Bumped Who do you NOT want your club to draft? (2014 edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

R212013McKenziePass.gif

R062014McKenzieKick.gif

There is more to being a player than a lace out pass.

To be fair, whilst you in likelihood went too early on him I think he's shown enough that he won't be a complete bust. Plenty to like about him from what I saw this year.

There's a bit to like about Boekhorst.

I have never had anything against him personally. It is not his fault the recruiter massively over-reached for him like he did nearly every year with project players.

Boekhorst is showing "signs" of "maybe" being a "handy" player.

About what you would expect from a 3rd Rounder to a Rookie. Which he should have been.

I agree on Weideman, I think he might be a bit overrated at this stage. He has a good set of hands, but I don't think he's been able to put together a solid enough body of work to date. Not saying he won't be a decent player, I just think there may be some other players from the 4-10 range that are surer bets.

Mathieson is another one I'm not sold on. Gets a bunch of the ball, but tends to give off dinky hand passes that don't do much damage.

Having said that, if Carlton pick either of them I'll revoke my comments..

I agree on Weideman, I think he might be a bit overrated at this stage. He has a good set of hands, but I don't think he's been able to put together a solid enough body of work to date. Not saying he won't be a decent player, I just think there may be some other players from the 4-10 range that are surer bets.

Mathieson is another one I'm not sold on. Gets a bunch of the ball, but tends to give off dinky hand passes that don't do much damage.

Well said. re: both players.
I actually think we might see Mathieson slip out of the 10.
Everytime I see us linked to Weideman, I die a little bit. Would prefer Curnow to do the exact same job.
I don't think it's about the "twin towers" anymore, it's about the single big target and a medium like Stringer, Darling or Gunston.

Hoping that Mathieson slips all the way to our first pick. We've been heavily linked to him all year by those that tend to have good Saints mail on our board and there is every chance we would have taken him at pick 5, had we kept it, so if we were to get him with our first now it would be an awesome result. Seems like it may be a decent chance, too, as the likes of Cal Twomey and Brett Anderson are tipping him to be available there.

Don't want curnow , people presuming he becomes a good mid like Bont or cripps

He's not quick and he's not as footy smart as cripps

Prefer a proven forward or proven mid and not an inbetweener

Curnow is more like Stringer than either one of those two players. He is basically a leadup CHF/HF that will spend some minutes in the middle.

Curnow is more like Stringer than either one of those two players. He is basically a leadup CHF/HF that will spend some minutes in the middle.
He is not explosive like stringer , ran 3.15 and 3.18 sec 20m in combine and he should be over his knee injury

Cunow will end up nothing like stringer in my mind , he will be good but not a top 10 player from this draft on reflection

Can you expand on this? Just curious.

Weitering looks a decent full back in the Simon Prestigiacomo mould but would you spend no.1 pick on that? Not for mine. He doesn't do much wrong but I just haven't seen a wow factor or much upside given he has generally outsized the kids he's been up against. I don't see much difference between Weitering and Collins who is tipped to go mid-late first round. That's where I'd place Weitering personally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah Chee/Rioli

At 14 would love Tucker, Mathieson or Gresham.
Tucker underwhelmed a little this year but I have confidence he'll continue to grow with AFL-development and become a guy who spends most of his time in the midfield. Tough, provides outside run and his kicking is superb; definitely suits a glaring need for us. Mathieson is more inside and not as flashy, but a real pure footballer with plenty of ability to play in the midfield clinches. Gresham is another I'd like, plenty of talent but is shorter than the others, which doesn't bother me too much but would love to get Matho/Tucker at around 185cm as we have a few smaller sub 182 mids already. Not that it means too much but it is become a big-mid era.

I just think Ah Chee/Rioli aren't pure enough mids/I'm not confident in either of becoming great mids. Think there's a bit of bust risk too whereas the others I'm more confident with. Will happily eat my words and watch Ah Chee progress if we take him at our pick (and if he's available, not saying Rioli because he shouldn't be going that high regardless), as last year I did say I didn't want Paddy Mac. Not because I thought he was crapped, but because I was admittedly obsessed over Petracca at the time haha.

Full trust in the recruiters, especially after our massive draft successes in the past few years, but would love to see one of Tucker/Matho and Gresham taken if they're available, seem to be the players we really need.

So he will be a good player, just like DeGoey. That's fine, but he was called a 'star'. If he is a star, what does that make players like Heeney, Brayshaw, and even Moore. Not many 1st year big men kick 5 goals in a losing team. He could be as good as Cameron. Maybe he is a superstar.
Maybe Moore will be. They all had a better run at it re injury than Ellis. Like Moore a lot, and LOVE Brayshaw. Have to admit to not seeing enough of Heeney. I don't think Ellis is a star, I think if he stays fit he SHOULD be a very very good player. All I said was people will have a different opinion of him. I am probably just defending the kid, as he just has that certain something.

Cant believe the comparisons of Curnow to Stringer/Bont/Darling/Gunston. Hes slow and has horrible kick cant play midfield kicking like that. He also has knee concerns on top of that plus hes at an in between size which gives me concerns about his AFL position.

Alot of in between sized forward players just havnt made it that have been top picks (Thorp, Grant, Watts ect).

Im also not huge on Parish whilst i think he will fill out quite well with his frame which differs to other opinions. Im not sure if he will be quick enough to be an outside prospect or tall/big enough to be an inside prospect plus he doesnt have an AFL engine.

He is not explosive like stringer , ran 3.15 and 3.18 sec 20m in combine and he should be over his knee injury

Cunow will end up nothing like stringer in my mind , he will be good but not a top 10 player from this draft on reflection
If you saw him play before and after the injury then you would definitely of noticed he lost his explosion over his initial few steps due to returning to playing too quickly.

People said stringer lobbed around with a limp post injury and playing AFL. Short memories imo.

Weiderman. The talk is John Butcher-esque. I don't like the idea of a bloke whose only highlights are for AIS - and average ones at that.

If Collingwood had a high draft pick then Weideman.

Has got huge wraps on him for very little output.

I think he'll end up like the recently delisted Grant

Remove this Banner Ad

Back