Who's Better - Nathan Fyfe or Tom Rockliff?

Remove this Banner Ad

Who cares about the media? They don't know much. Rockliff is having an incredible season and is already a very good player. I'm surprised everyone is saying Fyfe by such a margin, although I think Fyfe is slightly ahead. Only because he is so spectacular!

He is currently equal fifth in the whole AFL for contested marks. The only people above him are ruckman and key forwards. But Rockliff as a pre-season draft seletion was a masterstroke in recruiting.

I want an "I'll take both of them" option.

the point of this thread was not just to compare Fyfe and Rockliff as players, but also to bring attention to Rockliff and highlight the comparative lack of recognition he's received from both the media and footy followers for his season so far

Agree, doesn't seem to be rated but I've always been a fan of him :thumbsu:

Fyfe is very overrated whilst Rockliff is very underrated.

However Fyfe probably still has him covered.

:confused:

Yes, a 19 year old kid who hasn't yet filled out into his frame, who is a very good chance for all australian selection and almost certainly going to be Best and fairest. But yeah overrated.

If Rockliff didn't get injured in round 10 i think, the gap between Rockliff and Fyfe would be much smaller.
Rockliff's last two games are very close to Fyfe's best two games of the year.

Nathan Fyfe is one of the most exciting youngsters I've seen in a while. He reminds me a lot of James Hird. Not a lot of muscle on him, but he's deceptively strong in a contest and terrific overhead. He's taken some great contested marks this season and he's a ball magnet with good endurance. He's one of those players that just seems to have that extra touch of class that most don't possess. And don't forget where he came from, folks. He's a Claremont boy! :thumbsu:

I think Fyfe has done more to date although Rockliff can be quite a player when he's actually played in the midfield. Think next year we'll see what Rockliff is made of when he's played in the position he should be (midfield).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Fyfe has done more to date although Rockliff can be quite a player when he's actually played in the midfield. Think next year we'll see what Rockliff is made of when he's played in the position he should be (midfield).

What's interesting is that Rockliff led the TAC Cup in goalkicking in 2008, yet seems to have just average goal sense from the midfield, and little ability as a forward at AFL level (just 41 goals in 83 games).

What's interesting IMO is that Rockliff led the TAC Cup in goalkicking in 2008, yet seems to have just average goal sense from the midfield, and little ability as a forward at AFL level (just 41 goals in 83 games).

To be fair in the midfield he is just your basic 30+ disposals a game midfielder who will win clearances and tackle hard. He doeskin have a penetrating kick or anything but he is damaging with his decision making in tight and other ways.

Playing forward he is very capable. But in the first half of the year when we were playing crap the other midfielders were just bombing it on our forwards head. Rockliff uses his body very well but it make it a lot easier for a defender to stop a forward when your midfielder deliver it like that.

2 years on and I'd still vote for Fyfe-Rockliff catching up but Fyfe still has him covered imo

Fyfe still by a mile.

Rockliff is a very very very good footballer and any team would take him. But Fyfe does stuff no other player can do. Yes he can have a shocker kick every now and then but the contested work and his marking are freakish as in could be the best of his generation style. Its like saying who would you rather Adam Simpson or James Hird...

Rockliff can pile on a ton of possessions but at the end of the day isn't as damaging as Fyfe on the field. Two different players though so it's a hard match up

Rockliff can pile on a ton of possessions but at the end of the day isn't as damaging as Fyfe on the field. Two different players though so it's a hard match up
Freo people all say this just because they see the two games where our team score 20-40 points. I think they need to dig a little deeper than that, because it's pretty hard to be damaging if your the only player getting a pass mark on their post game review.

Rockliff is on par with Fyfe IMO. The difference is, one player is in a top 4 team and the other is in a bottom 4 team.

You could almost mount an argument that Rockliff has been more impressive since he is a likely AA player in a bottom 4 team.

If Fyfe was swapped with Rocky in your below grade midfield, I'm sure he'd average the same stats as Rocky.

Rocky can't take an overhead grab like Fyfe nor can he be as damaging as Fyfe as a resting forward.

Yes Rocky's good, but not on Fyfe's level

Remove this Banner Ad

Back