Opinion Why are we (Collingwood fans) the way we are?

Be honest: do you ever hurl abuse at Collingwood players?

• Never

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • I have been known to tut tut, or even shake my head

Votes: 19 32.2%
  • Rarely (once or twice a season), but it requires acts of total spuddom

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Occasionally (some games), when players stuff up who should know better

Votes: 16 27.1%
  • Always (every game), I let players know when they stuff up

Votes: 5 8.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I was out getting some fava beans and chianti for lunch and magpie radio happened to be on community radio..... and the woman who runs that show is indicative of the worst in a collingwood fan. Her name is Jackie.

She took aim at the selection panel for picking the two new boys...... sooooo easy after the fact isnt it jackie? ....of course if they were stars last night she would have gone overboard in her praise...

And then she took strips off Jessie White.... well I dont know much about how you think fans should act in your world jackie, but in my world you dont kick one of your own players on community radio. I would expect that only a few people could bear to listen to this woman but that's not the point. I am a gentleman and I have been told never to refer to a woman as gutless but that's the only way I could describe her behaviour.

You say that she is a fan and has a right to express her opinion....well she holds a position with the western magpies because of the club. No one would listen to her if she didnt hold that position. Instead of trying to bignote herself, she should take a minute to reflect on the enjoyment that the club has brought to her because she holds a position with the western magpies supporter group.

Dont not be fooled that this is ranting ....stirring or trolling or any other cool internet term, I am totally disgusted in the behaviour of this woman and I think she should resign... I had to turn the radio off because I was so disgusted in her rant. I was also ashamed at the totally unprofessional behaviour that they demonstrated on the show. They sounded like a pack of drunks. I turned the radio on after geting back from the supermarket and one of the western club's - the dockers i think - were having their show. The obviously professional approach was immediately apparent and contrasted starkly with the inane amateurish boorish behaviour that the western magpie group demonstrated...

8 players with less than 30 games?
2 making their AFL debut?
That's more than half the team!
And have a listen to the coach's post game interview.

I suggest you start looking a little further in front than the tip of your nose.
So that automatically mean we'll be better 2-3 years? What about the guys that won't be there. Varcoe Swan Toovey maybe Pendlebury Cloke Goldsack.. Is there not enough experience on the list already? You want 22 players with 100 games experience? Doesn't really work that way and if it did it doesn't automatically mean you'll be the best out there.
Check the 2010 prem team. How much experience did
Brown
Wellingham
Sidebottom
Beams
Reid
Thomas
Pendlebury
Dawes
Blair
McCaffer
Goldsack

Have... Did we make excuses we were too young and the flag would automatically come in 2013 instead of 2010 because we were too young?

I was out getting some fava beans and chianti for lunch and magpie radio happened to be on community radio..... and the woman who runs that show is indicative of the worst in a collingwood fan. Her name is Jackie.

She took aim at the selection panel for picking the two new boys...... sooooo easy after the fact isnt it jackie? ....of course if they were stars last night she would have gone overboard in her praise...

And then she took strips off Jessie White.... well I dont know much about how you think fans should act in your world jackie, but in my world you dont kick one of your own players on community radio. I would expect that only a few people could bear to listen to this woman but that's not the point. I am a gentleman and I have been told never to refer to a woman as gutless but that's the only way I could describe her behaviour.

You say that she is a fan and has a right to express her opinion....well she holds a position with the western magpies because of the club. No one would listen to her if she didnt hold that position. Instead of trying to bignote herself, she should take a minute to reflect on the enjoyment that the club has brought to her because she holds a position with the western magpies supporter group.

Dont not be fooled that this is ranting ....stirring or trolling or any other cool internet term, I am totally disgusted in the behaviour of this woman and I think she should resign... I had to turn the radio off because I was so disgusted in her rant. I was also ashamed at the totally unprofessional behaviour that they demonstrated on the show. They sounded like a pack of drunks. I turned the radio on after geting back from the supermarket and one of the western club's - the dockers i think - were having their show. The obviously professional approach was immediately apparent and contrasted starkly with the inane amateurish boorish behaviour that the western magpie group demonstrated...

You've posted about this show before Markfs. Disappointing that they are given air time.

So that automatically mean we'll be better 2-3 years? What about the guys that won't be there. Varcoe Swan Toovey maybe Pendlebury Cloke Goldsack.. Is there not enough experience on the list already? You want 22 players with 100 games experience? Doesn't really work that way and if it did it doesn't automatically mean you'll be the best out there.
Check the 2010 prem team. How much experience did
Brown
Wellingham
Sidebottom
Beams
Reid
Thomas
Pendlebury
Dawes
Blair
McCaffer
Goldsack

Have... Did we make excuses we were too young and the flag would automatically come in 2013 instead of 2010 because we were too young?
No.
But if you listened to Bucks last night you would have heard him say this is a good team and they will be great, but no one knows if that will happen in a month, 3 months, a year or 3 years.

There are just so many factors involved.

You've posted about this show before Markfs. Disappointing that they are given air time.

i need to shop on sundays...

There seems to be a group of "fans" who think that being negative is the same as being passionate about the club. If they did some self-analysis they would discover that they would prefer to bignote themselves than for the Pies to win a premiership. They prefer to tell the world that the Pies will fail so that they can bask in the glory of being right if the Pies do lose....and of course, they slink away and keep a very low profile if we win... or maybe they use another nick eh...

What's considered abuse? An audible sigh towards Brown? Or what some spineless supporters used to do to Fraser?

I sigh in disappointment a lot but never properly 'abuse' one of our players.

The difference is being respectful when you make a comment. I sigh at Nathan Brown's bad disposal on occasions. I saw it right in front of me at subi oval last week but I didnt publicly abuse the guy. I understand that other people have different standards so I will keep my disgust to myself.

btw... how do you improperly abuse one of our players?

The fact that no-one has responded with "always" suggests a huge degree of reporting bias.

There are plenty on here who complain constantly, and yet when asked directly "how often do you complain", they would respond with "occasionally" or "sometimes". Its a very natural phenomena. Its why when doctors ask someone how much do they drink/smoke/eat junk food they know that people will always under-report, and when people are asked how much they exercise, they always over-report.

I think footy fans in general are pretty bad at this. I have plenty of friends who are eagles or dockers fans, and they are just as bad during the game. But once a game is done, they defend their players and their club to the N-th degree. We all get frustrated during a game - we get angry at the umps, we get annoyed when someone misses a set shot or makes a simple mistake, but for the most part I wish that once the game was over people could actually take a step back and look at the big picture and act like true fans of the club, rather than just people who want to keep pushing their own agendas and the same old arguments.

The difference is being respectful when you make a comment. I sigh at Nathan Brown's bad disposal on occasions. I saw it right in front of me at subi oval last week but I didnt publicly abuse the guy. I understand that other people have different standards so I will keep my disgust to myself.

failed on that it would seem

I understand the argument that we are a passionate bunch and need to vent but some of the comments on here and at the game are disturbing.

I cannot fathom how some people can have so much hate for a player who is on the team you supposedly support. After they have slammed them from pillar to post do they feel better? Does it make it easier to accept to loss? Or is it just human nature to always find the bad guy to blame when things don't go the way they wanted?

Either way, I think if this game or player can generate so much anger and hate within you, then I seriously think you need to reconsider what is important in your life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bronx cheers.

You see exactly the same thing in gameday threads on every other board. We are no different from any other group on BF.
Apart from our better hygiene and higher intellects, of course, that goes without saying...
I know I'm the way I am because of my passion for the game and love for the club I chose to support.
I know in the real world it's meaningless, but then so are many things people will die for, like religion and nationalism.
It makes me proud that AFL followers can be so passionate about their club and on the whole so considerate of the stupidity of others choices.
I choose Piedom.

You say that she is a fan and has a right to express her opinion....well she holds a position with the western magpies because of the club.

Are you sure about that??? (Bolded)

As far as I know, the club doesn't get involved in the running of supporter groups (I'm quite confident that they don't get involved in the running of Sydney's supporter group)

The strong impression I have of the club is that they have a deep belief that they are there to serve the members and supporters, it's not the other way around.

For example: If you formed your own supporters group, established a constitution, got a bunch of members together, gave yourself a website, sponsored a player, and then wrote to CFC saying "hey, we've formed a supporter's group called the 'Dry Witts', here's some info about us, would you be so kind as to list us on the supporter's page on the club website?" They'd probably make some enquiries, but I'd be surprised if they didn't oblige.

One possible exception to that is Joffa's role as head of the cheersquad. Is that an elected or appointed position? Dunno.

Last edited:
Are you sure about that??? (Bolded)

As far as I know, the clubs don't get involved in the running of supporter groups (I'm quite confident that they don't get involved in the running of Sydney's supporter group)

The strong impression I have of the club is that they have a deep belief that they are there to serve the members and supporters, it's not the other way around.

For example: If you formed your own supporters group, established a constitution, got a bunch of members together, gave yourself a website, sponsored a player, and then wrote to CFC saying "hey, we've formed a supporter's group called the 'Dry Witts', here's some info about us, would you be so kind as to list us on the supporter's page on the club website?" They'd probably make some enquiries, but I'd be surprised if they didn't oblige.

One possible exception to that is Joffa's role as head of the cheersquad. Is that an elected or appointed position? Dunno.

my lawyers have confirmed my mistake. I meant to write that the western magpies and her position exists because there is an entity called the collingwood football club.

although it's good to have independent fan groups who can say things that the collingwood media wouldnt.... jackie should remember that she wouldnt be on radio at all if the club didnt exist.... she gets a benefit of being able to spew her bile onto the wider world...

my lawyers have confirmed my mistake. I meant to write that the western magpies and her position exists because there is an entity called the collingwood football club.

although it's good to have independent fan groups who can say things that the collingwood media wouldnt.... jackie should remember that she wouldnt be on radio at all if the club didnt exist.... she gets a benefit of being able to spew her bile onto the wider world...

Well, that serves you right for voting for her to be President of Western Magpies ;)

It's not as if we are trying to win. so we should rest Cloke swan Toovey and pendles to freshen them up for next year.. Also we need to get as many games as possible into Moore and other first gamers. We need to keep Moore in for the next 5 or 6 games to get experience in to him and the other youngsters .. Looking good for 2017

Well, that serves you right for voting for her to be President of Western Magpies ;)

she sent me a voting form with her name under sarah allen.... so naturally i voted for her.

btw i need a high definition photo of sarah allen in a bikini for my screen saver ...

If you wanna hear some harsh critics come sit in M10 at the G for home games. Us fans that sit there are possibly the most critical Magpie fans going around.

Our players are of the referred to as 'useless' and 'idiots'. Seedsman, Goldsack and Cloke receive the most abuse by far. Even when we're winning the whole area criticizes the players.

However, we are passionate. We hate every opposition player and are not afraid to abuse the umps.

It's fair enough to criticize the players though. The majority of supporters support the club through memberships and merchandise. We pay our money. We are allowed to criticize. However, no opposition fans can criticize our players :p

In answer to the original question: Why are we (Collingwood fans) the way we are?
Ans 1: Cos not enough of us are surfers! (cos anyone who surfs knows that you can do everything perfectly...and still lose! And nothing teaches you how to persist like the ocean)

Ans 2: Because they weren't taken to the football by my grandparents and taught to live by Kipling's famous musing: 4+Sign.JPG

Back