Strategy Where are we going as a football team?

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s a long long way back for this club!
This is the worst state I have seen this club since the late 90’s.
There is major issues through the whole place, and a lot more going on than what the supporters know. We are in serious trouble I believe and will be down for quite some time.

Have a look at the place, look at the players, look at the coaching staff.
Dont need to be on the inside to know there is issues.

The way you were talking I thought you had some actual insight. Guess not.

Need a complete overhaul of our coaching panel. Get Buddha Hocking back. Can't believe he was the one let go cause of Covid and spuds like Harvey/Sanderson kept their jobs. The only thing worse than firing Bucks now would be to have Harvey come in as caretaker.

Need a complete overhaul of our coaching panel. Get Buddha Hocking back. Can't believe he was the one let go cause of Covid and spuds like Harvey/Sanderson kept their jobs. The only thing worse than firing Bucks now would be to have Harvey come in as caretaker.

Give the caretaker role to someone who has managed their own team and that is Skipworth.
It wont be Harvey.

Give the caretaker role to someone who has managed their own team and that is Skipworth.
It wont be Harvey.

God I hope so. Has there been examples in the past where assistant coaches have been replaced midseason?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always enjoy reading Les' pieces.

He posts occasionally on Nicks and has a podcast called "The Collingwood Rant".

I still think we'll be better off longer term for moving on Treloar and Phillips. But I seemed to be in a minority on these boards that had concerns about there shortfalls.

Stevo was always going to be a more complex discussion. He's young and still developing. But even he wasn't without his on-field flaws. Time will tell what he'll deliver as he matures.

It would be nice to get a few rising star nominees this year.
That’s about all I can think of to salvage something out of this year. Can’t even look forward to getting some good draft picks, since we’ve traded most of them away.

Historically you get 2 genuine attempts in a 9 year cycle, we're at 3 o'clock

2002 2003 (GF GF)

7 Years

2010 2011 (GF GF)

7 Years

2018 2019 (GF PF)

7 Years

2026 2027

Not exactly true. In the 2010/2011 era, we also made the PF in 2007, 2009, 2012.

I'm hoping 2018/2019 was more like 2002/2003 where we overachieved but then dipped for two years 2004/2005 to load up on talent (Cloke, Pendles, Thomas) to start a new long era of making finals and challenging for the flag. We should then start looking at the finals again in 2023, after 3 strong draft pool years (2020 with 5 top 30 picks, 2021 with the No 1 pick, 2022 with a top 5 pick, plus an elite free agent in the next 2 years).

I still think we'll be better off longer term for moving on Treloar and Phillips. But I seemed to be in a minority on these boards that had concerns about there shortfalls.

How are we better off?
- We didn't get quality draft picks.
- We don't have quality younger players coming through in those positions that need more game time.
- We are still paying at least one of them to play at another club therefore we didn't clear much cap space.
- We don't have better draft picks as we traded ours away.
- Members and supports are disillusioned at the way it happened.
- We got a whole heap of negative press.

What actually improved?

Not exactly true. In the 2010/2011 era, we also made the PF in 2007, 2009, 2012.
Sure you could still get lucky but all those were either leading up to the window or leaving it, you get 2 good years and you have to have everything from injuries to recruits go right for you

How are we better off?
- We didn't get quality draft picks.
- We don't have quality younger players coming through in those positions that need more game time.
- We are still paying at least one of them to play at another club therefore we didn't clear much cap space.
- We don't have better draft picks as we traded ours away.
- Members and supports are disillusioned at the way it happened.
- We got a whole heap of negative press.

What actually improved?

If you know my history I wasn't the most plastered on fan of Stevo, Treloar, and Phillips. I've posted plenty about the flaws of each. Add that I'm really optimistic about our kids. You see it differently, that's fine.

Most of the rest of what you claim above is just feeding into the hysteria of a few and being driven by the media. I'm not swayed by it.

An article in today's The Age by Peter Ryan

Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley is embracing the challenge ahead of him despite ongoing board turmoil and his contract dominating discussion about the underperforming Magpies.

He declared the team to be in resetting phase after their poor start to the season and were focusing more on the way they play than the result as they look to develop a new look list to once again contend for a premiership.

His comments come just weeks after new president Mark Korda said finals were still on the agenda. “I am energised for it. This is a challenge. You either put the white flag up or you dig in and have a real crack,” Buckley said.

He said supporters were entitled to expect the team showed grit and determination and that was their immediate objective. He praised his on-field leaders for their efforts and said they may have been trying too hard in recent weeks, and that he had instructed them to focus on performing their roles and trusting their teammates. He declared the difficult period they were enduring would build resilience among team.

Buckley addressed the board ructions which has president Korda meeting with disgruntled supporters to try to stave off moves to gather enough moves for an extraordinary general meeting and a potential challenge from AFL identity Jeff Browne.

He said the loss of long-serving president Eddie McGuire in February was so significant it would take time for the Magpies to move forward in his absence.

“All fans want to see is that there is some stability and we don’t have that at the moment but we are definitely searching for it,” Buckley said.
“Losing a big identity like Ed is not without its trauma, we are going through a process of resetting and settling off the back of that.”

He said the team was capable of playing better and the Pies’ scoring woes needed to be addressed but said it was more a case of sustaining what they have shown in the first quarters throughout an entire match.

He said despite uncertainty over whether his contract would be extended beyond 2021 he was coaching for both the present and future of the club.

“We have a passion and perseverance towards the long-term goal and we are going to show that grit and determination. We hope the fans see that in the next few weeks,” Buckley said.

Always enjoy reading Les' pieces.

He posts occasionally on Nicks and has a podcast called "The Collingwood Rant".
I enjoyed the Rant and used to listen regularly.
However, after the last few episodes, I've decided I needed a break. When the same criticisms are repeated ad nauseum, with no new insights offered, it becomes just a little too much like annoying whinging. ;)
Similarly, with Les's articles on the Roar. They are becoming rinse and repeats of what was said five articles before.
To someone who has not listened to them before, they can be initially entertaining though. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back