• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Moggy

Premiership Player
Sep 7, 2012
Oslo
AFL Club
Geelong
Thought it might be interesting to look at how well these three ex-Cats have done in 2015 after being cut loose by Geelong.

Of course, Hunt and Hamling were de-listed while Trav was traded for Clark.

Trav and Hunt have both played 22 games, which I believe means they haven't missed one!

Also, Hamling and Hunt are both lining up for finals this weekend, with Hamling shouldering even more responsibility with the unavailability of Jordan Roughead. Trav Varcoe is regarded by some as having had his most consistent season yet. He certainly did well against us a couple of weeks back.

Whaddy'all think?

compare.jpg

Hamling's been taking 1 contested mark in defence per game. Not bad for a fairly skinny lad. He looks the goods whereas Hunt and Varcoe being older, don't appear to have any more upside left in them.

If picked to play next week v Adelaide, Hamling is going to be tested like he never has before given Adelaide have three very tall and powerful forwards. If he passes that test, Cats should rightfully be cursing themselves for not even giving the bloody kid a go!

Statistically, not much in it between TV & TH.
Reading posts on BF from respective teams, TV is certainly a surprise for most Pie fans, who preseason, were less than flattering about the prospect of TV in their team.
I liked them both at Geelong, and interestingly, first season ever both have not missed a game.
Hamling will develop further next year, and both TH and JH can elevate their status further with finals.

Hamling's been taking 1 contested mark in defence per game. Not bad for a fairly skinny lad. He looks the goods whereas Hunt and Varcoe being older, don't appear to have any more upside left in them.

If picked to play next week v Adelaide, Hamling is going to be tested like he never has before given Adelaide have three very tall and powerful forwards. If he passes that test, Cats should rightfully be cursing themselves for not even giving the bloody kid a go!
According to afl.com.au, with Roughead out, it is going to be Hamling + one other trying to hold out Tex and Jenkins.
That'll test him alright!

Actually watched him against the Roos the other week, and except for when he is forced to wrestle, his reading of the game and timing of his jumps, etc was pretty good.

Probably a better bet than Delaney on our list right now, but he needed games and we couldn't give him that.
I mean, Kolo hadn't gotten a run until deep into the season!

According to afl.com.au, with Roughead out, it is going to be Hamling + one other trying to hold out Tex and Jenkins.
That'll test him alright!

Actually watched him against the Roos the other week, and except for when he is forced to wrestle, his reading of the game and timing of his jumps, etc was pretty good.

Probably a better bet than Delaney on our list right now, but he needed games and we couldn't give him that.
I mean, Kolo hadn't gotten a run until deep into the season!

Is Talia fit?

who's Hamling ? ( just kidding:D)
Have to be Varcoe on exposed form but let's see if he can keep it up once he settles into the comfort zone that he so often occupied with us.

All these guys have done really well since leaving the cats - good on them :thumbsu:.

Varcoe is probably leading the pack and has certainly improved his form since arriving at Collingwood. He has also added a harder edge to his game. Has been a good pick up for them providing plenty of run and carry.

Hunt has done well to establish himself inside Richmond's 22 and has played a couple of really good games for them. Richmond are good team with plenty of young talent so for poodle to cement himself there has been a step forward.

Hamling hasn't set the world on fire but has managed to crack the senior team and play a few games. Looked OK at his time at Geelong but I couldn't really see him getting much senior opportunity. It remains to be seen whether he will have a successful AFL career but he certainly has taken steps forward at the Bulldogs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree that Varcoe has been the best til now, but will be interesting to see the other two featuring in a final or two.
Especially Hamling has his work cut out for him!

Has to be Varcoe. Midfield move has allowed him to find the ball more often and improve his consistency - didn't really get this opportunity at the Cats with a peripheral forward role. Seems like he's actually relishing the extra responsibility.

Hunt has snuck under the radar but been very solid, absolutely the way he got under North's skin last week. Haven't seen much of Hamling but the fact he's getting semi-regular game time suggests he's been an asset to the Dogs, which just wasn't possible in a backline already containing Enright/ Lonergan/Mackie/Taylor and then an improving Thurlow.

If you talk to Pies supporters they say TV could win the Copeland
They must have been crap then Sttew,his 2014 season at Geelong got him the flick and going by the stats his 2015 season at Collingwood was no better and he's a candidate for the Copeland,they're f---ed.

Last edited:
They must have been crap then Sttew,his his 2014 season at Geelong got him the flick and going by the stats his 2015 season at Collingwood was no better and he's a candidate for the Copeland,they're f---ed.
You're probably right, but TV has been incredibly consistent at Collingwood. Played 22 games this year averaging 17.18 disposals a game (averaged 13.5 at Geelong). 89 tackles in 2015.

You're probably right, but TV has been incredibly consistent at Collingwood. Played 22 games this year averaging 17.18 disposals a game (averaged 13.5 at Geelong). 89 tackles in 2015.
2014 Average disposals at Geelong was 15,39 to 17.18 this year so less than 2 kicks a game and 1 extra goal and 1 extra tackle for whole year.I know your not talking him up,but it appears some are still a little TV struck, no great improvement with a change of club IMO but still he had the best season of the 3 candidates I'll give him that.

2014 Average disposals at Geelong was 15,39 to 17.18 this year so less than 2 kicks a game and 1 extra goal and 1 extra tackle for whole year.I know your not talking him up,but it appears some are still a little TV struck, no great improvement with a change of club IMO but still he had the best season of the 3 candidates I'll give him that.

;)

Back