Worst job you had and why you quit

Remove this Banner Ad

Working in a butcher shop when I was 14 (15?) was terrible, and looking back I probably should have taken it further.

Was cash in hand and good pay and hours. So awesome - keen to work...

But I worked with a bunch of old bats, who I could have sworn were going senile - I lost track of the number of times where I watched them drop knives in a sink full of water and detergent, leave, come back later, cut themselves on the knife and then blame me. And then they would take the rest of the day off and I'd have to stay late and finish off their s**t jobs. At least 5-6 times I reckon. I wasn't dumb enough to leave a sharp knife in a full sink. And then the actual butcher was a filthy **** of a man who would 'hilariously' dryhump (14 year old) me, and told me about his girlfriend's vagina and how it didn't smell right. Also told me how the 13 year old girl who worked in the fruit and vegetable shop that was in the same building was "gonna be a stunner", and would wink at her. I talked to her occasionally (admittedly, she lived locally until I was 18 and she was pretty attractive) and she asked me once if I'm also creeped out by him. As far as I can remember she quit soon after I did.

Anyway, I quit the week before Christmas, the busiest time of year for them. Lots and lots of hams to be weighed and customers to be served. Mates were all heading to the beach. Got a phone call "where are you, are you going to come in?" or something, told him to get ****ed (was first and only time I have sworn in front of my mum - she almost blew her top but then I explained why I said it). That was that.

Been fairly lucky otherwise - other jobs have had their sucky parts but never felt threatened/scared/upset to go to work.

My first full time job out of school was a real campaigner, packing containers for Fosters exports

We would usually do 5 20foot containers a day, 2 guys. Each container would have 2k slabs if they were cans, 1400 if they were bottles, and 330 if they were kegs. So each day we would lift off pallets somewhere around 3-4k slabs each, and stack them in containers, from the floor to 9ft in the air.

It was crippling to start with, some days it seemed impossible and we get $32 per container. The hot days were torture, the sun hitting the containers would turn them in to ovens. Dust on top of the slabs that sat in the warehouse for weeks on end would stick to your face and eyes and you'd breath it in all day. Some pallets the slabs were glued together instead of wrapped, so you had to break the slabs off, which was easily the worst part about it all

But it was one of those jobs that once you got used to it, you just kind of did and went home, it became a little therapeutic because it was so simple.

Eventually though we lost Fosters as a client, and because I was valued as a worker they tried to shuffle me in to other areas, but there was really no work for me, so most of my days were spent wandering around in complete boredom. Eventually people started to call me a bludger because I never had any dedicated work, but bosses didn't want to fire me, but didn't want to fire anyone else and have me replace them because it was too much effort/not fair on them

Eventually I left when another opportunity came up, I was having a tonne of sick days, some days not even showing up and nobody really questioned it because I didn't belong anywhere specific

Face to face fundraising on commission only payment.

Never went home non-depressed and lasted only a few days.

Had a similar crap job, but it was selling raffle tickets for the Crows.

Had to travel all over the metro area, and into the Adelaide Hills, and in the end it was actually costing me money to work.

Then I had to go through it all again when my job agency sent me into a similar role selling electricity contracts for what was then Energy Australia (now Simply Energy). A heap of us got sent to this 'marketing company' to do 'in store promotions' (albeit I was only sent there because I requested a transfer to another employment agency and they were s**t scared they'd get no money from the government for me) and then once we signed the contracts it was, 'oh you're all doing door to door selling.' At least you got a (very small) retainer in this role.

Thankfully a mate got me a job in a call centre so I was able to get out relatively quickly.

Face to face fundraising on commission only payment.

Never went home non-depressed and lasted only a few days.
I did something similar too, except mine was a sales role.

I got hired in the second interview which was on a Friday and told them I could start Monday week, everything was great. I was excited, went out and bought some corporate clothes. Knew going into it that it was commission only, but I thought I would give it a shot.

I approached my first day with optimism. The hours were meant to be 8am-6pm (meaning in the field until 5, leave the office at 6). I would leave home at 6.45, and get to the office in St. Kilda Rd at 8. It was an hour of debrief then you'd head into the field at 9. My first day we went out to Noble Park. Had to use my own money I wasn't earning to top up my Myki. Was business to business sales stuff (like small shopfronts) - seeing if they were interested in signing up to ADT (the alarm company). Lots of foot work and trekking round in the outdoors - white guy who sweats a fair bit and burns pretty easily.

It's quite demoralising getting told no, not interested etc, and it's worse when people are just plain rude. I found out that if you find someone who signs up you make $200. Except you don't get paid until a month later from the date they signed the contract - provided they sign the contract etc.

You would need to return to the office each day to debrief and run through your day. My mentor, while he was a nice guy, he sort of dawdled a bit and wasn't so time conscious. He would take smoke breaks when we could be working and I thought he could have been a little more efficient. We would often get back after 6 which annoyed me a fair bit. I'd then have to get the tram back to Flinders, and then train home. First day, I got home at 7.30, ate, had a shower, watched a bit of TV and called my girlfriend who was in Europe at the time. Absolutely exhausted and carked it at 9.40.

Day two, my optimism remained. It was much of the same day two - Springvale Road. Nightmare. Didn't leave there til 5.20 and I think we got back to the city about an hour later. Home at 7.30 again. Ate, showered, watched a bit of TV, was dead to the world before 10.

Day three, I was starting to feel run down. Constantly on my feet, I had a very sore throat, headache etc. The long hours were taking their toll. We didn't get back to Flinders until 6.30 - thankfully my mentor just told me to go straight home. (I went to trivia that night, got home at 11 and was absolutely wrecked).

Day four - was talking to my rents about it that morning and my mum was saying she didn't think it was for me. I tried to be positive and said I would continue to give it my best shot. On this day - I was out in the field by myself in the afternoon, was pretty nervous and wasn't exactly filled with confidence. There was a period where I thought, * this, I will just go home (we were in Glenroy - I wasn't too far from home), but I persisted. We actually left the field at 5, and I think I was out of the office just after 6. I met my friend for dinner that night and she was asking me why I was doing it (had spoken to hear each day previously and told her what it was like), saying it wasn't for me and I should just quit. Came home and had the same conversation with my parents, they said they would support me with whatever decision I made.

I didn't go back. It was not something I enjoyed. I was coming home exhausted, no time to see my friends, and the time I actually had to myself was doing things I needed to do - eating, sleeping, bathing etc. Had about an hour to myself to watch TV. And to do all that work, and receive no money really irked me (even though I knew that going into it), and constantly walking around would have destroyed me on a hot day.

This was in December last year. Unfortunately I am yet to find another job yet, but I am glad I am not doing that still.

Not really a job, but reffing basketball games in my younger teen days was pretty bad. Where I reffed the referees were always known for being a joke so that didn't help.

Basically I would be driving twenty minutes each way for two games lasting close to fifty minutes to walk out with a whopping twenty dollars at the end. Forget about running up and down a court and having an easy game. Almost every game involved abuse, most of it pretty persistent and even if you reffed well you still tended to get abuse due to your partner or simply because some parents are clueless.

The abuse wasn't even the worst part. Having supervisors come and tell you to referee an under nines school game like an NBA game weekly was shocking as was there know it all attitudes on basketball. You would then get these ****heads reffing your games later that day/week.

As I was very young and shy then too having to talk to your partner during timeouts or breaks was horribly awkward. Most were older and had their cliques or some just didn't speak making for some very weird breaks.

I'm probably exaggerating slightly but I honestly don't understand how some people continue to ref through their late teens and twenties while at uni.

You're much better off umpiring football or soccer games where you actually get paid a fair amount for the abuse you cop.

I do enjoy it. Certain places. Depends on the area, I have had guys rib the s**t out of me, take it in good humour and not blow up, Then you have blokes who clearly foul and absolutely blow up because of it

I do enjoy it. Certain places. Depends on the area, I have had guys rib the s**t out of me, take it in good humour and not blow up, Then you have blokes who clearly foul and absolutely blow up because of it
Yeah that's the thing. Sometimes it could be fun and would go quickly but other times I just wanted out.

Like I said where I reffed was a pretty ordinary place to ref in my opinion. I don't have much patience either.

Took a year off school when I was 16 and went and worked as an offsider for a drilling firm in the NT. Was ******* tough, the guys found it pretty quickly I was a Pom and also travelled up from Victoria. Got beaten down a few times, however I did have a mouth on me. Was exhausting work, in Darwin it was ok but if we were sent out to Wyndham, Katherine or Tennant Creek for a couple of weeks it's was ****ed, had one messed up experience when we were sent to East Timor for three weeks. 18 hour days at times, mind numbing physical work and blokes who took 6 months before they would even talk to me. I popped a few muscles, shot some feral pigs from a chopper and quite a few other cool experiences but decided it was back to school for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Current job is the worst I've had. In a managerial position on decent coin, and have studied and worked hard to get here, but the stress is driving me crazy. KPI's, endless emails, long days, meetings, phonecalls. I f***ing hate it.

Look back with fondness on the easy jobs I had going through school and uni. Sure they were s**t (labour hire, butcher, trolley boy, furniture removal), but at least I could go home and not worry about getting phone calls at 4am, or coming into work with 100 new emails waiting for me. And the shitness of the job was neutralised by the great people I worked with.

The whole 'dream' career thing - it aint worth it....

Im quitting soon and taking a big risk to change career into something I want to do, so least there's something to look forward to

Working in a butcher shop when I was 14 (15?) was terrible, and looking back I probably should have taken it further.

Was cash in hand and good pay and hours. So awesome - keen to work...

But I worked with a bunch of old bats, who I could have sworn were going senile - I lost track of the number of times where I watched them drop knives in a sink full of water and detergent, leave, come back later, cut themselves on the knife and then blame me. And then they would take the rest of the day off and I'd have to stay late and finish off their s**t jobs. At least 5-6 times I reckon. I wasn't dumb enough to leave a sharp knife in a full sink. And then the actual butcher was a filthy **** of a man who would 'hilariously' dryhump (14 year old) me, and told me about his girlfriend's vagina and how it didn't smell right. Also told me how the 13 year old girl who worked in the fruit and vegetable shop that was in the same building was "gonna be a stunner", and would wink at her. I talked to her occasionally (admittedly, she lived locally until I was 18 and she was pretty attractive) and she asked me once if I'm also creeped out by him. As far as I can remember she quit soon after I did.

Anyway, I quit the week before Christmas, the busiest time of year for them. Lots and lots of hams to be weighed and customers to be served. Mates were all heading to the beach. Got a phone call "where are you, are you going to come in?" or something, told him to get stuffed (was first and only time I have sworn in front of my mum - she almost blew her top but then I explained why I said it). That was that.

Been fairly lucky otherwise - other jobs have had their sucky parts but never felt threatened/scared/upset to go to work.

You know this would pass as sexual harrasment?

Current job is the worst I've had. In a managerial position on decent coin, and have studied and worked hard to get here, but the stress is driving me crazy. KPI's, endless emails, long days, meetings, phonecalls. I f***ing hate it.

Look back with fondness on the easy jobs I had going through school and uni. Sure they were s**t (labour hire, butcher, trolley boy, furniture removal), but at least I could go home and not worry about getting phone calls at 4am, or coming into work with 100 new emails waiting for me. And the shitness of the job was neutralised by the great people I worked with.

The whole 'dream' career thing - it aint worth it....

Im quitting soon and taking a big risk to change career into something I want to do, so least there's something to look forward to
You in finance too?

Needed the experience.

Most places just write you off as a loser if you haven't worked before at age 19.

That's when you just say you worked at a family/family friends business for experience. Then you put down your footy coach or teacher or whatever as a reference and tell them you can give them "uncle XXXX" details for a reference if need be but thought it would be better to get impartial referees. Reference checks are genuinely pretty lax anyway. I put two down for my most recent job and one of them was a reference from a different area from the same company from a few years prior and they didn't even bother to contact that one which staggered me.

I haven't had that many jobs per se.

My previous main job wasn't the worst by all means but it wasn't the best. Spent 5 years at a local servo doing the same stuff every day - kitchen hand (cooking and cleaning), general duties inside and outside such as cleaning toilets and emptying bins etc, as well as working at the front counter.

For the first couple of years I was fine. Left school halfway through year 12 (had enough of school - wasn't going to achieve much by staying). Actually enjoyed it even though only got 1 day off and worked the other 6.

Last few years and especially last few months of it were hell. Coworker was getting favouritism over me in terms of days off and when she wanted and didn't want to work. I'd book a day off only to be told no over and over again because I needed to ask her first. My great uncle died a couple of years ago and naturally I was going to the funeral end of story. Even that was a headf#$k - it clashed with my bosses sons birthday weekend and was told they should've arranged the funeral at a better time! Was I supposed to tell my family "please don't die on this day or that weekend as my boss is doing something then"??? (I was begrudgingly, very begrudgingly allowed to go, even though I made it clear I was going regardless)

One constellation was that I was and am handing with IT stuff, I was able to make and print menus pretty quickly, and change the prices on the POS system (as well as tinker with the settings) and knew how to muck around with the EFTPOS system as well to suit their needs.

However the last couple of years were taking the toll on my mental and physical health and my general attitude to everyone around me including my partner and family.

I left just before Christmas in 2013, didn't leave in the best terms and burnt a bridge while I was at it however over the last year it has been rebuilt as such.

Over the ensuing months during that summer I worked various odd jobs including lawn mowing (which is pretty easy to find jobs other than halfwits who comment on your facebook posts saying someone else can do it etc).

I also did a week doing door to doors for Hannah direct. Commission of course and was told it was better than most. I needed the $$ so wasn't complaining too much but soon was. The areas we did weren't very nice and the manager even knocked on "No knocking etc" doors/signs which is illegal and we copped abuse for it. I eventually cracked the shits somewhere around Salisbury, mainly because I was hungry, thirsty, had no money and also had heat exhaustion. Anyway I was let go and was forced to make my own way home - thankfully I had a valid bus ticket still and the bus that went past took me straight to my partners suburb.

Also did odd jobs for a local farmer - including cleaning out of the header and other odd jobs. Actually had a good time.

Anyway saw a job advert at a local Foodland and naturally applied. Got a call a week or two later and was interviewed and subsequently hired. Been there ever since and am really enjoying my time there. Was there 10 months and got promoted to Meat and Milk Manager - after my boss (who I got along with well) was sacked by the company.

But all in all really enjoying my time there - place is like my second home and I enjoy spending time with the customers.

I did something similar too, except mine was a sales role.

I got hired in the second interview which was on a Friday and told them I could start Monday week, everything was great. I was excited, went out and bought some corporate clothes. Knew going into it that it was commission only, but I thought I would give it a shot.

I approached my first day with optimism. The hours were meant to be 8am-6pm (meaning in the field until 5, leave the office at 6). I would leave home at 6.45, and get to the office in St. Kilda Rd at 8. It was an hour of debrief then you'd head into the field at 9. My first day we went out to Noble Park. Had to use my own money I wasn't earning to top up my Myki. Was business to business sales stuff (like small shopfronts) - seeing if they were interested in signing up to ADT (the alarm company). Lots of foot work and trekking round in the outdoors - white guy who sweats a fair bit and burns pretty easily.

It's quite demoralising getting told no, not interested etc, and it's worse when people are just plain rude. I found out that if you find someone who signs up you make $200. Except you don't get paid until a month later from the date they signed the contract - provided they sign the contract etc.

You would need to return to the office each day to debrief and run through your day. My mentor, while he was a nice guy, he sort of dawdled a bit and wasn't so time conscious. He would take smoke breaks when we could be working and I thought he could have been a little more efficient. We would often get back after 6 which annoyed me a fair bit. I'd then have to get the tram back to Flinders, and then train home. First day, I got home at 7.30, ate, had a shower, watched a bit of TV and called my girlfriend who was in Europe at the time. Absolutely exhausted and carked it at 9.40.

Day two, my optimism remained. It was much of the same day two - Springvale Road. Nightmare. Didn't leave there til 5.20 and I think we got back to the city about an hour later. Home at 7.30 again. Ate, showered, watched a bit of TV, was dead to the world before 10.

Day three, I was starting to feel run down. Constantly on my feet, I had a very sore throat, headache etc. The long hours were taking their toll. We didn't get back to Flinders until 6.30 - thankfully my mentor just told me to go straight home. (I went to trivia that night, got home at 11 and was absolutely wrecked).

Day four - was talking to my rents about it that morning and my mum was saying she didn't think it was for me. I tried to be positive and said I would continue to give it my best shot. On this day - I was out in the field by myself in the afternoon, was pretty nervous and wasn't exactly filled with confidence. There was a period where I thought, **** this, I will just go home (we were in Glenroy - I wasn't too far from home), but I persisted. We actually left the field at 5, and I think I was out of the office just after 6. I met my friend for dinner that night and she was asking me why I was doing it (had spoken to hear each day previously and told her what it was like), saying it wasn't for me and I should just quit. Came home and had the same conversation with my parents, they said they would support me with whatever decision I made.

I didn't go back. It was not something I enjoyed. I was coming home exhausted, no time to see my friends, and the time I actually had to myself was doing things I needed to do - eating, sleeping, bathing etc. Had about an hour to myself to watch TV. And to do all that work, and receive no money really irked me (even though I knew that going into it), and constantly walking around would have destroyed me on a hot day.

This was in December last year. Unfortunately I am yet to find another job yet, but I am glad I am not doing that still.
It's complete BS that companies can get around minimum wage for whatever reason. End of 10'/start of 11' just out of school I needed some $$ and decided to take up being one of those guys who puts junkmail and s**t in letterboxes. Orders changed each week but on average it would take me about 8 hours to set up/do it per week and I would get maybe $30 or $40. Could have easily put this job in the thread. Did it for about a month then though * that, had a couple of weeks where I didn't do it even though I said I did so I got paid and then quit. Any job should be minimum wage base.

On a side note, if there is any industry full of kunts more than recruitment agencies then I would like to hear it. They put out ads for jobs (that probably don't exist) get you to drive out to them, sign up etc etc so they get their government bonus and then say that they will call you when there is work. You never hear from them. I know you gotta keep calling them every week or so asking for work but they are all complete campaigners

Working for a major supermarket chain, the layout of the warehouse is a dog's breakfast and the system for picking and packing is terrible.

Supermarket chain is currently making significant losses and is shitting their pants at the arrival of Aldi to WA and SA.

Most of the supermarkets of one chain owned by them are now closed down and taken over by Coles and Woolies because the clients (managers of these stores) have had enough of being treated like crap.

I have been told by a senior employee that the company makes losses over 20K a week in damages to goods from the warehouse largely as a result of the poor layout and picking system.

You learn a lot about the intelligence and the care some management staff really have.

You learn a lot about the intelligence and the care some management staff really have.

had the experience of working in a supermarket under management that were efficient and then new management that came along and decided to change a flawless system and stuff things up for the rest of the time i was their.

On a side note, if there is any industry full of kunts more than recruitment agencies then I would like to hear it. They put out ads for jobs (that probably don't exist) get you to drive out to them, sign up etc etc so they get their government bonus and then say that they will call you when there is work. You never hear from them. I know you gotta keep calling them every week or so asking for work but they are all complete campaigners
Aside from your impressive bypass of the swear filter, I agree with you on recruitment firms.
I worked as an operations manager for a retail business around 9-10 years ago and used a particular recruitment firm to help when we were going through a massive growth and expansion.
The commissions to them and a particular recruiter over a 2 year period were well over $60k
I was made redundant by my company, do you think I had any contact by the recruiter I used? Not one interview lined up, I had to chase this particular recruiter that I used to give all of my business to. Eventually I scored a job myself but the apathy by them in a time when I needed their help was disgraceful. They were happy to roll with the good times but didn't help me when I needed it.
After I moved into my new job, the phone rang again, congratulations aplenty, do I have any staffing needs etc etc. Those calls were never returned, even refused to accept their connect request on LinkedIn.
Recruiters don't have particularly good morals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back