Why aren't Shorten and the ALP doing better now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Is that like saying in footy. With better players, Hawthorn would led by 10 goals at halftime of last year's GF, instead of 40-odd points?

Well if it was a football analogy right now even with a team full of B and C graders Labor would be winning by 20 points. If Labor brought in a couple of better players off the rookie list, who are better than the senior players (like Andrew Leigh) they would be closer to 50 points up.

Well if it was a football analogy right now even with a team full of B and C graders Labor would be winning by 20 points. If Labor brought in a couple of better players off the rookie list, who are better than the senior players (like Andrew Leigh) they would be closer to 50 points up.

Yet here we are. Maybe, just maybe Labor have no idea either.

What's happening?

Are voters already factoring in Turnbull as PM?

I can't see that being the case. Most likely is that Abbott will stay as PM. The Libs would be nuts to follow Labor's example of changing a incumbent Prime Minister.

Does Shorten's performance deserve greater scrutiny?

There's nothing to scrutinise. He's a political midget with the personality of a house brick.

There's nothing to scrutinise. He's a political midget with the personality of a house brick.
If you think anyone can lead their party at a Federal level and be a 'political midget' you are deluded.
Is that like saying in footy. With better players, Hawthorn would led by 10 goals at halftime of last year's GF, instead of 40-odd points?
Leigh is great, but I think he has presentational weaknesses, just as Shorten seems to have communication weaknesses. Of course, if the policies are fine then I don't particularly mind about poor communication or whatever. Obama can tell a great story but hasn't been able to get the policy outcomes he'd like (the current fashion of the right-wing acting like spoilt children combined with the obviously hasn't helped). Negotiation, real politik and a strong idea of fairness are the key components.

Does that mean Bill Shorten = Matthew Priddis?

Tony Abbott = Campbell Brown?

Shorten would have to be absolutely loathed by Labor followers yet still be their only reliable performer to be the equivalent of Priddis.

What economic indicators suggest Australia is in better shape now than it was eighteen or so months ago?

Not many.

But if Labor continued in government we would be in larger debt and the economy would be just as shot.

By labor blocking nearly all of the government policies there is very little that the government can do.

Labour are not only blocking government policy to score points with green lefties, they are not providing an alternative solution.

The mining and carbon tax are not solutions that worked when labour was in power last and Australia became debt laden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By labor blocking nearly all of the government policies there is very little that the government can do.

I was under the impression that they don't need the ALP to pass legislation in the senate if they can get the support of the cross bench. Perhaps they might try negotiating with PUP etc? Is there a reason that won't work?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was under the impression that they don't need the ALP to pass legislation in the senate if they can get the support of the cross bench. Perhaps they might try negotiating with PUP etc? Is there a reason that won't work?

They have tried.

Greens oppose anything that is not related to their policies. PUP seems to only be making a name for itself. The "independents" are not independent (see Tony Windsor etc or are ludicrous see Leyonhelm.

It's more to do with the Libs inability to negotiate. Labor faced a hostile senate for many years yet in terms of passing legislation Gillard was one of the most productive PMs in history.
Even the acidic Rudd who led a shambles of a PM's Office and was by all accounts a nightmare to deal with personally and professionally managed to pass most of his legislation.
With a focus on policy & negotiation it can be done.

:thumbsu::thumbsu: Quality Ratts. Reminds me of

“The war situation has developed not necessarily to Japan’s advantage”
As I've explained to PR before, adding weak sauce to weak sauce doesn't make strong sauce.

But your own thumbs-up agree with you, so keep at it. ;)

It's a lot easier to get legislation through where there is surplus funds to fund the policies.

Since the legislation relates to cost-saving measures, Labour and the Greens won't look at the fiscal side of things and only look at the short term side of things.

It's a lot easier to get legislation through where there is surplus funds to fund the policies.

Since the legislation relates to cost-saving measures, Labour and the Greens won't look at the fiscal side of things and only look at the short term side of things.

that is exactly what they are not doing.

They are looking out for those who can't afford the cuts being levelled upon them. Those who don't and may never have the capacity to pay for things like health and education.

that is exactly what they are not doing.

They are looking out for those who can't afford the cuts being levelled upon them. Those who don't and may never have the capacity to pay for things like health and education.

Why never? If they are educated then surely they will use that education to increase their earning capacity thereby allowing them to pay for their education.

Maybe if LNP negotiated before legislating they wouldn't have had so many problems with the Senate.
However because their policies were unfair, easier to blame Labor even though there are several other members of the senate that they could get to pass legislation.

Or refusal to sell out... al la Gillard
You slavishly devote yourself to "I'd sell my arse to become PM" Abbott who has broken all his promises and just back-flipped on most of his policies.

I hope you understand the unintentional hilarity of your post.

You slavishly devote yourself to "I'd sell my arse to become PM" Abbott who has broken all his promises and just back-flipped on most of his policies.

I hope you understand the unintentional hilarity of your post.

Lol what exactly has TA achieved thats worse than open borders and 1200 dead, operation house fire, stopping the live cattle trade, the worlds biggest carbon tax and attempting to whack a 30% tax on mining as the industry teetered on the edge of a downturn? Please tell me, remembering the senate Labor Green voting veto includes Labor blocking $5b in savings they themselves proposed and the Greens inexplicably blocking fuel excise increases.

Last edited:
I know you normally act like a troll, but as you have typed some words that make you look like you want to listen to a response, here goes:
What exactly has TA achieved thats worse than open borders and 1200 dead
Nothing worse than that, unless you are one of these people that think debt is da wurst thing evaaaa, and you can't deny that there has been substantial and unnecessary mistreatment of asylum seekers already in custody, who the Liberals could've said were people who came here before they knew the 'sugar was off the table'.
operation house fire
The unfortunate deaths caused by private industry who were encouraged by the home insulation subsidy, most likely have been matched by workplace deaths in other govt-subsidised arenas under TA. The Hep A victims from the Chinese berries are apparently blaming the new, less-regulated trade rules. In terms of policies rolled out poorly or too quickly, TA exceeds Labor for failures, as shown by the many, many broke promises, backflips and policy re-formulations (up to the 5th version of the co-payment?).
stopping the live cattle trade
The impact to the renewables sector by TA would be equivalent or worse than the impact Gillard's decision had on the cattle trade. There are less jobs in Australia than there were before TA was elected, and there foreign affairs performance has been worse too. P*ssing off people is not good policy, especially if you then want to ask favours of them as with the death penalty requests...
the worlds biggest carbon tax and
Cost-of-living hasn't gotten cheaper under TA and damage to the environment has been worse. For pensioners life will get more expensive due to pension changes, and that's before considering how the oft-changed co-payment effects them.
attempting to whack a 30% tax on mining as the industry teetered on the edge of a downturn?
At least you admit they weren't in a downturn at the time, and the mining tax only taxed super-profits, so a substantial downturn would've removed the tax anyway. However, the enormous profits in mining are the reason for the two-speed economy that has costed 'cost-of-living' pressures, raised house prices and a high dollar. Removing the mining tax is not a positive. The FTAs may prove to harm local business far more, especially when you look at the haste with which they were signed.
Please tell me, remembering the senate Labor Green voting veto includes Labor blocking $5b in savings they themselves proposed and the Greens inexplicably blocking fuel excise increases.
Given the Green explained their blocking of fuel excise increases (they said the money raised was going to the wrong places), you can't then say it was 'inexplicable'. If your complaint is that the economy is worse under Liberals due to the $5b of Labor savings that they no longer agreed with, then we can apply the 'what's worse than' test and see that the Liberals have been far worse for the economy, doubling the deficit in their first year, failing to address ongoing structural deficit, running up unnecessary charges on royal commissions, school chaplains, additional plane purchases, while removing revenue from the carbon tax, MRRT, Medibank, etc... Yep, the Liberals have been worse on the economy.

But at least you knew not to ask 'Whats worse than Gillard's lie?' as we all know that is the main thing this Government has been far, far, far worse on.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back