put us in a good enough position to challenge.

If we nail everything off field (drafting, trading, free agency, injuries etc) then we should have a flag by 2020 or at least contested for one. I would be aiming to challenge the top 4 by 2016 and from 2017 our window should start to open up again.

What would be more interesting is to see where everyone things other team lists will be over the next 10 years.

We have the expansion teams who we know will be competitive and continue to attract quality either through the draft or FA and then some lists like NM which continue to improve, minus Greenwood off course, Brisbane in a few years if they can find 2-3 quality KPP more likely through FA or poaching, Port on the up, WCE I think will be competitive if they can get some youngsters to click and I'm liking what the Dogs are doing with their list.

We are right up there as long as our juniors continue to improve.

What would be more interesting is to see where everyone things other team lists will be over the next 10 years.

We have the expansion teams who we know will be competitive and continue to attract quality either through the draft or FA and then some lists like NM which continue to improve, minus Greenwood off course, Brisbane in a few years if they can find 2-3 quality KPP more likely through FA or poaching, Port on the up, WCE I think will be competitive if they can get some youngsters to click and I'm liking what the Dogs are doing with their list.

We are right up there as long as our juniors continue to improve.
Hehe. Best 5 players have an average age of about 35.

Depends we won in 1910 and in 2010 then after 1910 we won 1917 and 1919 in that same decade so if we base it of that history our list of premierships will look something like this 1902, 1903, 1910, 1917, 1919, 1927, 1928, 1929, 1930, 1935, 1936, 1953, 1958, 1990, 2010, 2017, 2019
:thumbsu:

Clubs are comparing themselves to recent flag winners when their 'window' started to open.
Pelchen: our list is at the same stage as Hawthorn was in 04-05 so we're on the right track.
McCartney in a conversation during a VFL game: this list is at the same stage as Geelong were in 04 so we're on the right track.
Carlton recruiter in a conversation during a gathering: we think we'll be at the same stage as Collingwood 06 by the end of next season.
All three were at or closely connected to the said premiership teams. IMO, doesn't count for much and are selling hope to fans or busily trying to justify their positions but saying " hey look, we aren't that far away because blah blah blah.
Too many variables to consider before you even get close to predicting accurately. Analysing lists and administration flaws is good fun but unless you have intricate knowledge of what goes on inside, fun is all it's going to be.

Back