Hot Topic Who should be our next coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 11, 2008
Carlton
AFL Club
Carlton
(I could not find a dedicated coaching thread, despite the media discussion - mods please merge if I have made an error).

There's a lot of speculation about who should coach Carlton from 2016.

Parkin today in the H-S declared Malthouse perfectly capable of rebuilding the list.

KB signed Mick's termination letter today on SEN, citing the equivocation of the CEO.

The CEO has been measured in his remarks, as has the President, but neither would give Mick confidence about his tenure beyond this year.

I remain undecided. I think Mick is capable of overseeing cultural change. I also think he's a great leader of men and would trust his to create the kind of environment where young players thrive. I also see limitations in his approach, tactically and interpersonally.

Is he right person for the Blues in 2016 and beyond?

Or do we look to the group of young up and coming coaches, like Bassett, Tudor and Kirk?

Or do we take a more traditional Carlton approach and look for someone with premiership experience (Woosha) or someone with coaching experience (Voss)?

This is the biggest decision our club faces, together with the appointment of SOS.

I think we need to show marked improvement if Malthouse is to stay on. I've always been on the MM bandwagon but we don't seem to have improved tactically in that time - we still make the same mistakes we did 3 seasons ago.

If we do move on, I'd prefer to give someone like Basset a crack. Maybe Kirk (could still be a bit green). Don't want crazy Vossy and I don't think experience guarantees results.

I think we need to show marked improvement if Malthouse is to stay on. I've always been on the MM bandwagon but we don't seem to have improved tactically in that time - we still make the same mistakes we did 3 seasons ago.

If we do move on, I'd prefer to give someone like Basset a crack. Maybe Kirk (could still be a bit green). Don't want crazy Vossy and I don't think experience guarantees results.

Kirk is a fascinating one. Has chosen footy before what would have been a very good media career. Clearly has passion to coach. I suspect being at Freo means he's out of sight for most Victorians. He was an inspirational captain, who was part of modern incarnation of the Bloods culture. He is also a bit out there in many ways. I see him as a potentially transformational coach. He's learned the trade under Roos, Longmire and Lyon. Presumably he and Lyon retained a great respect for each other after Lyon left the Swans as Assistant Coach.

Bassett has just done everything right on paper. Hard to look past him.

I can't help but think that the game will perhaps pass him by enough that Mick will either remove himself or we'll choose to go with someone else, at that point.

In the meantime, I do think he's capable of instilling some important positives in the club and helping some players thrive. I have to admit I don't have a heap of confidence in him to really get us going with his typical style of gameplan. Would need an almost complete list overhaul to accomplish that and even then, I can't help but worry opposition teams have worked out Mick's boundary-type gameplan a long time ago.

I dont think MM will want to coach for another 3 to 5 years to fully rebuild us, so i think he will retier at years end. Just my opinion.

Some interesting names mentioned, didn't even think of Kirk!
Tudor and Thompson are the two I've always wanted to see take over if we were to get rid of MM. Although Thompson appears not to have the hunger to coach anymore, he always seems disinterested.

Would definitely not be opposed to Bassett or Kirk. Both would be very capable of bringing something new and fresh to the CFC.

Though if either of those names weren't available, I'd be happy to see MM still in control.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trigg said we want to see where we are at the half way point of the season. Obviously if the players have dropped their bundle and aren't fighting to keep Mick, the question has been answered. If they respond and we are competitive throughout, then you stay the course with the guy who knows how to do it.

Trigg also said that we have to take our time ... because we can't afford to get this wrong. Our margin for error is slim.

MM only needs to worry if he wants to continue and has the full backing of the board, players and media. That is when you know the knives are out.

Trigg said we want to see where we are at the half way point of the season. Obviously if the players have dropped their bundle and aren't fighting to keep Mick, the question has been answered. If they respond and we are competitive throughout, then you stay the course with the guy who knows how to do it.

Trigg also said that we have to take our time ... because we can't afford to get this wrong. Our margin for error is slim.

I tend to agree with your assessment, but it's tricky. You would hope the players, as professionals, don't drop their bundle. The coach won't - he'll keep on trying to win. It is possible that the players will play for Mick and the jumper, but that it simply won't be good enough because our tactical approach to the game is wrong - and that can only be changed with fresh direction and outlook from the top.

I tend to agree with your assessment, but it's tricky. You would hope the players, as professionals, don't drop their bundle. The coach won't - he'll keep on trying to win. It is possible that the players will play for Mick and the jumper, but that it simply won't be good enough because our tactical approach to the game is wrong - and that can only be changed with fresh direction and outlook from the top.

To be competitive throughout they will have to show that the game plan is working. I do believe that our game plan looks so bad because we are not working hard enough OR smart enough to make it work. If they don't give the game plan the appropriate respect, we will continue to do poorly and the decision is made. They have to back Mick and his game plan because just putting in for Mick isn't enough on its own. I suspect we will continue to be near enough but not good enough on many occasions and completely drop our bundle in another game or two as that is what we have done for years.

Carlton wants SOS's great mate - Ross Lyon FACT. Unlikely - but who knows.

Why can't we keep MM involved in some capacity and get the coach for next 3-5 years ie Nathan Bassett / or M Voss?

Carlton wants SOS's great mate - Ross Lyon FACT. Unlikely - but who knows.

A fact is something that has really occurred or is actually the case. The usual test for a statement of fact is verifiability, that is, whether it can be demonstrated to correspond to experience.

I don't know that this fits in the 'fact' basket just yet. Can it be verified?

Why can't we keep MM involved in some capacity and get the coach for next 3-5 years ie Nathan Bassett / or M Voss?

Because Mick didn't want that sort of role at Collingwood with Buckley as coach, why would he want it at Carlton?

Malthouse will coach out the season and there will then be a huge review done on his position. He will be offered a new contract but it will be on a significantly reduced amount and if he doesn't take it, the club will appoint a new person on that same amount.

This is just my opinion but I feel the vultures have just started to circle now ......

Agreed Mick stuff should be in there. This thread was more about who should be coaching 2016 and beyond, not more dissection of Mick.

Not usually a fan of pie in the sky threads, but as long as it is constructive discussion we'll see how it goes. It's directly related to the club and plausible scenarios given the club's wait and see until mid season approach and intense media speculation.

Does Malthouse want to stay and rebuild for another 5 years?

If he is in I'd have no problem with him taking his time and doing a legitimate rebuild.

I expected he would have addressed the flakiness of the list by now. It's okay to not have the quality and therefore need to bring some in, but it's not okay that in Mick's third year we still can't get the guys to give their all on many occasions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back