Bumped Who do you NOT want your club to draft? (2014 edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Weitering looks a decent full back in the Simon Prestigiacomo mould but would you spend no.1 pick on that? Not for mine. He doesn't do much wrong but I just haven't seen a wow factor or much upside given he has generally outsized the kids he's been up against. I don't see much difference between Weitering and Collins who is tipped to go mid-late first round. That's where I'd place Weitering personally.
Your assessment goes against anything I have ever read or heard about him. Prestigiacomo is SO far from any comparison that I have heard suggested.
He's a CHB, not a FB.
He uses the ball superbly, elite kick, and provides his share of run off HB. Rare qualities in a player of his size.
Has excellent hands, and uses them to intercept opposition kicks.
He's a wonderful athlete. Has very good pace and a mature body. Ran a 15+ beep at the combine.
Has a high football IQ. Reads the game very well.
Is a kid who is mature beyond his years. Projects to be a leader.
Has played well against senior opposition already, including AFL listed talent in the VFL, dispelling your assertion that he has just looked good because he is bigger than the kids he is playing against. He's no Jack Watts!

I'm not sure he can tick any more boxes than that. All of this would suggest considerable WOW factor, and HUGE upside.
He is a consensus number 1 pick. There is no debate. If there were any doubts, given Carlton's biggest need is a key forward, why aren't they considering Schache? A kid who kicked more goals in the Under 18 carnival than anyone ever has.They're not because Weitering is as sure a thing as there ever is in a draft.

Cant believe the comparisons of Curnow to Stringer/Bont/Darling/Gunston. Hes slow and has horrible kick cant play midfield kicking like that. He also has knee concerns on top of that plus hes at an in between size which gives me concerns about his AFL position.

Alot of in between sized forward players just havnt made it that have been top picks (Thorp, Grant, Watts ect).

Im also not huge on Parish whilst i think he will fill out quite well with his frame which differs to other opinions. Im not sure if he will be quick enough to be an outside prospect or tall/big enough to be an inside prospect plus he doesnt have an AFL engine.
Sam Mitchell isn't quick.
Sam Mitchell isn't tall/big.
Sam Mitchell doesn't test well for endurance.
Sam Mitchell is an outstanding footballer who beats blokes who are quicker, bigger with larger tanks every week.
There is more to football than just the physical.

Alot of in between sized forward players just havnt made it that have been top picks (Thorp, Grant, Watts ect).
But in your previous sentence you mentioned Stringer, Bont, Darling and Gunston.
3 mid sized forwards who didn't make it, 4 that did make it.
Your own evidence doesn't support your theory.

Project Ruckman.

Already have Read and Lucy developing and with Stanley, Smith, Clark, Vardy and Blicavs no more required.

Anyone that is not going to be played in the position they are drafted as. I don't want a defender who can play back, a flanker who can push in to the midfield. If we are going for a midfielder, pick a genuine mid ie. Gresham, none of this bonner business.

Sam Mitchell is an outstanding footballer who beats blokes who are quicker, bigger with larger tanks every week.

But in your previous sentence you mentioned Stringer, Bont, Darling and Gunston.

Mitchell is an elite kick both sides. For me Mitchell is extremely agile and also very quick over the first 10 metres.

Id also think his endurance would be pretty good.

You clearly didn't understand my post. Curnow doesn't possess what Darling, Stringer, Gunston possess which i outlined in the post you quoted

Your assessment goes against anything I have ever read or heard about him. Prestigiacomo is SO far from any comparison that I have heard suggested.
He's a CHB, not a FB.
He uses the ball superbly, elite kick, and provides his share of run off HB. Rare qualities in a player of his size.
Has excellent hands, and uses them to intercept opposition kicks.
He's a wonderful athlete. Has very good pace and a mature body. Ran a 15+ beep at the combine.
Has a high football IQ. Reads the game very well.
Is a kid who is mature beyond his years. Projects to be a leader.
Has played well against senior opposition already, including AFL listed talent in the VFL, dispelling your assertion that he has just looked good because he is bigger than the kids he is playing against. He's no Jack Watts!

I'm not sure he can tick any more boxes than that. All of this would suggest considerable WOW factor, and HUGE upside.
He is a consensus number 1 pick. There is no debate. If there were any doubts, given Carlton's biggest need is a key forward, why aren't they considering Schache? A kid who kicked more goals in the Under 18 carnival than anyone ever has.They're not because Weitering is as sure a thing as there ever is in a draft.

That afl listed talent is no longer afl listed - it was the last early selection bust for Carlton in Matthew Watson. As I said he doesn't do anything wrong but he is not amazing. He's looked ordinary up forward for mine. As a defender yeah Weitering is good but so is Collins and these players are easier to find IMO.

Schache on the other hand looks an absolute gem. Natural forward who leads well and rarely misses a set shot. He's clearly the best player in draft for mine and I think Carlton will be making a mistake overlooking him.

Weitering looks a decent full back in the Simon Prestigiacomo mould but would you spend no.1 pick on that? Not for mine. He doesn't do much wrong but I just haven't seen a wow factor or much upside given he has generally outsized the kids he's been up against. I don't see much difference between Weitering and Collins who is tipped to go mid-late first round. That's where I'd place Weitering personally.

If you know anything about football then all you need to do is watch Weitering kick a drop punt to see how good he is.
He is one of the best drop punt kicks I've ever seen for a Tall.
When he hits them the ball spins so perfectly it's not funny.
Presti is just way off the mark o_O

If you know anything about football then all you need to do is watch Weitering kick a drop punt to see how good he is.

Tom Fields was a great kick of the football...

Jack Watts is a great kick for a 196cm player. Should be number 1

It's easier to dominate a game as a key forward or midfielder. But I think if you are that good as a CHB you can do it.

I agree Collins is pretty good as well and mid first round is where I'd usually take a key defender.

But if Weitering can intercept mark, rebound with run and carry and defend then he can get it 20 times and game and use it well, plus lock down an opponent and go a long way to controlling an entire backline.

Rance has done that at Richmond for quite a few games and Rance was an awful kick who is now a solid at best kick.

Now if there are doubts of Schache and no obvious midfielder standouts then I'd go the tall defender if he's a lock and can contribute both in defending and attacking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

are these highlights? i thought this happened 50 times a game? #LivingtheHawthornLife :p

oh and i hope our first 2 picks arent spent on recruiting Milera
Just goes to show how spoilt you lucky Hawthorn supporters are. I'd be rapt if we executed a foot pass like that 50 times a season!

That afl listed talent is no longer afl listed - it was the last early selection bust for Carlton in Matthew Watson. As I said he doesn't do anything wrong but he is not amazing. He's looked ordinary up forward for mine. As a defender yeah Weitering is good but so is Collins and these players are easier to find IMO.

Schache on the other hand looks an absolute gem. Natural forward who leads well and rarely misses a set shot. He's clearly the best player in draft for mine and I think Carlton will be making a mistake overlooking him.
I think you mean, 'he's not amazing in my opinion'. Which is an opinion that runs contrary to the vast majority (a haven't actually read one opinion that wouldn't take Weitering at No.1, not one) of learned Under 18 football writers and watchers. The fact that Carlton are not even considering Schache despite their desperate need for a key forward should tell you all you need to know about Weitering. I'm not sure how your assessment of Weitering looking ordinary as a forward is even relevant, given he is certain to be playing as a defender.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but not all opinions are created equal ;)

Sam Mitchell simply put is a gifted FOOTBALLER and that is why he is so good on a football field..every other attribute that gets thrown around about players I.E. height ,speed,aerobic capacity etc are a very distant second to being a gifted footballer

I think you mean, 'he's not amazing in my opinion'. Which is an opinion that runs contrary to the vast majority (a haven't actually read one opinion that wouldn't take Weitering at No.1, not one) of learned Under 18 football writers and watchers. The fact that Carlton are not even considering Schache despite their desperate need for a key forward should tell you all you need to know about Weitering. I'm not sure how your assessment of Weitering looking ordinary as a forward is even relevant, given he is certain to be playing as a defender.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but not all opinions are created equal ;)

I thought the same of Jack watts who all these same experts claimed as no.1. Sometimes the hype catches on so everyone jumps on the same gravy train.

Weitering = Leppitsch
Schache = Lloyd
Francis = Goddard
Parish = Sloane

The other three I take before Leppitsch hence why I have the three above Weitering.

Weitering is by far the number 1 pick. Pretty much can guarantee yourself a 200 game + general in the backline. From what I hear, he has strong leadership skills.

To compare him to Jack Watts is a joke. Watts didnt have the same authority as a wietering and also a player who is completely different.

And obviously Watts has zero leadership skills. In fact, he is really only playing Afl because he still have the reputation of being number 1 pick.

I'd hate to see Carlton pick up a good one, but here they go.

I thought the same of Jack watts who all these same experts claimed as no.1. Sometimes the hype catches on so everyone jumps on the same gravy train.

Weitering = Leppitsch
Schache = Lloyd
Francis = Goddard
Parish = Sloane

The other three I take before Leppitsch hence why I have the three above Weitering.

Seems an awfully odd way of picking players.

Also, on what earth is Sloane ahead of Leppitsch anyway?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back